Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of the day right we set up to at a certain game against the most in form team in europe.

We set up to be defensively solid in a formation thus was primarily to contain and press and when we had the ball counter attack.

Now due to us still feeling our way back into form it didn't quite work out on the counter attacking side until we brought on lennon think we created quite a few chances when he came on purely because he stretched defenders out of position which opened spaces if we start with the same formation but put in Lennon and mirallas against Chelsea it could work.

At the end of the day I'm not happy with just drawing but I am realistic due to our form and due to Liverpool's and we didn't lose, another point against Chelsea and then picking up a win at Leicester we will find ourselves back in some sort of form

We will be bummed by Chelsea, but a win against Leicester would make us somewhat comfortable until we start finding some confidence again.

End of the day right we set up to at a certain game against the most in form team in europe.

We set up to be defensively solid in a formation thus was primarily to contain and press and when we had the ball counter attack.

Now due to us still feeling our way back into form it didn't quite work out on the counter attacking side until we brought on lennon think we created quite a few chances when he came on purely because he stretched defenders out of position which opened spaces if we start with the same formation but put in Lennon and mirallas against Chelsea it could work.

At the end of the day I'm not happy with just drawing but I am realistic due to our form and due to Liverpool's and we didn't lose, another point against Chelsea and then picking up a win at Leicester we will find ourselves back in some sort of form

A lot of sense mate in your post. But taking a step back you have to say after half an hour "these are shyte so maybe we should press on". I'm a Boberto fan but I think he bottled it tonight and was too scared not to get beat, may a say very Moyes like. Players don't gain confidence from drawing games, wins are what matter and we were awful.

One shot on target in a derby game, absolutely shocking. I really lost faith today. Stupid system (4-3-3) which we haven't played all year. What has happened to the team from last year who went away to the big clubs and attacked?

We are Everton and when we play at Goodison 3 points is what we demand.
We have, we played it earlier in the year at Anfield, for much the same reasons as we were not on a great run of form and wanted to ensure they didn't waltz through our midfield amd attack a defence that is still a touch nervous. It was even more of a risk this time as they were starting with a back 3 so had more players in midfield, if we'd played our usual two we could well have been overrun.

We also played the formation several times last season, including probably our best game at home vs Arsenal.

Even Mourinho doesn't "demand" three points at home every game - if the circumstances call for it he will setup for a snore draw with an attempt to nick it at the end. That is exactly what Martinez tried to do.

We have, we played it earlier in the year at Anfield, for much the same reasons as we were not on a great run of form and wanted to ensure they didn't waltz through our midfield amd attack a defence that is still a touch nervous. It was even more of a risk this time as they were starting with a back 3 so had more players in midfield, if we'd played our usual two we could well have been overrun.

We also played the formation several times last season, including probably our best game at home vs Arsenal.

Even Mourinho doesn't "demand" three points at home every game - if the circumstances call for it he will setup for a snore draw with an attempt to nick it at the end. That is exactly what Martinez tried to do.
Two problems:

1) it worked once. Once. Against arsenal. Had been hugely ineffective every other time.

2) just want to be clear here, you're comparing league leading Chelsea with...us? Mourinho does that because it's instrumental to WINNING THE LEAGUE. So we're reduced to this because of..survival? If that's the case, Martinez should be sacked at the end of the season regardless.

Two problems:

1) it worked once. Once. Against arsenal. Had been hugely ineffective every other time.

2) just want to be clear here, you're comparing league leading Chelsea with...us? Mourinho does that because it's instrumental to WINNING THE LEAGUE. So we're reduced to this because of..survival? If that's the case, Martinez should be sacked at the end of the season regardless.
The 433 it has been used for two different purposes
- once against Arsenal to exploit a specific weakness which was their LB
- twice this season to defend against a weakness of our midfield against Liverpool. We conceeded 1 goal over both games (from a free kick).

I'd say that was a formation being effective at what it is meant to do, especially since last season when we were in much better form we only took 1 point from our two games against them.

Mourinho has been a pragmatist all the time I have watched him. He doesn't care about stats like shots on goal, beautiful football or anything much other than getting the points he feels he needs. If he is in a bad run of form, and he has had that in his career, the first thing he will do is tighten up the defence and get confidence back before embarking on being more attacking. How is that different to what Martinez has done?

