Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve conceded 110 (all comps) 84 (league) since the start of last season. Only the current bottom 3 are worse off.

We’ve only won 18 out of 61 league games. Again only Newcastle, Villa and Sunderland are worse off. Oh, and Walter Smith was sacked with 18 wins from 67 with a much worse squad of players.

We’ve made 20 defensive errors in the last season and a half. More than any other team.

We’ve conceded 9 goals in the final 15 minutes of games. Only Norwich are worse off.

We haven’t won back to back league games since April.

In recent weeks he’s backed a keeper who clearly isn’t god enough just because he has “experience”

He claimed the squad is too big despite only having one fit right back.

Despite having a £3.7m bid accepted for a backup right back he claims that we didn’t actually need or want him.

He’s insisted that we don’t rely on Lukaku to win games but were would be without his goals?

He’s openly admitted that he’s happy “if they score 3 goals in the right way then you accept it” this is despite realising that we will become statistically the worst team in this league if the current bottom 3 are relegated.

It’s not our fans that have lost the plot. Although some are a bit thick.

We've also scored 127 in that same time frame mate.

I think RM's communication skills are, for a smart man, dreadful at times.

I believe he also is a staunch believer in bigging up his squad and not criticising players in public. It goes a long way to explaining some of his comments.

I agree on the '3 goals in the right way' thing, it's ridiculous. Though if he had said, 'if the opposition score a very good goal, then sometimes you have to accept that as good football', or something along those lines, I think it would have been taken better.

It's very funny to read this thread.
It's so football manager like it's untrue.

"We deserve better"
Do we? Based on what? What have we won since 1995 that warrants any exclamation that we are a big, successful club?

"The players are underachieving"
Based on what? Individual talent? Football manager-type scores out of 20 per attribute?

"The manager is using ridiculous excuses"
Phantom goals, offside decisions aside. What about the fact that we've been missing our legs in midfield, Besic and McCarthy for a fair few of the 20+ games weve played so far? Or should the mighty Everton have a third dynamic player waiting in the wings ready to do a good job?

"The players aren't learning".
The players are people. People lose confidence when things that were going for them no longer are. E.g. John Stones. Everything he does at the moment looks a consequence of second guessing himself. He has to ride it out. There is no other option for a player of his potential. Lukaku has hit a dry patch and its affecting his decision making (Swansea). They ARE learning. that's exactly the point. It just won't take 1 game.

"What if we lose some of these players?!"

So? We are bigger than any player. For clubs who can afford top quality, seasoned internationals to complement younger heads like Lukaku, that can only help them improve. We can't afford that. We have to play more kids than is appropriate. Anyone got 250milllion in their current account to remedy this?

"The manager talks guff".

Yep. They all do.
Sometimes though, he talks sense. Like today. But don't let a call for patience based on an appreciation of our heritage and understanding of young players and their failings get in the way of a good fume eh?

As you were lads. Like a scene from the walking dead in here.

First class ticket on the Fume Express to Fumetown mate, with fume and extra fume provided en route.

Agree that he shouldn't come out and say what the media want to hear, but he doesn't help himself at times with some of the things he does come out and say.

Again, I agree. But, and I think it was @kithnou who provided the quote in full in this thread earlier, what he actually said today wasn't too bad. There's been a massive over-reaction because some fans, as they always do, took a single line from the quote, rather than the whole context. Or only heard what they wanted to hear to fit their opinion.

I'm trying to present the other side of the argument, while remaining balanced and I do acknowledge a lot of concerns from people who want him out.
I just don't think sacking him is the best option in any way at this point.

Roberto Martinez asks for Everton fans' patience in wake of cup exit
Martinez declares he will "give his life" to making Everton successful again
Martinez is determined to turn things around

Under-fire Roberto Martinez insists he will “give his life” to bring success back to Everton .

The Catalan has come in for fierce criticism in the wake of Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup exit at Manchester City as a frustrating season hit a new low.
Under-fire Roberto Martinez insists he will “give his life” to bring success back to Everton .

The Catalan has come in for fierce criticism in the wake of Wednesday night’s Capital One Cup exit at Manchester City as a frustrating season hit a new low.

Martinez has asked for patience from those disgruntled fans and urged them to back his talented side, despite just three wins in their last 12 games.

