Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm usually not one for sacking the manager, but I just don't think Martinez is good enough for the Premier League. This philosophy of pass pass pass is outdated and just doesn't work in this league, it might work in the Spanish League where every game isn't a battle like in England.

Depending on tomorrows result I would look at getting De Boer in as his replacement. He could do what Koeman has done at Southampton but with a better quality of players here. He's stated he wants to come to the Prem and I rekon the quicker we can get him in the better, he might be able to convince rom, stones and Gerri to give us one more season, because they will definitely be off in the summer if we continue like this.
Martinez is out of his depth.
The longer he stays the more chance he will ruin us like he did wigan.

Neville' s views, as always, spot on.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2016/01/...s-woes-arent-down-to-luck-you-have-no-plan-b/

blog_neville_hdr.jpg

Neville Southall: Sorry Roberto, Everton’s woes aren’t down to luck, you have no Plan B
The Goodison Park great says the manager has been getting on fans' tits...

southall-25x25.jpg
by Neville Southall | January 26, 2016

If we don’t win on Wednesday it won’t surprise a lot of Evertonians. They’d be upset but they wouldn’t be surprised. More of them would be surprised if we go through to the final because they don’t know what Everton team is going to show up.

When it clicks with this team they’re bloody good to watch but when it doesn’t it looks bloody awful. What happened on Sunday is they pass it about slowly, they were too predictable and they get caught. The second half they come out and Gerard Deulofeu was a different class. The amount of quality crosses he put in to the box was impressive. He could be a key player against City.

Yaya-Toure-800-x-400.jpg

If we make it through to the final that’ll give the whole place a lift, if we can get some players back fit then we have a decent squad. We’re short of a striker, we’re short of general pace and we’re short of someone in midfield who can show that leadership. When I look at most of the other teams in the Premier League United they also lack a leader. City lack a leader. Yes they have Yaya Toure but he covers hardly any ground and seems to want to just walk about for much of the game.

The Capital One Cup often gets derided and overlooked, but the Everton players have to want go in to the game on Wednesday and make themselves heroes. It may not be the biggest prize they win in their professional careers, but it’s an important stepping stone. They can turn this season round in 90 minutes, or whatever it takes to get through. Go get a result there and get the fans back onside with a trip to Wembley.

He's got a caustic personality has Nev, but he nails it a lot. He has there.

Season to remember, and a good season are two completely different things IMHO.

We are so close to winning a cup i can feel it, but we are also 6 points off 17th - That is not acceptable, the squad which has been put together should be capable of more then winning a cup and 15th.

Should be, but football is not always that simple or easy. We are also 8 points off 5th. Its a weird season.

Such fine margins in football. We concentrate slightly better in the final seconds of two games v Chelsea and Bournemouth and we would be 8th and a lot happier with our lot in life despite disappointment at the distance to 4th. (we have shown those concentration levels in some matches this season)

Thats two moments which if they went differently would not indicate we were that much better or worse performance wise than we are now, but points wise and psychologically it would appear much different.

Thats two small things that, if changed, IMO a majority of the fans would be looking forward to tomorrow and hoping and expecting to climb the table in the rest of the season.

Instead we concede two goals in the 98th minute of two games and we have people talking of relegation and sack the manager.

I understand the larger context to peoples anger with last seasons mess followed by this seasons frustrations....aswell as the recent context of a crap defeat on Sunday....but to me I can still see the positives in there that make me look up to 5th rather than down to 15th.

I know what you're getting at, and I agree to a certain extent, but I think the key is your qualifier at the bottom - 'barring relegation'.

Clearly you know deep down that the league is more important, otherwise you wouldn't be bothered about relegation. You know that we're unlikely to win the league any time soon but you want us to remain in this division - why? Because at the end of the day progressing as a club and being one of the big boys is what matters.

