Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny enough the last game I could get to was in the LG and I never heard f all about Martinez and getting shut of him once. Although I can't say the same about the Black Horse to be honest as I don't speak Geordie so never go there mate.
Insulting your fellow supporters, mate? You must be so much better than the people who frequent there.

Of course people aren't completely happy but suggesting Mark Hughes, Koeman, and Sanchez Flores (that's the Watford manager you mentioned) is just ludicrous. Explain to the forum in detail why you think they would be more suited to the position and then if it's reasonable (spoiler alert it won't be) then people might be inclined to take you more seriously.
I think each of them managers has utilised their resources and squads to a better level than Martinez is capable of.

Just because Southampton and Stoke are below us in the league, doesn't make their positions comparable. We have spent more and generate more income than those two teams. We have never been out of the Premier League and can thus attract a higher quality of player than the two mentioned.

We get Martinez coming out every week saying how strong his squad is, how Lukaku, Stones, McCarthy, Coleman, Barkley, Deulofeu, etc are so brilliant.

If they are so brilliant, then why did he finish 11th last season and this season we've only managed six wins in eighteen games?

Answers on a postcard, please.

I remember people putting names like Sherwood, Lennon and Lambert into the mix.....

Problem with change too early that is has a consequence of finances getting pushed in pay offs, new kitty for manager, can we do this effectively? look at Villa they paid the price of too many changes and will go down....i believe we should give him to the end of the season before any change.

I am all for change and I am starting to see him no being able to make his subs change the outlook of the game, a skill he managed so well in the first season.

fair-ish enough point. I've said on a few occasions that baring it going all mike walker-tastic or a major boardroom shake up he's here for a few years yet...and all of a sudden there's somebody in due diligence.
Too late to rescue this seasons CL challenge.
add In the impatience that the younger me, me, me, now, now, now, lot have, how many will stick around for another 2 years to take a chance on it all coming together...whoever's in charge.

I think each of them managers has utilised their resources and squads to a better level than Martinez is capable of.

Just because Southampton and Stoke are below us in the league, doesn't make their positions comparable. We have spent more and generate more income than those two teams. We have never been out of the Premier League and can thus attract a higher quality of player than the two mentioned.

We get Martinez coming out every week saying how strong his squad is, how Lukaku, Stones, McCarthy, Coleman, Barkley, Deulofeu, etc are so brilliant.

If they are so brilliant, then why did he finish 11th last season and this season we've only manage six wins in eighteen games?

Well let me first start by saying that Sanchez Flores as already mentioned has been there for all of half a season so I think you're creating a verdict on him before it's warranted which then makes me question why you didn't mention Ranieri as he would have obviously done better at what you stated than any of those you mentioned but also has been here half a season. Hughes has been at Stoke for a while and only recently and coinciding with increased investment has he made them relevant in any way. Koeman while having a good first season was in danger before the Arsenal result and how do you explain our 0-3 win at St. Mary's? You've not really explained anything yet threw questions back the other way.

Edit: Also you say the positions of Stoke and Southampton to us aren't comparable yet you seek to do exactly that in your line of reasoning.

Well let me first start by saying that Sanchez Flores as already mentioned has been there for all of half a season so I think you're creating a verdict on him before it's warranted which then makes me question why you didn't mention Ranieri as he would have obviously done better at what you stated than any of those you mentioned but also has been here half a season. Hughes has been at Stoke for a while and only recently and coinciding with increased investment has he made them relevant in any way. Koeman while having a good first season was in danger before the Arsenal result and how do you explain our 0-3 win at St. Mary's? You've not really explained anything yet threw questions back the other way.
Can you tell me why they wouldn't make good candidates?

There will never be a nailed on he will 100% be a success or 100% be a total failure winner in this debate. All of this falls down to an opinion. Unless any of these names ever become our manager, then we will never know.

You say that Koeman was in danger before the Arsenal result, they were only two points behind us despite us beating them. Should Martinez be in danger too? Especially after last season's shambles.

If they are so brilliant, then why did he finish 11th last season and this season we've only managed six wins in eighteen games?

Nett spend over 5yrs they are above us, so not much of an argument there
Do we generate more income, I ask as we are poor in this area

They actually spend more than us

Funny enough the last game I could get to was in the LG and I never heard f all about Martinez and getting shut of him once. Although I can't say the same about the Black Horse to be honest as I don't speak Geordie so never go there mate.

Insulting your fellow supporters, mate? You must be so much better than the people who frequent there.

No insult there, sir.

That is a very clever cultural reference from Our Douglas there.

The Black Horse was the local in the classic North East sitcom, Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads.....where they all spoke Geordie.

A sense of humour and self deprecation are great assets on message boards :cool:

Can you tell me why they wouldn't make good candidates?

There will never be a nailed on he will 100% be a success or 100% be a total failure winner in this debate. All of this falls down to an opinion. Unless any of these names ever become our manager, then we will never know.

You say that Koeman was in danger before the Arsenal result, they were only two points behind us despite us beating them. Should Martinez be in danger too? Especially after last season's shambles.

So you've basically started a debate and then want it ended because of the nature of opinions and facts? Yes I could tell you exactly why they (especially Hughes) would be horrible appointments (in my opinion) and a good bit of it relates to how dismissing Martinez would effect the team. Do you think Hughes and Koeman, or even S-F could be getting what Martinez is getting out of Deulofeu? Of course if we continue to underachieve Martinez's position will be in danger. That goes without saying but "danger" is a relative term I guess. I honestly think if anything the real whole in your argument is not putting Ranieri in the mix as that would make the most sense based on your own reasoning. I'm also curious as to why they were all current prem managers is there no one out there more suited in your opinion than those three or are those just three you think could do better and you have more in mind?

No new poll then? :coffee:

why? you want to change your vote? starting to see the light?

nah, thought not

me neither.

so until;

a) Martinez changes his mind and goes towards the 'Goldilocks Option' - not too much Moyes, not too much Martinez, but just right.
b) The Board change their mind...or now in this period of due diligence; Change.

The only poll that matters will be the table at the end of the season.
We've had a 5th place of nearly but not quite.
An 11th place, not even near, nevermind not quite.
And we both seem to think we're on for 59, 60, 61Pts. / 7th-ish. Which, If I read you rightly ( apologies in advance ) you seem to think is OK or even Work in progress and watch us go next season...or is it the season after.

Me? I'm still standing by my 'he's a very pleasant, if mysteriously verbose, bang average, different flavour of / but same end result as Moyes.'

= no need

I begs to differ.

No talk whatsoever in the Bullens near me, no talk in the Royal Oak, no talk nowhere about owt other than the great football we are playing.

Certainly is talk about it near me in the upper bullpens.. Two next to me want Maryinez gone without any real foundation, while myself and Father are much happier watching an attacking team that can grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back