Everton head to Carlisle United on Sunday for an FA Cup fourth round tie with many feeling the competition offers the only chance to save their faltering campaign.

And asked if he felt under more pressure after losing at the Etihad, Martinez said: “It is exactly the same.

“Nobody puts more pressure on me than myself.

“Even in the first season here there was a lot of positive feeling around the team and myself and the pressure to maintain the standards on a daily basis and ensure we had a good vision to develop our squad was always the case.

“The pressure in the first season was probably greater than in any other season but at the moment I can understand the feelings of frustration from the outside, we are a big club and you need to have that.

zzPROP140412-030-Sunderland_Everton.jpg

Martinez admits he felt more pressure during his first season in charge

“But I am not a manager who is going to try and justify a defeat or try to find someone to blame because that will not give us glory at the end of the period.

“We need a long and well-thought strategy in order to become a winning team again and I will be the one to give my life to trying to work towards that.”

Martinez has assembled one of the most exciting squads in Everton’s recent history and the Blues boast the Premier League’s most prolific attack.

But their defence is the division’s 14th worst and no side has conceded as many at home as they have.

The Everton boss, however, wants the supporters, despite their frustrations, to hold onto the team’s qualities.

“Try to see, in the middle of the pain, what we have done,” he said.

2016 Getty Images
JS79779396.jpg

Gerard Deulofeu of Everton takes on Martin Demichelis and Gael Clichy of Manchester City

“We have players who are expressing incredible talent and swagger in the best moments of their careers, even earlier than that.

“We have to remain with an optimistic view of what we are.

“We played two games with Manchester City, a team that is designed and a team that has experienced success in the last few seasons and a team that is there to win titles.

“Over two legs, we were very unfortunate not to go through.

2016 Getty Images
JS81318646.jpg

Martinez shows his anger on the touchline at the Etihad

“That is a real compliment, it is not that we hoped to go through, we attacked Man City, have been eye-to-eye and for the longer period of the tie, we were through.

“And that is a very positive approach, we don’t expect to just win a title but we expect to become a competitive team who can compete constantly with everything and with everyone in the league.

“We are in a tough period but the signs are there and we need to be patient and believe in this strategy of building a winning team that could get us back to where we should be as a football club.”

I believe he also is a staunch believer in bigging up his squad and not criticising players in public. It goes a long way to explaining some of his comments.

He doesn't have to call out players but a simple "our defending and goalkeeping isn't good enough, I need to fix it" would help a lot. The things he says make him sound like he doesn't watch the games.

Again, I agree. But, and I think it was @kithnou who provided the quote in full in this thread earlier, what he actually said today wasn't too bad. There's been a massive over-reaction because some fans, as they always do, took a single line from the quote, rather than the whole context. Or only heard what they wanted to hear to fit their opinion.

I'm trying to present the other side of the argument, while remaining balanced and I do acknowledge a lot of concerns from people who want him out.
I just don't think sacking him is the best option in any way at this point.

I've always backed him mate, and still do, and to tell you the truth, I never read the full quote, I just picked up on the 'underachieving' line that one of the lads put up. Will go and have a read of the full piece now.

Martinez has asked for patience from those disgruntled fans and urged them to back his talented side, despite just three wins in their last 12 games.

Everton head to Carlisle United on Sunday for an FA Cup fourth round tie with many feeling the competition offers the only chance to save their faltering campaign.

And asked if he felt under more pressure after losing at the Etihad, Martinez said: “It is exactly the same.

“Even in the first season here there was a lot of positive feeling around the team and myself and the pressure to maintain the standards on a daily basis and ensure we had a good vision to develop our squad was always the case.

“The pressure in the first season was probably greater than in any other season but at the moment I can understand the feelings of frustration from the outside, we are a big club and you need to have that.

“But I am not a manager who is going to try and justify a defeat or try to find someone to blame because that will not give us glory at the end of the period.

“We need a long and well-thought strategy in order to become a winning team again and I will be the one to give my life to trying to work towards that.”

Martinez has assembled one of the most exciting squads in Everton’s recent history and the Blues boast the Premier League’s most prolific attack.

But their defence is the division’s 14th worst and no side has conceded as many at home as they have.

The Everton boss, however, wants the supporters, despite their frustrations, to hold onto the team’s qualities.