A day out a wembley and seeing an Everton captain lift a cup would be fantastic, i might even shed a little tear and I'd certainly be very hoarse and very drunk. But if we're not winning games in the league we're going backwards. A load of people keep using the laughable line that Martinez 'attracted' Lukaku to Everton. That's absolute rubbish. He was attracted to Everton by the fact he wanted to stay in the Premier League and we were the best team Chelsea would let him go to. If we'd been 16th but just won the league cup he'd have probably laughed in our faces and signed for West Brom.

But realistically your not going to slowly progress in this league. To be one of the "Big Boys" means you need a hell of a lot of investment. That isn't happening at the moment. Unfortunately the best we can hope for are cups. Yes you can progress and maybe get into the top four, which would be great. But it's not going to change anything. We aint winning the champions league, maybe the Europa cup at a stretch. But until someone buys us out and we have the cash inflow, Cups like this are what its all about.

He's got a caustic personality has Nev, but he nails it a lot. He has there.

He'd get laughed off here by the mediocrity moaners. Apparently Everton is a two Bob club being held together by Martinez and that's the only reason we've not been relegated already. Funny that one of the greatest players of all time sees Everton in a different light. Maybe he's wrong though, maybe he needs to reset his expectations to enjoy the annual challenge for tenth.

But realistically your not going to slowly progress in this league. To be one of the "Big Boys" means you need a hell of a lot of investment. That isn't happening at the moment. Unfortunately the best we can hope for are cups. Yes you can progress and maybe get into the top four, which would be great. But it's not going to change anything. We aint winning the champions league, maybe the Europa cup at a stretch. But until someone buys us out and we have the cash inflow, Cups like this are what its all about.

Like it or not the top 4 is the 2nd biggest prize in the country now after the title. To secure the future of the club you need the money from the CL. Even if someone buys us the UEFA fair play rules prevent sugar daddy Chelski style spending anymore.

The league cup would be great but it should be the cherry on top not the be all and end all. It's meaningless to the long term success (I don't want to say survival) of this club.

Me too. If memory serves me correctly, I think in '84 when we'd got to the FA Cup final (at the start of HK's 1st fabled era), we weren't doing well in the league. We put a run a together though and finished 7th.

The year after that, we won the title.

Excuse me, I think I have a semi on.... ;)

Great memory... unfortunately football is a different beast right now and I seriously doubt history is about to repeat itself.

More of a business now then a sport, as shown by the ~ £9million different in places price in the premier league between 6th and 14th (last season don't know if its the same).

Like it or not the top 4 is the 2nd biggest prize in the country now after the title. To secure the future of the club you need the money from the CL. Even if someone buys us the UEFA fair play rules prevent sugar daddy Chelski style spending anymore.

The league cup would be great but it should be the cherry on top not the be all and end all. It's meaningless to the long term success (I don't want to say survival) of this club.
I understand what you are saying. I am not saying throw the league priorities out the window. Its mainly this season I think we can forget it and the cup is the priority. I think with improvement in the league naturally means more chances for cup runs as you have a better quality squad.

Got that bang on there

As i say, i certainly don't mean to belittle the cups. I really am desperate for us to win something.

I just think the idea that winning a cup and finishing 17th is a good/acceptable thing is totally wrong. Aside from the fact that you shouldn't have to choose, I really believe that league performance is more important than cups. I think fans of Boro, Birmingham, Wigan etc would probably agree in the main, despite all undoubtedly having been overjoyed at the cup wins.

I also think the current performance of Leicester and possibly West Ham suggests that league progression may not be quite as far fetched as you suggest.

As i say, i certainly don't mean to belittle the cups. I really am desperate for us to win something.

I just think the idea that winning a cup and finishing 17th is a good/acceptable thing is totally wrong. Aside from the fact that you shouldn't have to choose, I really believe that league performance is more important than cups. I think fans of Boro, Birmingham, Wigan etc would probably agree in the main, despite all undoubtedly having been overjoyed at the cup wins.

I also think the current performance of Leicester and possibly West Ham suggests that league progression may not be quite as far fetched as you suggest.
I agree. It is seeming like the playing field is leveling out. A shame we aren't taking advantage of that. Everton that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back