Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't win the league, I don't think anybody would disagree with that. We also in my opinion too good to go down. So I don't see the harm in at least playing attractive football in our ascendency quest; I'm loving it.

Now if only we were more clinical...

Premier league fans half time verdict from the Guardian - Popeye??? Cleverley out of form???
http://www.theguardian.com/football...league-fans-verdict-arsenal-manchester-united

It’s fantastic to be in the semi-final of the Capital One Cup, where our performances have been great – but it’s a big disappointment to be mid-table in the Premier League. We’ve drawn too many games when we have dominated play but not had the killer punch to find victory. 6/10

Stars and flops Top marks to Romulu Lukaku – I hope he stays at the club and becomes a proper Everton legend. Gerard Deulofeu could become a top-class player too if he can just last 90 minutes. Gareth Barry has held the team together. As for flops: Arouna Koné started the season well but has fallen away in the last few games. And while I’ve always been a fan of keeper Tim Howard, time seems to be catching up on him as he has cost us a few points this season.

Happy with the manager? 7/10 So far, yes. The frustration is that he keeps saying we have a great squad, but doesn’t use it. With Koné and Cleverley out of form he should make changes with Naismith and Mirallas coming in. Both players have goals in them.

If he was a cartoon character, he’d be … Popeye, minus the spinach.
Steve Jones, BlueKipper.com @bluekippercom

Premier league fans half time verdict from the Guardian - Popeye??? Cleverley out of form???
http://www.theguardian.com/football...league-fans-verdict-arsenal-manchester-united

It’s fantastic to be in the semi-final of the Capital One Cup, where our performances have been great – but it’s a big disappointment to be mid-table in the Premier League. We’ve drawn too many games when we have dominated play but not had the killer punch to find victory. 6/10

Stars and flops Top marks to Romulu Lukaku – I hope he stays at the club and becomes a proper Everton legend. Gerard Deulofeu could become a top-class player too if he can just last 90 minutes. Gareth Barry has held the team together. As for flops: Arouna Koné started the season well but has fallen away in the last few games. And while I’ve always been a fan of keeper Tim Howard, time seems to be catching up on him as he has cost us a few points this season.

Happy with the manager? 7/10 So far, yes. The frustration is that he keeps saying we have a great squad, but doesn’t use it. With Koné and Cleverley out of form he should make changes with Naismith and Mirallas coming in. Both players have goals in them.

Bluekipper

Says it all really

I don't agree with some of the detail in there but wouldn't argue much with a 7/10 for Martinez or a 6/10 for the season so far. Leaves room for improvement and, lets face it, Martinez, the players and the fans all believe we can do better.

In itself, that belief and the disappointment that we've not been clinical enough in the league is progress because no-one is totally satisfied with where we are.

Before yesterday, Koeman and Southampton had 1 win in the last six league games. Compare that with Martinez and Everton's record of - 1 win in the last six league games.

They had no wins in 6, 5 being defeats

6 Sat 19 Dec Premier League Southampton 0-2 Tottenham
5 Sat 12 Dec Premier League Crystal Palace 1-0 Southampton
4 Sat 5 Dec Premier League Southampton 1-1 Aston Villa
Wed 2 Dec League Cup Quarter-Final Southampton 1-6 Liverpool
3 Sat 28 Nov Premier League Man City 3-1 Southampton
2 Sat 21 Nov Premier League Southampton 0-1 Stoke
1 Sat 7 Nov Premier League Sunderland 0-1 Southampton

Arsenal had one defeat in their last six games, and were playing to go top of the league. Southampton still won 4-0.

I'm just trying to show how competitive it is in midtable!

I don't agree with some of the detail in there but wouldn't argue much with a 7/10 for Martinez or a 6/10 for the season so far. Leaves room for improvement and, lets face it, Martinez, the players and the fans all believe we can do better.

In itself, that belief and the disappointment that we've not been clinical enough in the league is progress because no-one is totally satisfied with where we are.
Aye, thought the stars and flops section in particular was valid.

But Martinez as Popeye....I don't know what Mr Jones is smoking in his pipe but it is certainly stronger than tobacco to get any sort of connection between the two!

Bit harsh to call Kone a flop. There's a few other players I'd put ahead of him.

I think we can all agree that the problem we have is with the disaffected youth in our fan base.

The ones making all the noise criticising the manager are almost all exclusively in their late teens and twenties, have an unhealthy interest in foreign football and video games, like Besic/hate Barry, and are proficient in writing lots of words on the internet without really saying something*.

They've not seen Everton win anything ever yet they try to ensure their standards are higher than everyone else's because they're a narcissistic bunch despite them being utterly useless in the workforce and existing on zero hour contracts to pay for the next "chapter" of their sleeve tattoos.

We shouldn't validate them by engaging them in discussion, they should be roundly mocked and told to learn some more Everton before they pipe up in any thread like this.

I hope there is widespread TinderAIDS and it depletes them so we can get back to having reasonable debate about Everton with people who know their onions.

Read my post - all I ask is consistency in posting after the game, not posting after a game can appear very negative and reinforces somebody's dislike, a little praise would of been constructive.
As for what you think I don't really care
You get back to hoping we get beat tomorrow

You're an embarrassment to this debate. Why would anyone hope we get beat? Find me one post of mine saying I want Everton to get beat. Embarassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back