Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing we need to accept as a fan base- and @davek too- if we finish 7th or lower he is not the right manager for us. In a league this wide open- anything less than 5th is failure.

Bring back Moyes if you want 7th, he was quite good at getting us there.

One thing we need to accept as a fan base- and @davek too- if we finish 7th or lower he is not the right manager for us. In a league this wide open- anything less than 5th is failure.

Bring back Moyes if you want 7th, he was quite good at getting us there.
I don't see how anything less than 5th is failure, how is that worked out?

I think we can all agree that the problem we have is with the disaffected youth in our fan base.

They've not seen Everton win anything ever yet they try to ensure their standards are higher than everyone else's because they're a narcissistic bunch despite them being utterly useless in the workforce and existing on zero hour contracts to pay for the next "chapter" of their sleeve tattoos.

I hope there is widespread TinderAIDS and it depletes them so we can get back to having reasonable debate about Everton with people who know their onions.
GOT GOLD right there...

His first season he finished 5th. He should at least achieve that. I'm all for him until all 38 games are over.
Sorry I don't get the logic behind your statement, a team that in 20 years can best described as mid table, has round about the tenth highest wage bill and one of the lowest net spends should finish a minimum of 5th?

6 points off CL places and some one has said it's too late o rescue a CL push? Really?

Some one? just plain ole 'some one'
such a profound insight is not worth some much as a like or a tag?

But joking apart, yes, really.

you can wake me up by vaulting me to tell me when it happens...no sorry, not when, I mean 'if', but it won't, so you won't...won't have to trouble the 'Do not disturb' sign on my metaphorical door that is.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't get the logic behind your statement, a team that in 20 years can best described as mid table, has round about the tenth highest wage bill and one of the lowest net spends should finish a minimum of 5th?

I think we both want Martinez as manager right now. I'm not sure about you, but I see anything less than 5th as a failure, for a manager of his caliber and a team of ours as it is currently. NSNO right?

A manager that has produced bang average form for the past 18 months is bound to come under criticism for a team that, for the best part of a decade, hadn't finished outside the Top 8 and were regularly in the Top 6.

Only once in the 5 years prior to Martinez's arrival did we have more points at this stage of the season than we do now.

I think we both want Martinez as manager right now. I'm not sure about you, but I see anything less than 5th as a failure, for a manager of his caliber and a team of ours as it is currently. NSNO right?

I'm not sure about you but how can NSNO regard 5th as not a failure in any way shape or meaning of the phrase, think some of our fans need to brush up on what NSNO means before using it as a way to try prove their point else they just look a bit daft

I think each of them managers has utilised their resources and squads to a better level than Martinez is capable of.

Just because Southampton and Stoke are below us in the league, doesn't make their positions comparable. We have spent more and generate more income than those two teams. We have never been out of the Premier League and can thus attract a higher quality of player than the two mentioned.

We get Martinez coming out every week saying how strong his squad is, how Lukaku, Stones, McCarthy, Coleman, Barkley, Deulofeu, etc are so brilliant.

If they are so brilliant, then why did he finish 11th last season and this season we've only managed six wins in eighteen games?

Answers on a postcard, please.

Someone earlier mentioned the effect of the 'new' TV money and the extent it really has equipped all teams to get top quality talent that can win games on their day. This seems to have increasingly flattened the Prem this season (a good thing), but Everton's stop-start progress partly owes to this, too.

Interestingly, the Prem's extra games and poor CL showing means the world's top talents are as likely to choose Germany, Spain, France, Italy (lifestyle etc) vs PL, especially in major tournament seasons. I hate to say that since Suarez I haven't seen much of a world beater in any team, not consistently at least. So the good for Everton is that the potential is there for squads that stick together and develop. Can't really put my finger on why we slipped last year, I watched the 3rd goal versus Lille and thought we looked like a CL team!

So the point about above Stoke, Southampton (and others like West Ham, Palace etc) is fair. Everton are bigger, more consistent and generally produce better results over time than those clubs we're around at the clubs who've yo-yo'd. We were dreadfully unlucky the 72 points didn't have us in CL.

My only hope (/ gross frustration ) is that poor concentration - a hallmark of Martinez's previous teams - doesn't start to blunt this side's potential. Mirallas has to go, Lennon needs to score more, Barkley & Del be less wasteful. Barry, Rom and maybe Del are great signings but I really hope we draw more on the grit, concentration and drive that Jags, Baines, Coleman, SN (who gets a a bad press I notice), and now Galloway, McCarthy add too - which is what sorts out this League between Jan and March.

We press well but the 1st hour against Geordies was repeatedly flinging the ball to RL and lacked guile - and defensively ever since the Bournemouth debacle teams fancy us at the back. Don't chuck the baby out with the bath water RM! Hopefully TC's last minute winner ( a player I've criticized ) sparks the change in luck to push us on. CL is only a good run away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back