Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In his last 7 seasons Moyes finished below 7th once, when we finished 8th. He didn't have the same kind of money to spend that Martinez has and didn't have as good a squad. Martinez is underachieving big time and a home win to Newcastle doesn't change that. The best side we have beaten in the league this season is Southampton. That is poor going.
It's all relative on the cash issue: Moyes had as much to spend in relation to other clubs as Martinez has had.

Moyes, it was said, bequeathed to Martinez the 'best squad since the 80s'. So much for the argument Martinez is squandering a better one now...and if he does have a better squad than Moyes had that's down to bringing in and nurturing talent better than Sgt Major Moyes could ever do.

It's all relative on the cash issue: Moyes had as much to spend in relation to other clubs as Martinez has had.

Moyes, it was said, bequeathed to Martinez the 'best squad since the 80s'. So much for the argument Martinez is squandering a better one now...and if he does have a better squad than Moyes had that's down to bringing in and nurturing talent better than Sgt Major Moyes could ever do.
For Gods sake Dave shut up about Moyes, we are all sick to the back teeth of your ludicrous vendetta against a man who is no longer anything to do with the club. Change the ****** record!

LIE. A bald-faced lie. You sadden me.

I disagree. With our team I think 8th would be the least we'd expect and it would represent quite a poor season. Howard aside I honestly don't think many teams in the league have a better first XI than us.

I think the difference between somebody like Fergie and Martinez is that Fergie knew when to cut his losses. I won't lie I am a fan of Martinez still. I think his loyalty to established players is holding back the success his system is close to. That's just my opinion

Nonsense. I wouldn't have more than 3/4 players for our first XI from the likes of Stoke, Southampton, Liverpool, West Ham, Leicester or Watford. The reason those sides are above us at the moment is because of management.
You started all this nonsense

Martinez has been able to improve the squad each transfer window because he has had money to spend though. Moyes had to go long periods without being able to add to the squad whatsoever. And are you really going to claim that Moyes didn't bring in and nurture talent?

I think your cutting Martinez a lot of slack considering the quality of the squad that he has. 8th would be far from the achievement you seem to think it would be.

Martinez has been able to improve the squad each transfer window because he has had money to spend though. Moyes had to go long periods without being able to add to the squad whatsoever. And are you really going to claim that Moyes didn't bring in and nurture talent?

I think your cutting Martinez a lot of slack considering the quality of the squad that he has. 8th would be far from the achievement you seem to think it would be.

That's simply not true. It's urban myth.

Moyes had a net spend every season between his first full season in 2002/03 to season 2008/09 (with the exception of season 2004/05 when Rooney was sold). In that period he had a net spend of £36M.

Yes, he had a low net spend overall in his tenure of 11 seasons, but the purse strings were shut late on in his time here from 2009/10 on.

Basically in his early period here he was bankrolled (in relative terms given the huge increase in PL club spending of the last few seasons) well in excess of what Martinez has been backed with.

Moyes had a net spend every season between his first full season in 2002/03 to season 2008/09 (with the exception of season 2004/05 when Rooney was sold). In that period he had a net spend of £36M.

Yes, he had a low net spend overall in his tenure of 11 seasons, but the purse strings were shut late on in his time here from 2009/10 on.

Basically in his early period here he was bankrolled (in relative terms given the huge increase in PL club spending of the last few seasons) well in excess of what Martinez has been backed with.
When you consider the squad Moyes took over, the improvement he made by spending on average £6m net a year for 6 years (assuming your figures are correct) was pretty miraculous.

Utter bullcrap, he spent on average 1m net a season over 11 years.

Martinez is approaching 20m A SEASON.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back