Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
CZ6lTyoWYAACgML.jpg

Atkinson should not have needed a replay to make that decision. I didn't, I was watching it at full speed on a fluctuating speed only half concentrating as I was covering the game. I could tell it was out straight away.

Same with Jones/the lino (same one who we had against City on weds) at Chelsea, who should have spotted the offside.

If the highly paid professional players/manager can get slated for it, then the highly paid and professional officials should also be culpable when the decisions have cost us (in the case of Chelsea, it cost us two points and a much-needed confidence boosting win, in the case of City, who knows what would have happened).

Don't agree with him on the rest of the points though.

Paul Merson has had a right to at Martinez and Stones and a lot of it is very true. Sorry can't seem to link it.

Essentially asks how Martinez keeps getting away with it.

We seem to do things a lot different to other clubs, and I'm not sure its for the better. Chelsea won the league last year and had someone who is considered to be one of the best managers in the world, but their performances this season weren't good enough so he was sacked.

Even the RS, Brenda took them within touching distance of winning the title a couple of years ago, but that was quickly forgotten about and he was sacked when his performance proved not to be good enough. Whereas Evertonians are still going on about a 5th placed finish from three years ago as a reason to keep a manager who is proving not to be good enough. I know stability is important, but so is ambition, and I don't think there is much at Everton.

PAUL MERSON

HOW does Roberto Martinez get away with it? If Everton lose at Carlisle on Sunday he is in big, big trouble – and he should be.

I don’t know why he doesn’t get more stick. He’s got one of the best teams in the league and they are massively under-performing.

The amount of goals they are letting in is unacceptable and you can’t blame it all on John Stones. He’s told to the play the way he does by the manager.

Martinez has got the England left back in Leighton Baines, the Irish right back in Seamus Coleman, a £50m centre back if you believe the hype about Stones, and one of the most experienced defenders around in Phil Jagielka.

He plays with two holding midfielders in front of them, including Gareth Barry who covers more yards than almost anyone in the division and they let in goals every week.

How is that possible?

Martinez is supposed to be one of the brightest managers around but you can’t keep on doing the same things and getting the same results.

Okay, the goal that turned their League Cup semi-final against Manchester City this week shouldn’t have counted. You can’t legislate for decisions like that.

But let’s not paper over the cracks, they are letting in too many goals. City scored three and hit the post twice.

It’s not good enough. I know plenty of Everton fans have turned against him. But why isn’t he getting more stick? It’s unacceptable.

You hear him talk after games and you start thinking: “Oh maybe he’s right, it’s not that bad, they let five goals in but they were a bit unlucky…”

Hold on. No. It’s like that scene in ‘Men In Black’ when Will Smith presses the button and everyone forgets everything. That’s what it like when he starts talking.

People say they’re good to watch. Are they? I know what I would want to watch if I was an Everton fan – a winning team.

I understand about Stones. England don’t have many centre halves who are so comfortable on the ball and he’s very quick as well.

But watch how he tackles. A lot of his tackles are last-ditch slide tackles because he’s always out of position and he’s quick enough to make up for it.

His positional play is atrocious. He doesn’t see things quickly enough. If you ask anyone for their top 10 defenders of recent times, Tony Adams and Paul McGrath would be in there.

And both of them knew when to smash it into Row Z and get back into position. Until this lad sorts his game out players will love playing against him because he always gives you a chance.

You can’t be doing Cruyff turns in your own six-yard box. I don’t care what Rio Ferdinand says. If he does that at the Euros, England will be coming home.

But it’s down to the manager. The manager needs to tell him. Rio had a go at Everton fans for getting on the kid’s back the other day.

He reckons West Ham fans never did that to him when he played. But I played with Rio many times. He never took liberties like that.

He says you have to let Stones make mistakes. But when Rio played it cost about £20 to watch football. Now it costs a fortune. Fans don’t pay all their wages to watch a kid make mistakes.

Stones would be a better defender now if he’d gone to Chelsea. He wouldn’t have been allowed to do things like that. He’d have learned from the best. Under Martinez he’s just learning bad habits.

So Everton don’t just have to beat Carlisle in my opinion. They have to win it. This is a good team. Surely they should be winning things. They’re 12th in the league.

That’s unacceptable. West Ham are well above them. How does that work?

Martinez has got away with it so far but he won’t if they go out to Carlisle.

Mary Poppins checks in to a hotel. She asks the receptionist if the restaurant is still open to which she replies, "Yes". Mary orders cauliflower cheese to be delivered to her room and at the same time orders breakfast in bed and chooses scrambled eggs.

On checkout the following morning, the receptionist asks if everything was ok with her stay. She replies, "well the cauliflower cheese was quite delicious, possibly the best I have ever had. But the eggs at breakfast were horrible and I think they were off".

The receptionist apologises and asks her to leave her feedback in the visitor book. Mary grabs a pen and leaves the following comment.

"Supercauliflowercheesebuteggswerejustatrocious"

We seem to do things a lot different to other clubs, and I'm not sure its for the better. Chelsea won the league last year and had someone who is considered to be one of the best managers in the world, but their performances this season weren't good enough so he was sacked.

Even the RS, Brenda took them within touching distance of winning the title a couple of years ago, but that was quickly forgotten about and he was sacked when his performance proved not to be good enough. Whereas Evertonians are still going on about a 5th placed finish from three years ago as a reason to keep a manager who is proving not to be good enough. I know stability is important, but so is ambition, and I don't think there is much at Everton.

Yes - let's use Chelsea as our model.

You know what, this is pretty spot on. If RM was at any of the other top clubs he would have gone months ago. Its all about ambition. I want us to win stuff. To be the best. Under RM there is no chance of that. Lets move on, take a risk and who knows what we can and will achieve

John Giles in the Independent:

Roberto Martinez must start delivering soon or all his fine words will mark him as a talker and not a winner. If his team was as fluent as he is in a press conference, he would have no problems at all.
But I've always thought that he talks too much for his own good and uses words to bat away reality.

After losing to Manchester City in the midweek League Cup semi-final, it was all about the Raheem Sterling cross and the fact that everyone else watching the game saw the ball go out of play and the officials didn't.

Of course I understand how much that must have hurt Martinez and his players. But there were other moments in the game which caused self-inflicted damage.

The problem for Martinez is that his flow of words cannot hide shortcomings in his defence and more generally, in his team's ability to capitalise on a winning position

Seems our boss is getting some bad press.

It would be absolutely miraculous and hilarious at the same time if we finished top Four this season. All the doubters, including me, would hang our heads in defeat, and all the pro Bobby folk would be celebrating like we just won the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back