Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
lollollol surely your on a wind up, right?

Our club finishing 15th and your sound with that? Winning the cup is sound, will be brilliant we need some silverware badly. To finish 15th would be absolutely terrible from every perspective.

Jesus wept. WE ALL want to win a cup, but dropping down the league is not acceptable. From this squad, not acceptable at all.

Great to win a cup.
Terrible to finish 15th.

Both things can be true, but he is right in that it would be a season to remember.

We finished 15th in 1995. We finished 11th last year. 4 places better off. We finished 8th three years before that. Which of those three years do you have better memories of?

I have better memories of the 80s, the 95 final was great. yeah, sound.

We aren't a bottom half of the table team - this squad is capable of so much more, its a massive IF to get through another 2 games of football before saying its your favourite season. What happens if we get beat in either of them two games and finish 15th? that acceptable?

Cant believe how much we are on the slide and its not a bigger issue because we goto the Etihad with a 1 goal advantage.

As much as I'd love to win a cup, a bottom 5 finish would taint it for me. A cup win can't be at the expense of the whole season it comes in.

Great to win a cup.
Terrible to finish 15th.

Both things can be true, but he is right in that it would be a season to remember.

Season to remember, and a good season are two completely different things IMHO.

We are so close to winning a cup i can feel it, but we are also 6 points off 17th - That is not acceptable, the squad which has been put together should be capable of more then winning a cup and 15th.

I'm usually not one for sacking the manager, but I just don't think Martinez is good enough for the Premier League. This philosophy of pass pass pass is outdated and just doesn't work in this league, it might work in the Spanish League where every game isn't a battle like in England.

Depending on tomorrows result I would look at getting De Boer in as his replacement. He could do what Koeman has done at Southampton but with a better quality of players here. He's stated he wants to come to the Prem and I rekon the quicker we can get him in the better, he might be able to convince rom, stones and Gerri to give us one more season, because they will definitely be off in the summer if we continue like this.

We aren't a bottom half of the table team - this squad is capable of so much more, its a massive IF to get through another 2 games of football before saying its your favourite season. What happens if we get beat in either of them two games and finish 15th? that acceptable?

Cant believe how much we are on the slide and its not a bigger issue because we goto the Etihad with a 1 goal advantage.

What I have said for about ten years is that winning games is nice, I like watching us win, but trophies are what matters. That's why I wasn't sucking him off for getting us 5th.

If martinez wins us a trophy, he has succeeded as manager, if he doesn't he has failed.

Martinez could finish 2nd every year for the next decade but if we don't win any trophies that's a failiure, in my mind.

All I'm essentially saying is that judging the season when we're still in two cups is premature, whether the season has been a success or a failiure wil depend on how many trophies we win. If it's none, and I fully expect it will be because we're not playing good enough to win anything at the moment, it's been a failiure and unless we really show some drastic signs of improvement in the league, I'd probably want the manager gone at that point.

But if we win either 1 or 2 trophies then it hasn't been a failiure. And I don't see how anyone could argue with that. We've won nothing in two decades, a trophy overrides everything else bar relegation.

I'm caught in two minds. On the one hand his results have been very disappointing this last season and a half with what we consider our the best squad since the eighties, nowhere near good enough to be honest. On the other hand he's build up this squad and given the youngsters a chance, something he has to be given huge credit for.
Just wish he could sort out the glaring problems we all see!

Me too. If memory serves me correctly, I think in '84 when we'd got to the FA Cup final (at the start of HK's 1st fabled era), we weren't doing well in the league. We put a run a together though and finished 7th.

The year after that, we won the title.

Excuse me, I think I have a semi on.... ;)

Neville' s views, as always, spot on.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2016/01/...s-woes-arent-down-to-luck-you-have-no-plan-b/

blog_neville_hdr.jpg

Neville Southall: Sorry Roberto, Everton’s woes aren’t down to luck, you have no Plan B
The Goodison Park great says the manager has been getting on fans' tits...

southall-25x25.jpg
by Neville Southall | January 26, 2016

If we don’t win on Wednesday it won’t surprise a lot of Evertonians. They’d be upset but they wouldn’t be surprised. More of them would be surprised if we go through to the final because they don’t know what Everton team is going to show up.

When it clicks with this team they’re bloody good to watch but when it doesn’t it looks bloody awful. What happened on Sunday is they pass it about slowly, they were too predictable and they get caught. The second half they come out and Gerard Deulofeu was a different class. The amount of quality crosses he put in to the box was impressive. He could be a key player against City.

Yaya-Toure-800-x-400.jpg

If we make it through to the final that’ll give the whole place a lift, if we can get some players back fit then we have a decent squad. We’re short of a striker, we’re short of general pace and we’re short of someone in midfield who can show that leadership. When I look at most of the other teams in the Premier League United they also lack a leader. City lack a leader. Yes they have Yaya Toure but he covers hardly any ground and seems to want to just walk about for much of the game.

The Capital One Cup often gets derided and overlooked, but the Everton players have to want go in to the game on Wednesday and make themselves heroes. It may not be the biggest prize they win in their professional careers, but it’s an important stepping stone. They can turn this season round in 90 minutes, or whatever it takes to get through. Go get a result there and get the fans back onside with a trip to Wembley.

What I have said for about ten years is that winning games is nice, I like watching us win, but trophies are what matters. That's why I wasn't sucking him off for getting us 5th.

If martinez wins us a trophy, he has succeeded as manager, if he doesn't he has failed.

Martinez could finish 2nd every year for the next decade but if we don't win any trophies that's a failiure, in my mind.

All I'm essentially saying is that judging the season when we're still in two cups is premature, whether the season has been a success or a failiure wil depend on how many trophies we win. If it's none, and I fully expect it will be because we're not playing good enough to win anything at the moment, it's been a failiure and unless we really show some drastic signs of improvement in the league, I'd probably want the manager gone at that point.

But if we win either 1 or 2 trophies then it hasn't been a failiure. And I don't see how anyone could argue with that. We've won nothing in two decades, a trophy overrides everything else bar relegation.
I know what you're getting at, and I agree to a certain extent, but I think the key is your qualifier at the bottom - 'barring relegation'.

Clearly you know deep down that the league is more important, otherwise you wouldn't be bothered about relegation. You know that we're unlikely to win the league any time soon but you want us to remain in this division - why? Because at the end of the day progressing as a club and being one of the big boys is what matters.

A day out a wembley and seeing an Everton captain lift a cup would be fantastic, i might even shed a little tear and I'd certainly be very hoarse and very drunk. But if we're not winning games in the league we're going backwards. A load of people keep using the laughable line that Martinez 'attracted' Lukaku to Everton. That's absolute rubbish. He was attracted to Everton by the fact he wanted to stay in the Premier League and we were the best team Chelsea would let him go to. If we'd been 16th but just won the league cup he'd have probably laughed in our faces and signed for West Brom.

Just said no replacement. For naysmith.. Obviously. Having a laugh..

As said all along, the two signings made thus far was covered by the Naismith fee, with the only hope remaining that we have ringfenced the Yarmolenko money that can't be touched.

I got laughed at for suggesting that the other week, yet it's absolutely obvious. We probably have £3-4m floating around from the Byram failed bid, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back