Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I'll agree with paul merson when he says stuff I agree with. I'll disagree when he says stuff I think is wrong. No one's claiming he's a top pundit or tactical boss, just highlighting what appears to be on this occassion accurate points.

And I'll agree with Martinez - when he says stuff I agree with, of course!

I'll admit sometimes he baffles me. But it's important to note that what I quoted was from the first question in the presser - a question about the referee and a chat with Mike Riley.

He said, and I'm paraphrasing, 'of course it is frustrating, and you would like an explanation, but we also need to look at ourselves', before going on to then say what I quoted.

Infortunately though, his David Brentism's are really starting to draw attention from the press. The only real thing that is shielding him from them at the mo ( imo ) is that there's a bigger story at Man U with their manager and how crap they are. If they start winning games again, they'll turn on Martinez properly.

A bit of an analogy. Say you owned a business. RM managed your business and had done for the last 3 years. This is the business that pays your mortgage, feeds your family and is providing for your retirement. If he had comparable results to his EFC acomplishments, would you be happy to let him carry on.

Werid analogy slightly in terms of switching over the factors, but I'll give it a go ...

If my gut instinct told me that the business was, in general, showing signs of promise and due to a variety of factors maybe not quite living up to that promise at the moment, but looked as though it could with a bit of luck and a bit of hard work in certain areas, then yes.

He says "I am convinced we will get the rewards if we apply ourselves in those little margins."

That's taking responsibility - we need to apply ourselves better in those situations - which is true. He wasn't going to come out and say 'the defending is tosh', is he? As much as fans want him to, it just won't happen - he's not going to publicly criticise his team. It/he just doesn't work like that. Just because fans want it to doesn't make it so.
When the sound bites become tangible on a match day, I'll start to take notice mate.

2 1/2 years in, he's still regurgitating the same old pap.

If you want to hang on every word and read into them what you'd like to see, then that's your choice bud, but I'm not holding my breath

Infortunately though, his David Brentism's are really starting to draw attention from the press. The only real thing that is shielding him from them at the mo ( imo ) is that there's a bigger story at Man U with their manager and how crap they are. If they start picking up again, they'll turn on Martinez properly.

The London press already turned on Martinez last summer for hindering Stones' career by not letting him join Chelsea. The big journo names don't care about us really, except when they can say we're underachieving and that our best players can now be sold...

Take the prime example of when we were ace in his first season - playing similar football in a lot of ways to how Spurs (the latest media darlings) are now. Instead of getting credit for bringing through the likes of Barkley (Alli), Stones (Dier), and Lukaku (Kane), and bringing in astute signings like Deulofeu, Barry and McCarthy, he got criticised for exploiting the loan market.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy theory against Everton in the media. They just don't care though. If that decision on Wednesday had gone against City, or the RS, there would be upheaval in the media (hell, they're still bringing up the Stones penalty incident and the Mirallas on Navas one and that was nearly a month ago!). It's the sad truth, and unfortunately a lot of fans use that tainted view to fuel the fire in their opinion against Martinez. Not saying their views are because of the media, but it's a viscous circle...

When the sound bites become tangible on a match day, I'll start to take notice mate.

2 1/2 years in, he's still regurgitating the same old pap.

If you want to hang on every word and read into them what you'd like to see, then that's your choice bud, but I'm not holding my breath

Mate, that's what you/other fans were doing earlier? I'm not hanging off every word or having to read into what he said at all.

He clearly said we need to apply ourselves better in those situations.

What is wrong with that in the slightest?

The next time a PL manager comes out in a pre-match presser and publicly says that his defenders/tactics aren't up to scratch two days before a big game, let me know.

Werid analogy slightly in terms of switching over the factors, but I'll give it a go ...

If my gut instinct told me that the business was, in general, showing signs of promise and due to a variety of factors maybe not quite living up to that promise at the moment, but looked as though it could with a bit of luck and a bit of hard work in certain areas, then yes.
And your business would go bust....

I long for the days when teams feared coming to Goodison. His legacy has been one of ruining our outstanding home record.

Agree on this. Can I suggest that - and I know that the team need to propel the fans etc - that instead of boos after three minutes at Goodison, it might be a bit more fearful for opposition teams if there were Everton/player chants etc. Barkley, for example, was fantastic the other night. Get right behind him from the off like the away support did. He's the epitome of a confidence player, as are Stones and Del, and to an extent Rom. Get them four playing at home and the rest usually follow suit...

Agree on this. Can I suggest that - and I know that the team need to propel the fans etc - that instead of boos after three minutes at Goodison, it might be a bit more fearful for opposition teams if there were Everton/player chants etc. Barkley, for example, was fantastic the other night. Get right behind him from the off like the away support did. He's the epitome of a confidence player, as are Stones and Del, and to an extent Rom. Get them four playing at home and the rest usually follow suit...

Cause and effect though. Martinez's ineptitude has caused the poor atmosphere. Up to him to get fans excited again.

Our fans are never going to accept the horrific disregard for defence that his style brings.

The London press already turned on Martinez last summer for hindering Stones' career by not letting him join Chelsea. The big journo names don't care about us really, except when they can say we're underachieving and that our best players can now be sold...

Take the prime example of when we were ace in his first season - playing similar football in a lot of ways to how Spurs (the latest media darlings) are now. Instead of getting credit for bringing through the likes of Barkley (Alli), Stones (Dier), and Lukaku (Kane), and bringing in astute signings like Deulofeu, Barry and McCarthy, he got criticised for exploiting the loan market.

