Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what sort of contact Roberto is on? I mean was he 'rewarded' with a new contract after his first season? So how long is left to run exactly?

...with this board mate he'll be on a rolling one 'til he's about 66 and the squad is full of 11 year old kids he's loaned from MALAGA.

And it'll be all about the build.

Whats the limit. 12th and the league cup? 15th and the FA cup? 18th and the FA cup?

You'd rather we slowly dropped down the league so you have a nice story to tell about winning a second rate cup. with that attitude in 20 years when we are looking up at the premier league the cup won't look so shiny

I remember when we finished 4th. I would remember our first Champions League season if we had the ambition to get there and not accept mid table finishes and some shiny metal.

The romance of football is completely lost on you

I pray I never share the same attitude

Let's be honest here, we have beaten nobody to get to the semi-final. Any team can fluke there way to a Semi or 2. We've done it ourselves before. But to win a trophy you have to have that strong mentality, and if we can beat City and then the RS or Stoke, fair play to the team. But having won 6 league games all season, I just doubt their mental toughness, and Martinez's ability to bring it out of them.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's quite as out of character as some people would have you believe. We were similarly listless in the games against Watford and United, and in cup games against Norwich and Dagenham. The first half against Spurs was very similar to yesterday, and the Sunderland game was actually worse until everything went crazy for 10 minutes in the second half.

The 'entertainers' tag has been applied to us but at times we look just as laboured as we did last year when trying to break teams down. As we have been repeatedly reminded on here, we've only conceded 12 goals away from home. And yet we've only won three games. That tells me that we're not being quite as brilliant as some people suggest in attack.

true.

i was thinking more that it was a poor performance from start to finish with some improvement in the second half. we have had poor halves alright but that 90 mins stood out as a bit different to me. In other games when we go behind you still felt we could come back, but not in that game.

we are not brilliant in any aspect right now. its still just glimpses of a great potential. I hope the results start coming.

Let's be honest here, we have beaten nobody to get to the semi-final. Any team can fluke there way to a Semi or 2. We've done it ourselves before. But to win a trophy you have to have that strong mentality, and if we can beat City and then the RS or Stoke, fair play to the team. But having won 6 league games all season, I just doubt their mental toughness, and Martinez's ability to bring it out of them.

This is the pick of the bunch.
So Martinez doesnt even deserve praise for getting us within 90 mins of a cup final because you deem the opposition beaten so far not worthy?

Bin.

Get in it.

This is the pick of the bunch.
So Martinez doesnt even deserve praise for getting us within 90 mins of a cup final because you deem the opposition beaten so far not worthy?

Bin.

Get in it.

I dont think its that bad a comment really, and I am behind the manager.

it should be acknowledged at the same time though that half way through that semi final against megabucks City we have been the better team, are winning 2-1 and controlled the game overall really well. There was a challenge and we met it very well.

I also like how you asked is 18th good enough, when I clearly stated 10th and a Cup was a good season

10th and a cup with this squad mate?

Why should for the sake of a game against Norwich, a two legged one against city and whoever the final is against be willing to sacrifice an entire league season when Leicester are top?

Absolutely unbelievable how as a fan base our expectations have been managed down to 10th place and a league cup as a great season

I dont think its that bad a comment really, and I am behind the manager.

it should be acknowledged at the same time though that half way through that semi final against megabucks City we have been the better team, are winning 2-1 and controlled the game overall really well. There was a challenge and we met it very well.

We agree on most, but here I disagree my friend.

Getting our team through to the semi-finals of any cup competition is an achievement regardless of the opposition faced.

No-one talks about who Arsenal beat to the FA Cup years ago, do they? Does anyone even remember?

Martinez's reign will be based on trophies and league finishes, not whether the fans deemed the opposition worthy in the run in of both.

10th and a cup with this squad mate?

Why should for the sake of a game against Norwich, a two legged one against city and whoever the final is against be willing to sacrifice an entire league season when Leicester are top?

Absolutely unbelievable how as a fan base our expectations have been managed down to 10th place and a league cup as a great season

Been realistic at this point in the season given our current position, I'd be happy with top 8. I'd be thrilled with top 7 and a cup. I can live with top 10 and a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back