Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8th position for a club funded like a midtable club + two good cup runs IS a good season. No doubt about that. No one could complain about that.

As for the quality of the squad: it's there but it's a developing quality. 8th would be a very tidy finish and a good base for next season.

'8th position for a club funded like a midtable club is a good season.'

Moyes last 7 years from earliest to latest:
(funded like relagtion fodder had to make his own funds)

6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th

I knew you secretly liked Moyes. That is great praise you are giving him. Even I haven't praised him the way you are right now. I knew you where a WUM all along I never did take you seriously anyways.

When you consider the squad Moyes took over, the improvement he made by spending on average £6m net a year for 6 years (assuming your figures are correct) was pretty miraculous.

This. Moyes took over a terrible squad. We were in a bad way so couldn't really be picky when it came to a new manager.

This is why the Martinez appointment has always baffled me. We weren't that type of club any more where we had to take a chance on a manager. We were a top 10 club in one of the best leagues in the world, we should have been aiming a lot higher and for more experience.

Martinez at the end of the day could get it right in the end then all's good but for me it has been a gamble that didn't need taking by the club.

This. Moyes took over a terrible squad. We were in a bad way so couldn't really be picky when it came to a new manager.

This is why the Martinez appointment has always baffled me. We weren't that type of club any more where we had to take a chance on a manager. We were a top 10 club in one of the best leagues in the world, we should have been aiming a lot higher and for more experience.

Martinez at the end of the day could get it right in the end then all's good but for me it has been a gamble that didn't need taking by the club.
Completely level:
Who wouldn't have been a gamble? Vitor? Someone else that has never managed in England? Obviously you're not referring to the merry-go-round British managers.
Who would have come to us and wouldn't have been a gamble?

Vitors not a gamble, hes just a nailed on trophy winner.
Well, yeah. He's our saviour obviously, but at the time there was some debate between anti-Vitor heretics and Those Who Know.

Other than wise Vitor, there really wasn't a huge number of options for us that weren't gambles. And I mean, this board. They knew they couldn't stand in the presence of Vitor without their skin being blasted away by his raw animal magnetism. They had to choose someone else.

Oh for an ambitious board.

Many here are focusing on what Moyes achieved in his last 7-8 years and then judging Martinez based on that. In my view, Moyes was only able to sustain the league finishes because of the faith shown him while he tailored a squad to his tactics. I believe in what Martinez is building, despite my present frustration with how he sets up his defense. If the defense gets sorted, we could be really good. The talent Martinez is able to attract, coupled with the improvements we're seeing in all of the young players are enough for me to continue to believe that he is the right man to get the best out of this squad. It just kills that it isn't happening now.

The likes of me and you are always going to vote him in, and the one's who never wanted him in the first place would I imagine always vote him out, would be interesting to see if the one's who are still not sure, how their vote changed from game to game. Can see where your coming from though when you say people just wouldn't arsed to go and change their vote on the poll.

Think sometimes doing a poll after every game show how fickle we are, we win, the 'in vote' wins, we lose 'the out' vote wins.
I don't think it is all about wining games. More about the tactics, personnel and balance of the team. If we play well and lose 1-0 fair enough. If we keep losing or drawing from wining positions due to bad subs or our gung-ho attitude then fans have a right to show their dissatisfaction

Completely level:
Who wouldn't have been a gamble? Vitor? Someone else that has never managed in England? Obviously you're not referring to the merry-go-round British managers.
Who would have come to us and wouldn't have been a gamble?
We had just lost our manager to one of the biggest clubs in the world. I think our shortlist was very poor, we could have attracted much better.
I think it was a lazy list by the board. Blinded by an FA cup win and going unbeaten in Portugal if we believe that Vitor was the other one. Surely there was better somewhere else in the world.

'8th position for a club funded like a midtable club is a good season.'

Moyes last 7 years from earliest to latest:
(funded like relagtion fodder had to make his own funds)

6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th

I knew you secretly liked Moyes. That is great praise you are giving him. Even I haven't praised him the way you are right now. I knew you where a WUM all along I never did take you seriously anyways.
Why last 7 seasons? Does going beyond that dilute the 'message'?

"Funded like relegation fodder". In the seven seasons you mention he had a gross spend of £90M.

Moyes spent all he sold and had a net spend of £16M on top while he was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back