Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real problem I had with him yesterday was bringing Alcaraz on at the death,changing your defensive set up that late in the game can be tantamount to football suicide.

I was sceptical at the time too, but it did give us more of an attacking edge for the last 7 mins or so. The 3 man defence allowed the full backs to get forward (Colemans chance). It was obvious Liverpool were no threat, obvious a bit too late though.

A fully fit, on form midfield 3 of Besic, McCarthy and Barkley could be really good though .

There's that magical word "belief". Something they are severely lacking in and we can include Martinez in that. We were set up not to get beat yesterday, instead of setting up to win. If it's at the pit I can understand it, but at home hmmmm not too sure about that.

Surely you can understand why we set up like that. Given the recent history if Merseyside Derbys, a draw seems like a decent result. Factoring in our current form, a loss would have been incredibly dangerous, and it was that kind if game which we would have had to gambled for a win. All things considered, not worth it.

It was not a good game but a point is better than none but as I said before and DaveK also that the game was winnable. Never mind it is now in the past. I think I will reserve further judgement until after the next 4 games which could be tough, Chelsea, Leicester, Arsenal and Stoke. We will then be in a position to judge more effectively.

I think he will set up identically for Chelsea, and if he can pull off a draw, take the game to other 3. I hope so, anyway.

The end justified the means here. Not something I'm keen for us to repeat regularly or even irregularly though. If you look at the season in context, it wasn't a bad result.
It's all well and good to say 'well the manager has compromised his attacking principles', yet when things have been appalling at the back, no matter how good you are going forward, you can't pick up points and win football matches if you're conceding 2 or 3 goals a game.
Successful sides have a strong defensive foundation. We lost that foundation and our defensive shape. So the manager has taken steps to rectify that, prioritising defensive solidity over attacking intent so that we as a team can get ourselves back on track.
It is hard when the team loses confidence in themselves to turn it back around. But we have begun the process of this by reverting to two basic footballing principles. Working hard when we don't have the ball and keeping it solid at the back. When you have confidence in your ability to keep clean sheets, you can move back to working on the more complicated and intricate stuff going forward.

I'd have loved for us to go guns blazing head to toe with Liverpool. But they are a side in good form at the moment, and it was more pragmatic for us to keep it tight and try take them on the counter instead of risk getting torn apart, which would be detrimental to the confidence we are slowly rebuilding through this little revival we've had built on defensive stability.
To his credit Roberto has adapted his approach, and changed the priority to points over the moral victory of being the best team on the park.
We've regained our defensive shape and structure and have only conceded 1 in the last four league games.
Now the next step is to keep that defensive structure and keep it tight whilst adding to our attacking threat going forward.

We got a point against a team we have an atrocious record against, didn't really give them a sniff, and had the best chance of the game.
Nothing to be ashamed of, and certainly I would have taken it before the start.

End justifies the means.
Great post. Very spot on.

The Palace, Liverpool and Chelsea games - I think most of us felt if we could get 4 points from that lot it'd have been a decent haul. We have that now and the Chelsea game is less pressurised for us in that respect.

Chelsea will win the PL by the looks of it, but they don't look like a team that's going to go on long unbeaten runs this season. We stand a chance there if we can hold them off and stop an early goal. If we get the first goal it could be very interesting.

The Palace, Liverpool and Chelsea games - I think most of us felt if we could get 4 points from that lot it'd have been a decent haul. We have that now and the Chelsea game is less pressurised for us in that respect.

Chelsea will win the PL by the looks of it, but they don't look like a team that's going to go on long unbeaten runs this season. We stand a chance there if we can hold them off and stop an early goal. If we get the first goal it could be very interesting.

Go at them or setup like yesterday and try and nick a goal??

Surely you can understand why we set up like that. Given the recent history if Merseyside Derbys, a draw seems like a decent result. Factoring in our current form, a loss would have been incredibly dangerous, and it was that kind if game which we would have had to gambled for a win. All things considered, not worth it.