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy theory against Everton in the media. They just don't care though. If that decision on Wednesday had gone against City, or the RS, there would be upheaval in the media (hell, they're still bringing up the Stones penalty incident and the Mirallas on Navas one and that was nearly a month ago!). It's the sad truth, and unfortunately a lot of fans use that tainted view to fuel the fire in their opinion against Martinez. Not saying their views are because of the media, but it's a viscous circle...

It's the way of the British press mate. They love destroying successful people from all walks of life. Booby needs to step out of the firing line for a bit imo and just see the season out. Adrian Durham, Talksport, quoted an article off Toffeweb yesterday - " an open letter to Martinez ". Talking nonsense all the time, just makes him more of a target for them.

He clearly said we need to apply ourselves better in those situations.

What is wrong with that in the slightest?

The next time a PL manager comes out in a pre-match presser and publicly says that his defenders/tactics aren't up to scratch two days before a big game, let me know.

What's wrong is that he's said it for months at this stage and nothing has changed.

The rubbish that he spouts is worse than the crap Rodgers spoke but he gets away with it because the Spanish accent sounds better than the norn iron accent.

Giles has spoken!!!! Bit rich coming from him who has made his living for the past 30 years from talking - didn't do much as a manager. However, leaving that aside, again some hard but fair points being made.....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...talks-too-much-for-his-own-good-34408060.html

John Giles: Everton boss Roberto Martinez talks too much for his own good

Roberto Martinez must start delivering soon or all his fine words will mark him as a talker and not a winner. If his team was as fluent as he is in a press conference, he would have no problems at all.

But I've always thought that he talks too much for his own good and uses words to bat away reality.

After losing to Manchester City in the midweek League Cup semi-final, it was all about the Raheem Sterling cross and the fact that everyone else watching the game saw the ball go out of play and the officials didn't.

Of course I understand how much that must have hurt Martinez and his players. But there were other moments in the game which caused self-inflicted damage.

The problem for Martinez is that his flow of words cannot hide shortcomings in his defence and more generally, in his team's ability to capitalise on a winning position.

He focuses on bad decisions but the real problem lies closer to home. It's a defence mechanism which is acceptable from a winning manager because he usually corrects the faults which cause a poor performance or an individual player to play badly.

But it becomes an irritating whine if a manager is constantly blaming everything but the obvious for bad results.

Martinez has not been shy about selling himself or the group of players he is working with and predicting great things for his team. But that sounds like an election promise to Everton supporters, who see a very talented young squad but no sign of progress.

They are a tolerant bunch, the Everton faithful. They gave David Moyes (pictured above) as much time as he wanted and gave him an ovation when he was leaving because they knew what he had done for the club.

I think it's fair to say that Martinez has improved the squad but he is also enjoying the benefits of Moyes' careful stewardship of the club at all levels and particularly the academy.

Martinez has bought carefully and quite well to add to the home grown stock of players like Ross Barkley and John Stones but he has also made costly mistakes.

Aiden McGeady is clearly one of them but you'd never guess that from the way the Everton manager talks and it is this part of his personality which worries me the most and will trip him up eventually, as it did Brendan Rodgers.

He is far too willing to insult everyone's intelligence by painting a rosy picture when all I see is thorns.

In Ireland, we have watched McGeady for years. We know he has an independent streak which sometimes comes into conflict with authority but we also know he can do truly wonderful things with a football.

For me, unfortunately, he has never done it often enough and to be honest, I don't think he ever will which is a great, great pity.

There are moments when he does things with a football which lift your spirit and a few seconds later, he drops you back down on the floor like a deflated balloon.

I don't know why McGeady cannot be more consistent and I don't know why his time at Everton has been so disappointing, apart from the injury issues he had to deal with.

But he has been fit for a number of weeks now and it is very telling that he cannot even make it into a match day squad.

And yet Martinez speaks about McGeady as if he will be the star turn next season for Everton.

He has spoken about finding a loan move for McGeady and helping him out in his quest for regular football to prepare for Euro 2016 so that he can come back to Goodison refreshed and ready for pre-season. That's a load of old nonsense. If he was straight about McGeady he would tell us that the player has been a huge disappointment and the big salary he is earning could be used elsewhere to greater effect.

Of course he can't say that but why say anything at all? People are not stupid. Managers in England with a few quid to spend and an eye on McGeady know that he's available and will take the appropriate steps without Martinez spinning like a top.

But he ploughs on with nicely crafted sentences which read well but mean nothing.

There is another item of circumstantial evidence which makes me believe that Martinez is now swimming against the tide and that his reputation as a top coach has been inflated.

He's had James McCarthy for seven of the lad's nine seasons as a professional footballer and that's a long time; long enough to identify, talk about and work on weaknesses in his game.

I believe that McCarthy has the talent within him to be more than he is and I would see it as Martinez's duty to help him achieve his maximum potential.

The fact that he hasn't implies some element of failure of management and coaching and Martinez prides himself as a coach.

I don't say this to attack McCarthy. Perhaps his personality makes him the player he is and I don't know him well enough to know either way.

But I do know that the small changes in McCarthy's game which could make a huge difference should be easy to explain in a half hour with a few videos and a chat.

That's the job of the coach and Martinez has had seven seasons to work on it without any noticeable change.

Herald Sport

I don't think it would. I'd trust my gut instinct. If it went tits up, I'd re-assess at the right time, admit I was wrong and you'd then have to start again. If it paid off, I'd reap the rewards.

This is my concern though. At what stage do the board think it's now unacceptable. To me we are already well past that stage but they are just so gutless and accepting of mediocrity that I doubt they are close to getting rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back