Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I honestly think that yesterday was just a generally sub par performance from the whole team, and it happens. However it wasn´t reflective of our general levels of play.

The disappointing result was par for the course for this season, but I don´t think that performance for the 90 mins was.

Last season you were dreading every game and finding it hard to imagine a win, but this season despite the pure frustration of the results and league position I am still looking forward to watching them and believe they can beat whoever we play.

Hopefully yesterday isn´t a sign of a slide into the no-confidence mess of last season....
I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's quite as out of character as some people would have you believe. We were similarly listless in the games against Watford and United, and in cup games against Norwich and Dagenham. The first half against Spurs was very similar to yesterday, and the Sunderland game was actually worse until everything went crazy for 10 minutes in the second half.

The 'entertainers' tag has been applied to us but at times we look just as laboured as we did last year when trying to break teams down. As we have been repeatedly reminded on here, we've only conceded 12 goals away from home. And yet we've only won three games. That tells me that we're not being quite as brilliant as some people suggest in attack.

Do you think they are holding funds back to bring in players this window because they may have to pull the trigger in the near future?
They must realise the atmosphere at goodison is toxic...thing is the fans are never wrong - bad for business

There is little that sits well with me going on at the moment, I read an interview with him this morning (from, I think, November) in which he says how the club will '...strengthen from window to window'. Have you noted lately how often the 'this squad is too big line' is being trundled out? That coupled with the '...I don't envisage any business this window' unsettles me somewhat.

There's been a lot said about the fans the last day or so. Personally I can't fault it mate, frankly I think he's had a good ride off us given it's, give or take, 18 months of this now. The atmos yesterday was tense with a big hint of realisation I felt, a kind of majority combination of '...I can't support this (him) any more'. And as for the piffle of 'it's unsettling for the players'. Well, really, and what? They're big boys and it SHOULD be unsettling for the players because they're clearly not getting the gee-up from the bench. Again, it's SWANSEA at home...

The next ten or so days are HUGE, on ALL fronts for the club. And genuinely (and without over-reaction) I honestly feel it's crucial we/he/us get a grip of it because the impact of a continuing downturn could be MASSIVE in relation to keeping hold of assets which, in turn, will be detrimental to any future sale of the club.

Just imagine - we go out the cups, the league form continues, there is no takeover/no signings in the window, the likes of LUKAKU/STONES/GERI/BARKLEY/COLEMAN get the itch/are the subject of bids...BARRY is knocking on, as is BAINES, there is literally no goalkeeping option available... really, what's the appeal then? Both potential new manager & sale wise? If we finish 14th, with a depleted, unhappy & grossly under achieving side and he starts on about it all being about the 'build' and looking toward NEXT season then, for me, he's truly off his cake...

Honestly, it makes me puke, I've mentioned numerous times on threads about conversations with WIGAN fans. Literally EVERYTHING they said would happen is happening...

And I truly wish it wasn't.

That said, you've gotta have hope eh...

Winning this cup is papering over the cracks. Not even the most important cup in the country. Not going to keep or attract ambitious players

We win this cup, it's automatically a better season that Martinez's first. It ends a 21-year drought, and fills a rare empty spot in our cabinet. It's significant. Not saying it's going to happen like, but if it does, it is a big achievement and should be viewed as such.

martinez's credit? Del was being hailed as the next great thing out of the barca academy and lukaku was clearly a top striker in the making when chelsea moved for him

If anything both rom and del were incredibly massive breaks for the manager who didn't say no, but roberto is owed no praise for them, hell del still gives the ball away half the time!

Jesus we went to MK dons and brought back galloway over Alli! lol

So, Martinez signed Lukaku and Deulofeu, but not Dele Alli.

Obviously, he's got to go!

We win this cup, it's automatically a better season that Martinez's first. It ends a 21-year drought, and fills a rare empty spot in our cabinet. It's significant. Not saying it's going to happen like, but if it does, it is a big achievement and should be viewed as such.

It would be a nice bonus to a good season but as a whole you cant say it's going to make up for the league performance. Even financially the poor league performances are going to cost us never mind our ability to attract players to improve the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back