Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all conjecture, but I would agree that Moyes probably wouldn't have paid the £28m for him. I don't think he'd have been opposed to taking him on loan, though.

Moyes would have been more likely to go in for Bony or Benteke, although I'm sure some will swear blind that he'd have wanted Cameron Jerome.

Well he did turn down the option of Bony on loan mate when at Vitesse. Bit different though I admit.

Hey, at least with Jerome it's one less random to score past us with hurtful inevitability.

Problem is there is no proof whatsoever that this style of football will work in the PL. Martinez has been trying it for 6 years now with limited success. Klopp has had to have a quick rethink and I think Pep is in for the shock of his life when he gets here.
My opinion is that it will never work as the game is too quick here, tempo of the game is just too high.

But when we play at a high tempo mate it's great to watch, and it does work, and that's what I think RM is trying to get to.

However, he's a little stuck in his ways re. the defence and plating it out from the back, and that's when our problems a-rise. There hasn't been many times this season we've done that though, if you think back.

- Watford at home first game
- City at home we didn't show our true qualities
- Utd at home but there were special circumstances and it was just one of those days
- Swansea at the weekend

That's it, the only times it's come close to looking like last season - potentially the norwich game in the league cup as well.

Other than that we've been a lot sharper out from the back.

It's lazy analysis from pundits who don't watch us a lot to say we get stuck playing from the back all the time, because we don't. Our fundamental issue is defending simple balls into the box and long passes - and that lack of confidence comes from a keeper who is not fit for purpose - and his selection has to lay at the feet of Martinez.

Sorry just don't agree. There has been no noticeable change in the youth teams under Martinez.

The "Everton Way" predates Martinez by about a decade. It was all part of the Finch Farm project when Moyes wanted everyone in one location. The likes of Dowell were regularly training alongside the first team when they were about 14.

I often read people crediting Martinez for the U18 sides excellent performances but those players have been with Everton since 7. He speaks more openly about it but the structure was put in place well before him by the likes of Ray Hall, Tosh Farrell etc

I'd say the U21s are drastically different to how they were under Moyes... I'm not crediting RM for their successes at a younger age, i'm saying he's implementing a different structure throughout the club which I think down the line will lead to success.

Moyes record w for the strikers were crap. He was better at defenders and midfielder, good solid steady Eddie players

Like Arteta, Pienaar, Mirallas, Cahill, Donovan, Fellaini, Coleman, Baines, Jagielka, Lescott, Distin.

Yeah proper steady eddies there. No way is that a list of internationals some of which have been Everton's best ever prem players and some even in PFA team of the season. No just a load of steady eddies. None of them in the current side though. Barry McCarthy Cleverley Mcgeady Kone Lennon all magical players tearing up the league.

Like Arteta, Pienaar, Mirallas, Cahill, Donovan, Fellaini, Coleman, Baines, Jagielka, Lescott, Distin.

Yeah proper steady eddies there. No way is that a list of internationals some of which have been Everton's best ever prem players and some even in PFA team of the season. No just a load of steady eddies. None of them in the current side though. Barry McCarthy Cleverley Mcgeady Kone Lennon all magical players tearing up the league.

The prem is 23 and a half seasons old. Moyes was here for 11 and a half seasons.

If he didn't sign some of our best ever prem players it would be an outrage, given that nearly half of our prem games were with him as manager.

Moyes's PL winning ratio with Everton was 42%. Martinez is 29% since summer 2014. Overall, 39% including his first season. To be fair, his first season was impressive.

People love to pile in a load of Europa games into a discussion on premier league form.

What also gets lost in these comparisons is that Moyes started with a turgid squad well and truly battling relegation and had to sell his best players at a time when the top 4 was strong, and sides like Leeds Villa Spurs and Newcastle were formidable.

Martinez started with a good foundation, was gifted Barkley and Stones as inheritance, has not had to sell any player he wanted but got a very nice windfall from Fellaini. Has brought in players from a position of top 7 (where Moyes has left us) rather than the relegation zone and has had the benefits of ten years work on the academy. He's also had the purse strings loosened for expensive loans, a top striker, and large fees for good youth prospects. All good things but none were available for Moyes until the last few years.

After all of this their win percentages shouldn't even be anywhere near each other let alone Moyes' PL one being slightly ahead. I never thought Moyes was brilliant but after watching Martinez's premier league performances he is beginning to look a better manager day by day.

The prem is 23 and a half seasons old. Moyes was here for 11 and a half seasons.

If he didn't sign some of our best ever prem players it would be an outrage, given that nearly half of our prem games were with him as manager.

Doesn't detract from the fact that they were very very good players not steady eddies.

Martinez and Moyes have won the same ammount of trophies at everton: 0.
Martinez and Moyes have smiliar average positions in the league at everton: 8 to 7.5
And Martinez has won 43% of his games to Moyes' 41%.
Moyes averaged all of those over a lot longer. Martinez has had one good season and one bad season and looks on course for another bad one. God forbid that Martinez gets 11 years because if he does I'm certain that those averages for him will go down a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back