Of course I understand why he set up like that. I even mention it mate. He set up to not get beat. Even though I understand it, it doesn't mean I agree with it. A draw was a fair result, but a win was there for the taking if someone wanted it enough.

Excellent management by Martinez yesterday, based on the circumstances. He has shown that he can adapt systems and is able to make courageous decisions. There were a couple of times when he erred on the side of caution, but it was important that we did not lose. I did think that early on it became obvious that Sakho was not happy with the ball at his feet, paricularly when closed down by Naismith and Lukaku together, and this could have been exploited more than it was. People criticising Naismith must not forget that Martinez system needs someone with his energy to harry and press continually, the only other who can do this is the inexperienced Besic. It might not always achieve the first object, but without the Naismith effort we would be very vulnerable. This is why he was kept on yesterday to work through his injury. As I said earlier in the thread, Besic was in danger of getting a second yellow, and bringing on Alcaraz gave us an additional threat in their box from corners and free kicks. Alcaraz has a good attacking header in him. Lennon will prove to be an excellent signing, oldies will know what I mean by saying he is a 'typical Everton winger'. And when will some moaners realise that Mirallas is not and has never been fit enough to play more than 60 minutes? Barkley made one excellent pass, but it was not a difficult pass to spot...apart from that he was still standing off players, frightened to tackle, and currently he is down the pecking order, behind Naismith and Osman when fit. This was supposed to be 'Barkleys breakthrough season'...maybe that will be next season.

Of course I understand why he set up like that. I even mention it mate. He set up to not get beat. Even though I understand it, it doesn't mean I agree with it. A draw was a fair result, but a win was there for the taking if someone wanted it enough.

I just can't but think if we actually went for it and tried to win the game, it would have opened the game up and anything could have happened, which is too dangerous for us to try in such a pivotal match.

I just can't but think if we actually went for it and tried to win the game, it would have opened the game up and anything could have happened, which is too dangerous for us to try in such a pivotal match.

You see it as a glass half full game and I seem it as a glass half empty game. Neither of us are wrong mate, different opinions make it more interesting ;)

How can you moan about us being defensive, far to many times this season we've been far to open and been punished. The teams confidence is starting to grow again and the goals will come. Alright it was a boring game but a 0-0 is better than a 6-3 defeat like we did against Chelsea.

Excellent management by Martinez yesterday, based on the circumstances. He has shown that he can adapt systems and is able to make courageous decisions. There were a couple of times when he erred on the side of caution, but it was important that we did not lose. I did think that early on it became obvious that Sakho was not happy with the ball at his feet, paricularly when closed down by Naismith and Lukaku together, and this could have been exploited more than it was. People criticising Naismith must not forget that Martinez system needs someone with his energy to harry and press continually, the only other who can do this is the inexperienced Besic. It might not always achieve the first object, but without the Naismith effort we would be very vulnerable. This is why he was kept on yesterday to work through his injury. As I said earlier in the thread, Besic was in danger of getting a second yellow, and bringing on Alcaraz gave us an additional threat in their box from corners and free kicks. Alcaraz has a good attacking header in him. Lennon will prove to be an excellent signing, oldies will know what I mean by saying he is a 'typical Everton winger'. And when will some moaners realise that Mirallas is not and has never been fit enough to play more than 60 minutes? Barkley made one excellent pass, but it was not a difficult pass to spot...apart from that he was still standing off players, frightened to tackle, and currently he is down the pecking order, behind Naismith and Osman when fit. This was supposed to be 'Barkleys breakthrough season'...maybe that will be next season.

I agree with 99.9% of that post Steve apart from the end bit about Barkleys pass wasn't difficult to spot. If you mean the one to Coleman your way off the mark there. It was an absolute peach of a pass with beautiful weight to it and not many players would have seen it let alone be able to deliver it. It deserved a goal. Pass of the match!!

Only a few weeks ago RM was being criticised for having no plan B,well it looks like he has,and given out position it looks a sensible plan.

The summer is so big for Martinez, its the biggest summer at the club for years and he needs to ace it, funds permitting of course. A lot of changes needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back