Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If his stubbornness at Wigan is anything to go by, he really won't be changing much any time soon :/

Let's just think on that a minute mate because stubbornness doesn't really cover it I don't feel...

Given how much the 'drop' would impact financially/structurally on a club like WIGAN (look at them now) and given he must have - he had to - have known this...he still refused, point-fuppin'-blank almost to attempt to 'close shop'. He remained, in spite of all that, loyal to his philosophy...

I have a weird habit in that I'll compare & contrast the then & now with him, not to be negative (though, TBH, it doesn't instill confidence either) but just to get a feel for what the chance of progression is. But, literally, it's all there. He's contradictory, often hugely, and the refusal to modify is ASTONISHING. As is the repetition...

'...too many kids are thrown into games too young, are bought by top teams too young and nobody is allowed to develop. Kids should be allowed to ply the trade until they are 22 – 23' RM @ WIGAN

'...The confidence will grow and although it will probably be too much of an ask for a Europa place this season (he wants those 40 points ASAP), he did specify that we will be looking to have the squad and the performances to get us to that next level within the next two to three years'. RM @WIGAN

Those who are still undecided, sincerely, fair play. I'm pretty certain I am now like, whether we beat City or not. And if I'm not sure momentarily then stuff like the below kinda confirms where I am because - simply - what's written below from back then could, for the most, be applied now to us...

'...Martinez will beat a dead horse for all it is worth. This rigidity will possibly mean that Everton have periods where his attractive play decimates other teams in the league with a more primitive playing style, but then other teams will be well prepared for his often predictable ethos of focussing all possession down one flank by passing sideways across the pitch, which is easily negated by the opposition playing a wider formation. Therefore, I think under Martinez you will have absolutely blinders and then the next week absolute shockers' WIGAN FAN

'....he's a very nice bloke, total professional, and speaks well, so will be a superb ambassador for the club. He's committed to playing his idea of the beautiful game, so you'll see some beautiful attacking moves. On the down side, based on my experience, however, you'll see 87 minutes of sideways and backwards passing, interspersed with very poor defending. We weren't the best defensive team in terms of quality, but we did have some decent players, but Martínez's defensive coaching must be woeful. When things don't go to plan, you'll not see changes in tactics (or personnel until at least 80 minutes): there is no plan B. The attacking tempo is very slow and our breaks always relied on a single man, so often were stopped in their tracks. Your free kicks will be wasted with short passes when they could easily be put into the box; that's academic though since you'll rarely see more than 1 or 2 players in the box. " WIGAN FAN

Again, I'd have genuinely loved him to have turned it at one point.

Now I'm pretty certain he won't.

Let's just think on that a minute mate because stubbornness doesn't really cover it I don't feel...

Given how much the 'drop' would impact financially/structurally on a club like WIGAN (look at them now) and given he must have - he had to - have known this...he still refused, point-fuppin'-blank almost to attempt to 'close shop'. He remained, in spite of all that, loyal to his philosophy...

I have a weird habit in that I'll compare & contrast the then & now with him, not to be negative (though, TBH, it doesn't instill confidence either) but just to get a feel for what the chance of progression is. But, literally, it's all there. He's contradictory, often hugely, and the refusal to modify is ASTONISHING. As is the repetition...

'...too many kids are thrown into games too young, are bought by top teams too young and nobody is allowed to develop. Kids should be allowed to ply the trade until they are 22 – 23' RM @ WIGAN

'...The confidence will grow and although it will probably be too much of an ask for a Europa place this season (he wants those 40 points ASAP), he did specify that we will be looking to have the squad and the performances to get us to that next level within the next two to three years'. RM @WIGAN

Those who are still undecided, sincerely, fair play. I'm pretty certain I am now like, whether we beat City or not. And if I'm not sure momentarily then stuff like the below kinda confirms where I am because - simply - what's written below from back then could, for the most, be applied now to us...

'...Martinez will beat a dead horse for all it is worth. This rigidity will possibly mean that Everton have periods where his attractive play decimates other teams in the league with a more primitive playing style, but then other teams will be well prepared for his often predictable ethos of focussing all possession down one flank by passing sideways across the pitch, which is easily negated by the opposition playing a wider formation. Therefore, I think under Martinez you will have absolutely blinders and then the next week absolute shockers' WIGAN FAN

'....he's a very nice bloke, total professional, and speaks well, so will be a superb ambassador for the club. He's committed to playing his idea of the beautiful game, so you'll see some beautiful attacking moves. On the down side, based on my experience, however, you'll see 87 minutes of sideways and backwards passing, interspersed with very poor defending. We weren't the best defensive team in terms of quality, but we did have some decent players, but Martínez's defensive coaching must be woeful. When things don't go to plan, you'll not see changes in tactics (or personnel until at least 80 minutes): there is no plan B. The attacking tempo is very slow and our breaks always relied on a single man, so often were stopped in their tracks. Your free kicks will be wasted with short passes when they could easily be put into the box; that's academic though since you'll rarely see more than 1 or 2 players in the box. " WIGAN FAN

Again, I'd have genuinely loved him to have turned it at one point.

Now I'm pretty certain he won't.

And yet still some people can't see what's happening..
I too would have loved him to have had the substance to back up his style. That time is well passed now for me.

Roberto Martinez has developed a great team. He hasn't built it, but he has developed it, on paper, well. Stones, Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Barkley, Mirallas already here, he deserves credit for attracting Lukaku and Deulofeu.

We all agree he has a better team than Moyes.

Moyes' final season;

Home Record
Played 19
Won 12
Drawn 6
Lost 1
Points 42

Martinez last season and this

Home Record
Played 19
Won 7
Drawn 7
Lost 5
Points 28

Martinez this season;

Home Record

Played 12
Won 3
Drawn 4
Lost 5
Points 13

Under Martinez, for whatever reason, his better side has a complex to playing at home. Personally, I think its a direct consequence of the playing style he has instilled and dictates.

....and I was hoping for a rather dynamic presser off him today.

And yet he simply looks nervy, a bit subdued.....and he's chattin' bubbles.

'No replacement for NAISMITH planned...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back