Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lennon would not have prevented those goals. Our defenders allowed balls to be won in the air.

No mate, Lennon was everywhere and preventing their full backs from getting forward as he gave us pace on the break and was harrying and hassling and pressing them, allowing McCarthy to drop back to be an extra head in the area. There was no need to change it.

Niasse is a forward and couldn't do Lennon's job at all so McCarthy was stepping out and then there was space in the area for their players.

If Martinez gets the plaudits for his first season, then he should also take the blame for our current woes. I think a lot of people have gone easy on him, blaming ref decisions and mistakes by individual players, but ultimately it's on him. How many times have we thrown leads away this season? Doesn't seem we are learning our lessons at all.

Hope he turns it around and becomes a success, and I always have, but the longer this form continues the less I'm believing it will happen.

The first goal came from the right hand side, the second goal came from the left hand side and the winner came from a punt from their left back. If we were not down to 10 men then we would have had an extra player on the pitch. Players need to be able to close down crosses as Barkley should have done today and Mirallas should have done against Villa.

Mirallas getting sent off was a very bad decision on his part. Lukaku missing a penalty cost us a goal.

Lukaku scores (or barkley takes it) and were 3-0 up and cruising. Martinez then the hero for smashing Wham with 10 men.

Mirallas massively to blame today. Niasse let him down as well.....

Zero fault on Martinez part.

You will have to forgive me. Maybe I wasnt clear.

A lot of people didnt take to him when he came. A lot were nervous.
Over that first season he/the team alleviated many fears about his inability to have teams defend.
However most peoples fears began to get slowly realised and now hardly anyone wants him in charge. That one good year doesnt appear to have bought him much time; being well liked would have done, but he never really was.

Most were nervous and apprehensive of him. Many fear's now coming home to roost.

This is absolutely nail on the head for me.

Well, he said the resolve and the players sensed it. But yeh, he should take responsibility by saying the team weren't good enough in the last 15.

How can the players sense something and it affect them to the extent of conceding 90 seconds after the event in question happened??!

What £100m will do is attract a fair few decent managers.

The players we have plus £100 mill will attract top level managers. I think that this is what will finish Martinez at Everton. A month ago we had a squad that was better than our league position but no money and no prospect of attracting top level managers, now we have money to invest in an under performing team, I think that is a very attractive proposition to a manager.

4-3-2

4-4-1

Guess which one has more midfielders in it, and allows for better covering of wide players (on theory, we all know we can't stop a cross for some reason)? Not trying to take the piss, but unsure if you're arguing for the sake of arguing or genuinely not understanding basic counting to 10.

We conceded the third in 4-4-1. When Lennon was in he was playing up top with Rom.

If Martinez gets the plaudits for his first season, then he should also take the blame for our current woes. I think a lot of people have gone easy on him, blaming ref decisions and mistakes by individual players, but ultimately it's on him. How many times have we thrown leads away this season? Doesn't seem we are learning our lessons at all.

Hope he turns it around and becomes a success, and I always have, but the longer this form continues the less I'm believing it will happen.

I think if we would have just lost today then many people would have been gutted but could understand and wouldn't turn against him on mass.

However, he brought the defeat on himself and so he has now put himself and the team under so much more pressure which could well mean he may be gone by season's end. And I have defended him to the hilt and still will do for the things he does well (like the first 75 minutes today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back