Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defensively it's a massive change, Stones and Jags are potentially the best in the league.

That's been our biggest problem this season, defensively.

The next step is Martinez dropping his favorites in Barry and Naismith, and replacing them with Lennon and Barkley.
Can't be too far away from that now I would assume

If Martinez has a weakness it's defensively, he's all about the other part of the game, attacking, keeping the ball in the middle of the park.

But when he's got Jags and Stones firing they will take care of the defensive part of the game for him.

I was nearly jumping on the bandwagon 2 months ago and calling for a change, I'd have been wrong, I'm prepared to ride it out, I think Martinez is capable of great things, I really do.

The more transfer windows, the better it will get.

About a month or so ago not only were we playing so badly that we were dropping down the table like a stone, but it looked like the man in charge was digging and refusing to change anything about his approach.

Perhaps it was the stark reality of what was actually happening hitting home or maybe something else, but for whatever reason he has decided/been forced to get back to basics and make us hard to beat again. That is really the only remedy in a situation where a team has a crisis of confidence and can't get a point on the board.

One casualty of this may have been Barkley as the manager may have decided that in the present predicament he is a bit of a luxury that we cannot afford. It was an unpopular decision to drop him but it was the right one.

His 'philosophy' hasn't changed at all; it's his approach and willingness to adapt that has. That is what good management is all about. No-one is expecting him to change his beliefs on the way the game should be played - he would look foolish if that happened - but that he should adapt his approach depending on the circumstances.

That he has done so gives me more belief that he may be the man to take us forward. Certainly more belief than I had a month ago. Let's get this season over and hope that he learns from it's mistakes. Then next season the question can truly be answered.

A lot of sense mate in your post. But taking a step back you have to say after half an hour "these are shyte so maybe we should press on". I'm a Boberto fan but I think he bottled it tonight and was too scared not to get beat, may a say very Moyes like. Players don't gain confidence from drawing games, wins are what matter and we were awful.

Spot on.

I thought the team line up showed a crap team too much resoect but the penny shoukd have dropped fairly early that they were no bettor than us and were there for the taking.

A bit more belief and we coukd have won the game.

there's definitely been a change in tactics, more long balls up from the back instead of the pointless square passes. but its still not good enough, and I would definitely replace him. thankfully the relegation worries have eased a little so I wait until the summer when hopefully a better alternative becomes available.

there's definitely been a change in tactics, more long balls up from the back instead of the pointless square passes. but its still not good enough, and I would definitely replace him. thankfully the relegation worries have eased a little so I wait until the summer when hopefully a better alternative becomes available.
So which recycled, British, dross Manager would you recommend then just out of interest?

Yesterdays disgraceful display made royles dogs of war seem cavalier by comparison. The most soul destroying 90 mins of anti football imaginable. He doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Get rid asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back