Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will show fight and desire tomorrow. Something we've been lacking all season long almost.

Only games I can think of where we won or drew because of that fighting spirit are Chelsea at home and the first leg a few weeks ago. Here's to tomorrow being the third;).

If we embarrass ourselves tonight Martinez needs to do the right thing and go. Results over past 18 months have been relegation form and don't look like improving. Shame but it seems he just ain't capable of taking us past mid table after his fluke first season.

If we embarrass ourselves tonight Martinez needs to do the right thing and go. Results over past 18 months have been relegation form and don't look like improving. Shame but it seems he just ain't capable of taking us past mid table after his fluke first season.
Bloody hell - on a day that's massive for us we get this. Why not just for one day enjoy were one step from Wembley with an army about to take over Manchester.

Bloody hell - on a day that's massive for us we get this. Why not just for one day enjoy were one step from Wembley with an army about to take over Manchester.
Don't be soft mate. You think my post will somehow influence the game or something?!

There is no denying our form has been relegation-like over last 18, months, why are you prepared to look past this?

Martinez would have been long since sacked at any other club in the league and possibly the lower leagues too - lucky for him expectations under the Kenwrong stewardship are so low fans like yourself accept such mediocrity and the board are satisfied so long as the club is raking in dem premier league TV deals.

I am excited for tonight, i think we can do it, but also think - as proven time and time again - we'll lose in the final against those lovable Reds.

That's just the way it goes.

Don't be soft mate. You think my post will somehow influence the game or something?!

There is no denying our form has been relegation-like over last 18, months, why are you prepared to look past this?

Martinez would have been long since sacked at any other club in the league and possibly the lower leagues too - lucky for him expectations under the Kenwrong stewardship are so low fans like yourself accept such mediocrity and the board are satisfied so long as the club is raking in dem premier league TV deals.

I am excited for tonight, i think we can do it, but also think - as proven time and time again - we'll lose in the final against those lovable Reds.

That's just the way it goes.

Putting all negative thoughts to one side for today - those players including our manager will need us more than ever tonight and for me martenez unlike moyes won't fear Liverpool. One of those rare occasions we all need to stand as one.

Results over past 18 months have been relegation form and don't look like improving.

Even for a comedy login you do come out with such utter drivel. If we had 'relegation form' for 18 months then at some point during that 18 months there would have been some threat of relegation. Are you aware that to be relegated you need to finish in the Bottom Three?

Away with your utter bad Country and Western

You be careful with that optimism, as the next step will be being positive

Be careful

Not going to happen with this fella I'm afraid. My 1% of optimism evaporated overnight. Certain we'll be dumped out.
For me, with the RS now in the final, its sh1t or bust. He'd have to win this competition or do one.

I want to make a positive post about Martinez.

He has brought Lukaku, Del, Mori, Besic, McCarthy, Galloway and Cleverley.

All very good signings thus far and with an eye clearly on the future.

If only he could motivate the team, sort out how to close a game down when we are in front, stop throwing awaw leads and get a few wins under his belt, then I would be willing to switch back into his camp.

I want to make a positive post about Martinez.

He has brought Lukaku, Del, Mori, Besic, McCarthy, Galloway and Cleverley.

All very good signings thus far and with an eye clearly on the future.

If only he could motivate the team, sort out how to close a game down when we are in front, stop throwing awaw leads and get a few wins under his belt, then I would be willing to switch back into his camp.

If you remove cleverly from the list I agree with you he has an eye for a player.

On the rest, it's a long list of stuff he needs to do and he looks no closer to doing it now than 18 months ago

Was thinking that to myself earlier today, as I wrote in a post "fortune favours the brave" about Martinez' first season with us... where did all the bravery actually go? We loved him for it, nearly every Evertonian out there at the time (probably) would've said "I trust Martinez with his subs/tactical adjustments"... and in the second season that went out the window like it was nothing, except for the Europa group games (imo) and a few times during the whole season, cups and all included.

Really odd.

Like St Paul, Martinez had a 'Road To Damascus' moment....the 6-2 defeat by Chelsea. I think he is personally still coming to terms with this, and it definitely accounts for any attempts at caution that have crept into his tactical game. That heavy Chelsea defeat made RM wake up to the fact that we weren't Wigan, and like all potentially great teams, we had to be built from the back. And in fact, we have a fair number of defenders who are individually pretty good players. All current or near current internationals. I honestly feel that Martinez could be very successful at Everton...his biggest problem is himself, are rather his basic philosophy, which he is finding very hard to change. There is nothing wrong with liking the 'beautiful game' of football, but defending can be as 'beautiful' as great attacking play, and Martinez needs to realise this. I think he will.....he is right to keep saying that Everton is a work in progress, and when we get the defensive side right, we will have some consistent success, not flash in the pan single season success. As well as Martinez chaning his philosophy, supporters also have to change the way they think, and become more patient....an even harder task than the one facing Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back