Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read my posting history before attributing views to me. Do not mistake my opposition to the views of certain posters on here with my views on Martinez. I have consistently said that the three season mark is a good time to judge a manager. If they can show they are making progress then they should be allowed to see it through. If there's none then it's worth a consideration of whether they are the best man for the job. Martinez at the end of the season will have had three seasons which is why I am hoping we can get some tangible success over the second half of the season. If midtable form continues for another 6 months id probably then question his suitability especially in light of a probable large scale squad overhaul in the summer.
I'm not going to read your post history. You're not a novelist and certainly shouldn't expect anyone to know your "body of work". I was responding to a few of your posts I've seen today in this thread thus me quoting you in my response. From what you have written today it is more than justified to respond as I did as you don't give the timeline you're allowing Martinez in every post. Beyond all that calling someone an embarrassment to the thread is just laughable.

For the people who haven't taken to Roberto what are your minimum targets for him this season?
Improvement on the year before for me.. Its my only target for us every year ..
Year on year improvement.. I'm moderately happy with him as our play is better than last season, and a lot better than the first year, as lucky as we were with results, that first season clearly showed us heading backwards to rebuild, we were mostly lethargic with enough individual ability to get us where we finished.. We are playing like a team now, but my god that defense is pants.

I'll give him this season to mess about with the play behind the quality attacking palyers, but he has to improve us significantly imo.
Next season I will judge purely on results, I don't care how pretty it is, if he's still not resolved the defense and we don't do better when we reach the pen area, its time to go.

We are mostly effective in the area between the two dangerous ends of the pitch currently and results show it.

My two cents is that we are playing a more complex style of play than some of our current personell can handle. However, if we are trying to build something we have to start somewhere. If the recruitment is right, and I think Roberto already has identified what are coming to our ranks as well, we can be a force. We play much more sophisticated than a lot of teams in this league, the likes of Leicester, Liverpool, Crystal Palace, Watford, Manchester United, Manchester City. The only team that I can see that really are doing something different like ourselves is Spurs. The last bit is the winning mentality and that comes from actually winning. I`m very curious to see how we are going to play tomorrow, it`s kind of or a make or break against Stoke and Spurs now. And when it comes to deadball situations, I think Roberto has "neglected" them because developing a style has been the most important thing. I`m not saying we are going to be successful, cause there`s no guarantee, but three or four players in the right places can do wonders. In Lukaku we have the best striker we can hope for and Barkley is really growing into a more mature player. I listened to Graham Hunter the other night, and he said that Iniesta was twentytwo before he started to play regulary for Barcelona. Our Ross is now at the same age, and he can be our Iniesta, our outball, our metronome, our beacon. I think we are close to be something very special
, and maybe it will fall into place or fall into pieces, but this is the only way Everton can even dream of challenging some of the richer clubs.

Anyone watching the level of play this team is hitting every game and then think something as fundamental as changing the manager is required is completely ludicrous. You'd have to have been blindfolded from what's right in front of you to come to the conclusion that the orchestrator of that style of play is a problem to be dealt with.

I'm sorry, but there's not even a question for this manager to face. He's worked absolute wonders with these players, and anyone remotely reasonable would agree with that. There's no alternative to Martinez and neither should there be. The owners of this club - you can be 100% sure about - are never calling time on a manager who's had this effect on a squad and has them ticking over nicely.

I'd like us to be managed by Martinez when we have the ball, and Moyes when we don't have it. Stick a revolving door in the technical area, sorted.

That's a minimum mate, if he has not achieved world peace the pitch forks are coming out
"Make Us Dream: The Story of Everton's 2015/16 Season"
Everton's 2015/16 campaign was no ordinary football season. It was the season when everything changed. A year of hope, fantasy, adventure; where joyous reclamation met crushing disappointment and won. A season defined by many individuals, moments,goals and memories. A time when the brand of heroic and daring football - and footballers that seemed consigned to the sepia toned era of the game s past returned. It was a season when billions of Everton supporters dared to dream again. Not least when those who were raping the club sold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back