Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
what might have been lost this weekend with the exciting finish to the game and the posting there after, was that for me the manager looked like he had started to address 2 of the problems that had hindered us for most of the season. Firstly our defensive marking was notably tighter and secondly our pressure on the ball was immense from the first whistle. The team gained praise from all corners for it's attacking football of the highest quality, but a lot of these moves where started by us forcing Newcastle into turning the ball over. Long may it continue.

I thought we played really well but our defensive marking was utterly shocking so I don't know what you're talking about.

Our midfield pressing was wonderful but every time they actually got the ball in our final third they seemed to get a free header.

Which doesn't take anything away from our performance but it's a weird thing to point to as an improvement.

I thought we played really well but our defensive marking was utterly shocking so I don't know what you're talking about.

Our midfield pressing was wonderful but every time they actually got the ball in our final third they seemed to get a free header.

Which doesn't take anything away from our performance but it's a weird thing to point to as an improvement.
I agree. That's the bit that worries me. I love the way he's got us playing at times but I feel we are vulnerable 90% of the time, with ace defenders though. Odd.

I agree. That's the bit that worries me. I love the way he's got us playing at times but I feel we are vulnerable 90% of the time, with ace defenders though. Odd.

It's a weird hybrid of Martinez's two seasons at the club. Attack like the first season, Defend like the second.

But it kinda works at the moment

It's a weird hybrid of Martinez's two seasons at the club. Attack like the first season, Defend like the second.

But it kinda works at the moment
We should've got 3 points against Norwich, Palace and Bournemouth though.

I know we can play very well but I'm not sure that those three draws mean it's working.

On the other hand, perhaps it's just bad form. I've a nagging feeling from yesterday though, that if we were playing a side not in the bottom 3, we'd have come away with 1 or 0 points.

You can only beat what's in front of you though, so benefit of the doubt and all that. Let's see how we go over January.

We should've got 3 points against Norwich, Palace and Bournemouth though. I know we can play very well but I'm not sure that those three draws mean it's working.

On the other hand, perhaps it's just bad form. I've a nagging feeling from yesterday though, that if we were playing a side not in the bottom 3, we'd have come away with 1 or 0 points. You can only beat what's in front of you though, so benefit of the doubt and all that. Let's see how we go over January.

It should only take a small adjustment - or a change of fortune - to turn draws like these into wins. And perhaps the adjustments started on Boxing Day.

Stoke, Spurs and City offer a formidable challenge, with some respite in the Dagenham game. But I think we're up for it.

I said I believe.

The only way for there to be evidence is if one of them became our manager.

So on a random hunch the best you could
The pink elephant dancing round his room told him.

With Mark Hughes ridding it to our rescue ffs

I mean ffs if you had an imaginary wishlist and all you can think of is some fella from Watford and Mark Hughes it's time to put the amaretto down and have a coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back