Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
But when we play at a high tempo mate it's great to watch, and it does work, and that's what I think RM is trying to get to.

However, he's a little stuck in his ways re. the defence and plating it out from the back, and that's when our problems a-rise. There hasn't been many times this season we've done that though, if you think back.

- Watford at home first game
- City at home we didn't show our true qualities
- Utd at home but there were special circumstances and it was just one of those days
- Swansea at the weekend

That's it, the only times it's come close to looking like last season - potentially the norwich game in the league cup as well.

Other than that we've been a lot sharper out from the back.

It's lazy analysis from pundits who don't watch us a lot to say we get stuck playing from the back all the time, because we don't. Our fundamental issue is defending simple balls into the box and long passes - and that lack of confidence comes from a keeper who is not fit for purpose - and his selection has to lay at the feet of Martinez.

Good points but what worries me is we can't keep it up for 90 minutes. Norwich away we couldn't even carry it over to the 2nd half.
I don't think the athlete has been born yet that can keep up the tempo required for 90 minutes week in week out in the PL. Sunday was the perfect example as to what can happen if you try and keep it up. We just looked so tired all over the pitch.
If he could learn to shut up shop when 1 or 2 up even for 10 -15 minutes it would give the players a bit of a breather for the later stages of games but no he wants to play this style for 90 minutes all the time and it's proving suicidal.

For me Wednesday isn't the important game for Martinez, tough ask away at City, although it can be done. The game to judge him on will be the Newcastle one, home game against a side who are struggling worse than us (Swansea may have played better than usual as they had a new manager and would be trying to impress) can't seem to keep a clean sheet and they just got beaten by a Watford side who seemed to have going through a little dip in form. Anything other than a win would be unacceptable and if he didn't achieve this surely the writing would be on the wall...

I'd say the U21s are drastically different to how they were under Moyes... I'm not crediting RM for their successes at a younger age, i'm saying he's implementing a different structure throughout the club which I think down the line will lead to success.

And I'm disagreeing there is a different structure. The systems predate RM and, quite rightly, are kept away from the first team manager. No point in ripping up a structure that is working.

Until this year all the staff were as before with people who left being replaced by internal appointments. We do now have a new academy head, appointed with input from RM, but he deals with systems and structures rather than coaching.

I'll agree RM is a vocal advocate of our youth teams, and often watches them, but he hasn't interfered or changed things.

Moyes wasnt a success but still think he'd get more out of our very talented first eleven

The first year of Martinez's reign had consistent performances at a level we never really saw under Moyes.

Having said that I think Moyes's last season was as good as we played under Moyes so Martinez inherited a very good team and just made it a little better (certainly the real improvement happened when we bought jelavic not when we got martinez). But it's hard to write off the chances off Martinez getting us playing when I saw him do it with my own eyes 2 years ago.

And I'm disagreeing there is a different structure. The systems predate RM and, quite rightly, are kept away from the first team manager. No point in ripping up a structure that is working.

Until this year all the staff were as before with people who left being replaced by internal appointments. We do now have a new academy head, appointed with input from RM, but he deals with systems and structures rather than coaching.

I'll agree RM is a vocal advocate of our youth teams, and often watches them, but he hasn't interfered or changed things.

What I'm saying is I believe that the academy is now producing players who will come through the academy and automatically fit into a system - my evidence of that is how well Dowell did in pre-season.

Now, I'm not saying that didn't happen under Moyes, but I believe that Martinez is more an advocate of moulding a player around a set style of play (like they do at Barca) than Moyes.

@ijjysmith @Allezfan I didn't know he was ever offered Bony, although I was thinking more around the time he proved himself at Swansea anyway. A bit like when he bought Yakubu from Middlesbrough after passing up on him at Portsmouth (in favour of Beattie :lol: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back