Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think in all this Liverpool get off easily. They had a spell early second half where they played well. The rest was what I expected: a clueless outfit who are where they are in the league because they're not good enough to compete with the rest of the big spenders.

For a twenty minute period in the second half yesterday I was just sat there counting down the minutes, wishing the game would end right there and then as I thought they were going to over run us.

But watching the game on TV after I came home last night, I saw the reality if it......they offered very little in the way of threat.

They huffed, they puffed, they blew themselves out.

They hit the woodwork once but all those "shots on target" they had were dealt with very comfortably by Joel.

It was a turgid game but in a funny kind if way I am glad to see a game like that because it is a further sign that Roberto is trying to fuse the Everton "philosophy" with his own.

A one trick pony no longer.

Lennon showed enough to suggest he will bring quite a lot to the party.

Four hard earned points from two tough games in which the doomsayers had us drawing a blank.

Ship looks to be righting itself to this observer.

Comical the way you think this is gonna happen overnight, is your good mate Bill gonna fund this massive overhaul?

It wont happen overnight....as said, it should have started last summer but Martinez lost his nerve and kept faith with the arl arses, and look where it's got him.

He'll need another two or three transfer windows to get Moyes' liabilities out the door and his own players in.

It wont happen overnight....as said, it should have started last summer but Martinez lost his nerve and kept faith with the arl arses, and look where it's got him.

He'll need another two or three transfer windows to get Moyes' liabilities out the door and his own players in.

Or this summer to get rid of the real 5th columners.

i.e. Distin.

this basically. alcaraz and distin will both be gone on frees you would imagine, we'll lose lennon and atsu. that's already 4 players down without receiving a penny. mirallas will possibly be sold but he won't gather a massive fee, it would take nearly the same amount to replace him. howard won't collect much either where i hope to god we sell him.

so we need a keeper, two centre backs (possibly one if he thinks galloway and browning can step up to share the burden of 4th and 5th choices) a backup right back still (could be done with a loan if they believe kenny is a very bright prospect), a top winger for the other wing, as well as a backup. another if we sell mcgeady. we need an actual central attacking mid who can pick a pass and definitely need another striker.

that's a whole lot of rebuilding, basically if united come along with a £25m+ bid for coleman, selling him may be the best route to strengthening.

We'll probably end up signing lennon if he does OK. Maybe Del Boy might return. It's going to be another bumper year for TV money so maybe we'll have 10-15m for a single player and a bit left over for another. Alcaraz and Atsu leaving will not even make a dent

For a twenty minute period in the second half yesterday I was just sat there counting down the minutes, wishing the game would end right there and then as I thought they were going to over run us.

But watching the game on TV after I came home last night, I saw the reality if it......they offered very little in the way of threat.

They hit the woodwork once but all those "shots on target" they had were dealt with very comfortably by Joel.

It was a turgid game but in a funny kind if way I am glad to see a game like that because it is a further sign that Roberto is trying to fuse the Everton "philosophy" with his own.

Four hard earned points from two tough games in which the doomsayers had us drawing a blank.

Spot on that, mate. Five weeks ago that would have been a nightmare fixture. Martinez and the team are performing with a bit more fortitude now though and slowly but surely we're coming out of intensive care and stabilising again. If we had our passing boots on there yesterday it could have been more than a hard earned draw. Four points from the last two is acceptable.....I reckon we'll get close on 50 points by the end of the season. Not good enough, obviously, but a lot better than we feared at one stage.

Or this summer to get rid of the real 5th columners.

i.e. Distin.
first out the door, him.

...and unless that Garbutt has got down on his hands and knees asking for forgiveness Martinez can bin him too...although Liverpool are in for him "of course" so he won't have any shortage of suitors.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

How can you moan about us being defensive, far to many times this season we've been far to open and been punished. The teams confidence is starting to grow again and the goals will come. Alright it was a boring game but a 0-0 is better than a 6-3 defeat like we did against Chelsea.
I'm probably alone in this but I was glad we went for it in the Chelsea match.

We could have just settled for the 1-2 loss at half time or the 2-3 after about 70mins and kept it "respectable" but we instead tried to at least get a draw which opened us up to conceeding more. Since we were at the start of the season and high in confidence felt it was the right thing to do. Different circumstances now, both in our table position and team confidence.

Given they had played a fairly tough midweek match guess the plan was for us to just soak up their pressure for the bulk of the match and then as they tired move to a more attacking formation in the last few minutes to try and get a late winner.

Almost worked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back