The 433 it has been used for two different purposes
- once against Arsenal to exploit a specific weakness which was their LB
- twice this season to defend against a weakness of our midfield against Liverpool. We conceeded 1 goal over both games (from a free kick).

I'd say that was a formation being effective at what it is meant to do, especially since last season when we were in much better form we only took 1 point from our two games against them.

Mourinho has been a pragmatist all the time I have watched him. He doesn't care about stats like shots on goal, beautiful football or anything much other than getting the points he feels he needs. If he is in a bad run of form, and he has had that in his career, the first thing he will do is tighten up the defence and get confidence back before embarking on being more attacking. How is that different to what Martinez has done?
When has a team Mourinho has managed ever been this low? Not being funny, but you cant compare the two. Congratulations at keeping a clean sheet, we're STILL 12th because our managers tactics are fn [Poor language removed] ffs. Literally everything that happened last year is a dream at this point. I go to other forums where they discuss and last year almost everyone was saying how they loved how Everton played. Literally everyone at this point is saying how boring we are. I dont give two flying's if this is unpopular but if THIS is how Martinez wants us to play he can do one. Its beyond boring and we're [Poor language removed] at it. The manager's job is to get the best results from the team he has in front of him, its not the fn opposite.

When has a team Mourinho has managed ever been this low? Not being funny, but you cant compare the two. Congratulations at keeping a clean sheet, we're STILL 12th because our managers tactics are fn [Poor language removed] ffs. Literally everything that happened last year is a dream at this point. I go to other forums where they discuss and last year almost everyone was saying how they loved how Everton played. Literally everyone at this point is saying how boring we are. I dont give two flying's if this is unpopular but if THIS is how Martinez wants us to play he can do one. Its beyond boring and we're [Poor language removed] at it. The manager's job is to get the best results from the team he has in front of him, its not the fn opposite.
Mourinho teams have had bad runs of form, every manager does. And when those runs have happened he has usually built confidence up in the defence as the first stage in fixing the problem. That has quite frequently meant his teams have played "boring" football. Even when on winning runs Mourinho teams have often played boring football.

A few weeks ago you posted this

I think its pretty simple IMO, if he doesnt change his 'system' whatsoever between now and the end of the season i think he should go regardless of if we stay up or not. It clearly doesnt work for this team, when fn PUNDITS call out your system for being generally wank i think you should go. If fn idiots like the lot on Sky know what is wrong and you think they are all wrong, just show yourself the door mate.
He has clearly changed his approach and yet you are still calling for his head.

Mourinho plays 'boring' football most of the time. Difference is his teams have exceptional quality that they can play expansive if they want. We have a manager who relegated another team 2 years ago. Has Mourinho ever had a team where they were relegated? Its not the same at all. We dont press(which worked wonders last year), we have almost literally 0 people in the box, we slow everything down, we play from the back even when under massive pressure, i mean......what am i missing here? I just cannot see how you can think that this is how Everton should play.

I've had my doubts this season, I think we all have, but we need to stick with him, a lot of injuries gone against us this season, we've let one goal in from the last 5 league games now, Jags and Stones are buliding a relationship and starting to lock it down.

The more time we give Martinez the better it will get, in time I mean transfer windows, to build the squad in the style he wants to play.

I'm in it for the long haul, he's a good manager, it just takes a bit more time.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_hcuv2.webp

I've had my doubts this season, I think we all have, but we need to stick with him, a lot of injuries gone against us this season, we've let one goal in from the last 5 league games now, Jags and Stones are buliding a relationship and starting to lock it down.

The more time we give Martinez the better it will get, in time I mean transfer windows, to build the squad in the style he wants to play.

I'm in it for the long haul, he's a good manager, it just takes a bit more time.
He's not going anywhere. Lets all forget that scenario.

He's not changing his 'system' tho. Its still the same football.
He has used a different formation and he has changed to a more counter attacking approach vs possession football.

He can't warp in a completely different team so obviously there are going to be some things the same but not quite sure what you want him to do.

Perhaps I'll understand your complaints better if you describe what you would have done for this game - team, tactics etc , as tbh I am at a loss as to what you are demanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back