Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are seeing now mate, better football only matters really if the results are better though, same way as boring football with results most supporters will in the end accept

End of the day i didn't want Martinez originally, i wanted Tuschel then at Mainz, but have given the bloke my backing - even last season - this one though the way it has turned and maybe more so because the league is so literally wide open that Leicester could actually win it is more disappointing than even last season, because it can't be called a blip now this is what we are under Martinez, a poor mans Keegans Newcastle or a rich mans Wigan

Its frustrating to me because I dont really see anyone coming in and pushing us to that next level, martinez's first season was like leicesters now, but the whole league was stronger then, with higher points for that top 4.

Spurs same really, and they could lose the manager to one of tgose rich clubs, so really without the next level money, i cant see us getting to thenext level....barring the odd blip season, like bobbys first of Moyes's 4th season

Mourinho is in a different league to Martinez. Not likeable to some but a proven winner. I would love him to be our manager. We just could and would not be able to afford him.

beat man city not long ago...

And lost to Swansea yesterday, Stoke recently, Leicester too. Anybody is capable of lifting themselves in a cup game that they are expected not to win.

I wouldn't be reading much into the City game, if anything you would say that was a freak result looking at our form over the season.

Its frustrating to me because I dont really see anyone coming in and pushing us to that next level, martinez's first season was like leicesters now, but the whole league was stronger then, with higher points for that top 4.

Spurs same really, and they could lose the manager to one of tgose rich clubs, so really without the next level money, i cant see us getting to thenext level....barring the odd blip season, like bobbys first of Moyes's 4th season

Take a manager who will take what martinez has given us (a telented young group of players) and has the potential to turn them into so much more mate, off the top of my head, Bielsa, DeBoer hell even Almyeda would at least have the chance to do something a lot better with this group than martinez has been shown to be unable to do. Thats just looking at managers we could easily get and discounting ones like Mourinho who frankly wouldn't go near thois board with a shitty stick

Dream team Bielsa with Almyeda as understudy, ahh crap getting all Zatara like now lol

Mourinho is in a different league to Martinez. Not likeable to some but a proven winner. I would love him to be our manager. We just could and would not be able to afford him.

We could afford him mate, remember how much we paid Moyes his last contract - think he was second highest paid in the league at the time, we won't ofc as Mourinho would want guarantees from the board which we will never ever give, but if he was here we'd win 2-3 things before he melted down

Take a manager who will take what martinez has given us (a telented young group of players) and has the potential to turn them into so much more mate, off the top of my head, Bielsa, DeBoer hell even Almyeda would at least have the chance to do something a lot better with this group than martinez has been shown to be unable to do. Thats just looking at managers we could easily get and discounting ones like Mourinho who frankly wouldn't go near thois board with a shitty stick

Dream team Bielsa with Almyeda as understudy, ahh crap getting all Zatara like now lol

Mate, i would love any manager that could make is do well, i just dont see these foreign managers coming to is and doing it like you think, they have never managed in the prem before, things just dont work like that.

Mate, i would love any manager that could make is do well, i just dont see these foreign managers coming to is and doing it like you think, they have never managed in the prem before, things just dont work like that.

Thing is mate thats insular thinking, for every one that fails theirs one that succeeds, like with players its down to scouting out which one would adapt, right now the top half of the table

Leciester - Italian manager - was succesful at a pre Abramoovic Chelsea, big success when hes come back
City - Argie manager - a bit crap franklly
Arsenal - French manager - succesful since day one in England
Spurs - Argie manager - been a success since he arrived in England at two clubs
United - Big fat failiure of a dutchman
West Ham - succesful croatian so far
RS - german - too early to tell
Saints - pretty succesful so far Dutchman

thats looking at the top 8 - who all happen to be foreign managers

Agreed mate. This is no blip in form, this is a sustained period of poor form and underachieving. The guy has built a talented squad, nobody can take that away from him, but he absolutely cannot stop any prem team he manages from conceding ridiculous amounts of goals. That first season was the anomaly it would seem, as he still benefitted from the tough defense we had under Moyes. Got to go for me now.

Roberto may have inherited the defenders from David Moyes, but he completely remodelled the way they played with the introduction of Barry and McCarthy. Baines and - in particular - Coleman became the main source of attacks and crosses.

2012/13 6 Everton 38 16 15 7 55 40 +15 63 Moyes
2013/14 5 Everton 38 21 09 8 61 39 +22 72 Martinez

The defence this season has been much more conventional, and much less successful, even with the influence of the players inherited from Moyes. Admittedly, Baines, Jagielka and Coleman have all suffered injuries, and Distin has left. And Stones has been playing like a spoiled teenager. Further, I would attribute several of the goals to individual errors.

Instead of using the full backs, the ball has mostly been played forward through the centre by Barry, who has had a great season so far. And Deulofeu has been the main source of crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back