Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. With our team I think 8th would be the least we'd expect and it would represent quite a poor season. Howard aside I honestly don't think many teams in the league have a better first XI than us.

8th position for a club funded like a midtable club + two good cup runs IS a good season. No doubt about that. No one could complain about that.

As for the quality of the squad: it's there but it's a developing quality. 8th would be a very tidy finish and a good base for next season.

I disagree. With our team I think 8th would be the least we'd expect and it would represent quite a poor season. Howard aside I honestly don't think many teams in the league have a better first XI than us.
Oh dear

I need to buy a pair of the blue tinted glasses

Right even with the best manager in the world where would we finish with our current squad? I'm saying 4th/5th?
Mourinho and Ancelotti as co-managers couldn't have got 72 points out of the squad Martinez inherited off Moyes, that's for sure.

This is Roberto's squad. He built it. He gets the chance to see his project through.

Alex Ferguson could probably win the league with this squad. He would of binned off Howard long ago for a start.

Do you think Leicester's squad is much better than ours?

Ferguson won the league by 11 points with this being his most used 11. Don't forget that De Gea wasn't as good then as he is now (by a LONG shot), and Evra and Ferdinand were in decline.

Pretty harsh on Roberto to compare him to Ferguson though haha.

OplAIpW.png

Ferguson won the league by 11 points with this being his most used 11. Don't forget that De Gea wasn't as good then as he is now (by a LONG shot), and Evra and Ferdinand were in decline.

Pretty harsh on Roberto to compare him to Ferguson though haha.

OplAIpW.png
Then Moyes came along....

8th position for a club funded like a midtable club + two good cup runs IS a good season. No doubt about that. No one could complain about that.

As for the quality of the squad: it's there but it's a developing quality. 8th would be a very tidy finish and a good base for next season.
In his last 7 seasons Moyes finished below 7th once, when we finished 8th. He didn't have the same kind of money to spend that Martinez has and didn't have as good a squad. Martinez is underachieving big time and a home win to Newcastle doesn't change that. The best side we have beaten in the league this season is Southampton. That is poor going.

Yes. Undpoubtedy. It's younger and inexperienced. We're building here and an 8th place finish plus two good cup runs is a good season. Very good in fact.
I think he's great. One big factor for me is how much players seem to love him. Both Lukaku and Delefeou chose to come here not just once but TWICE. Players that good (amongst the best in Europe for their age) would only come back if they thought Bob and his team would develop them and keep them happy. Del loves it so much he's borderline Duncan Ferguson. He'll have a tattoo soon. Give Bobby time, and more of these footballing treasures shall arrive and flourish, and everton shall become victorious again. Rome wasn't built in a day.

In his last 7 seasons Moyes finished below 7th once, when we finished 8th. He didn't have the same kind of money to spend that Martinez has and didn't have as good a squad. Martinez is underachieving big time and a home win to Newcastle doesn't change that. The best side we have beaten in the league this season is Southampton. That is poor going.
In his last two seasons Martinez has finished below fifth once.

Neither did the other clubs. All clubs now have money to spend so a bit of a lopsided point. I agree the squad is better because Martinez can spot and develop a player now all he has to do is keep playing them so they gain the experience that is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back