2016 Getty Images
JS79779396.jpg

Gerard Deulofeu of Everton takes on Martin Demichelis and Gael Clichy of Manchester City

“We have players who are expressing incredible talent and swagger in the best moments of their careers, even earlier than that.

“We played two games with Manchester City, a team that is designed and a team that has experienced success in the last few seasons and a team that is there to win titles.

2016 Getty Images
JS81318646.jpg

“That is a real compliment, it is not that we hoped to go through, we attacked Man City, have been eye-to-eye and for the longer period of the tie, we were through.

“And that is a very positive approach, we don’t expect to just win a title but we expect to become a competitive team who can compete constantly with everything and with everyone in the league.

“We are in a tough period but the signs are there and we need to be patient and believe in this strategy of building a winning team that could get us back to where we should be as a football club.”

I've been patient for the last 18 months.

Nothing's changed

is it just me or does that basically reek of the 0-1 'WIN' Liverpool came out with against Real Madrid?

2016 Getty Images
JS79779396.jpg

2016 Getty Images
JS81318646.jpg

Can be summed up simply by 'winning without winning'

I see after all the patronising abuse you took for calling this out earlier not one poster has come forward and said that it was over the top. Instead there was premature gloating after a win at home v the bottom of the league, merciless mocking when we made a quarter final of the league cup, and constantly being called a bad fan, football idiot, or FIFA fanboy beaut. No doubt it will all come out again should we win even one game.

The problems of the last 18 months have been clear to see, there's always time to turn it around but just denying it to maintain an image of 'I'm right' was childish. It shouldn't take a cup exit to City to make it OK to call out 18 months of consistent underachievement. Hopefully next time views outside of the party line will be better treated.

@ianefc can leak dribble with the best of them.

Shame too as once upon a time I saw him a worthy and respected adversary.

I'll stick to you and your other minion zombies SD when I'm firing the pro-Martinez shot gun. I can't miss with the size of the rhetoric you post. You're not a barrister are you by any chance?

It's very funny to read this thread.
It's so football manager like it's untrue.

"We deserve better"
Do we? Based on what? What have we won since 1995 that warrants any exclamation that we are a big, successful club?

"The players are underachieving"
Based on what? Individual talent? Football manager-type scores out of 20 per attribute?

"The manager is using ridiculous excuses"
Phantom goals, offside decisions aside. What about the fact that we've been missing our legs in midfield, Besic and McCarthy for a fair few of the 20+ games weve played so far? Or should the mighty Everton have a third dynamic player waiting in the wings ready to do a good job?

"The players aren't learning".
The players are people. People lose confidence when things that were going for them no longer are. E.g. John Stones. Everything he does at the moment looks a consequence of second guessing himself. He has to ride it out. There is no other option for a player of his potential. Lukaku has hit a dry patch and its affecting his decision making (Swansea). They ARE learning. that's exactly the point. It just won't take 1 game.

"What if we lose some of these players?!"

So? We are bigger than any player. For clubs who can afford top quality, seasoned internationals to complement younger heads like Lukaku, that can only help them improve. We can't afford that. We have to play more kids than is appropriate. Anyone got 250milllion in their current account to remedy this?

"The manager talks guff".

Yep. They all do.
Sometimes though, he talks sense. Like today. But don't let a call for patience based on an appreciation of our heritage and understanding of young players and their failings get in the way of a good fume eh?

As you were lads. Like a scene from the walking dead in here.
What do you mean by Football manager?

Also how often had the phrase 'we deserve better' been used? Can you do a bit of vaulting?

Their is a difference between fans saying what they deserve and what they expect.

I'm not going to regurgitate all the negative stats that have been posted by myself and others to prove expectations aren't being met.

I am interested to know where you are at with Martinez/Everton and depending on that what would it now take to change your stance one way or the other?

Why does he keep saying things along the lines of:

We're on the brink of something special, we want the fans to be proud of us.

We're not proud mate, we're bored. Same old boring ideas, philosophy and team selections.

Thing we're most bored of is the turd that comes out of his mouth, I do like a bit of positivity in a manager but not when it's obvious we are playing well below standards expected of a squad with that amount of talent.

I've supported him more than most but I've had enough now, he needs to go. Just get Mourinho in FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back