Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same plan as yesterday but better passing can get us a point.

I'd want us to offer more in an attacking sense against Chelsea though. Start Lennon Barkley Mirallas Lukaku and hopefully play with some freedom. Actually looking forward to it, we'll step up for this one.

The summer is so big for Martinez, its the biggest summer at the club for years and he needs to ace it, funds permitting of course. A lot of changes needed.
Defo this.

There has to be a clear out of players who can't play with precision and pace.

Martinez needs to build his team with his players next season...a process he should have started out on last summer.

I think we should set up pretty much the same against Chelsea as we did The RS, focus on being hard to beat. We are still only 7 points above the drop zone. We have a terrible record in London and with 2 trips there in 3 games we need to not lose.

Fans a fickle RM had to dig points out Palace away a derby at home who would have took 4 points in a run of struggling form??? I most certainly would it was DM type football, but two clean sheets! Not pretty, but effective points wise!

Decent point yesterday. We set up to pack the midfield, not let them get into any rhythm and try and hit them on the break.mafter last years 4-0 and the way this season has gone so far, I don't think tactically we could have set up any other way and it has resulted in us taking more points off them this season than we did last.

Unfortunately we didn't offer enough going forward until near the end and I think those calling for barkley to come on sooner, he showed both sides of his game: that boss pass to Coleman and the failure to trap a simple pass and giving it away dangerously in midfield. When confidence is so fragile, we don't need that kind of pressure but if we continue to get points on the board we can afford to express ourselves a bit more.

Our run of not conceding goals has coincided with Stones' return to the defence, itl be interesting to see if McCarthy's return to midfield brings about getting the ball back to front quicker so we can start playing a bit more like we did last season again.

Defo this.

There has to be a clear out of players who can't play with precision and pace.

Martinez needs to build his team with his players next season...a process he should have started out on last summer.

Comical the way you think this is gonna happen overnight, is your good mate Bill gonna fund this massive overhaul?

Surely you can understand why we set up like that. Given the recent history if Merseyside Derbys, a draw seems like a decent result. Factoring in our current form, a loss would have been incredibly dangerous, and it was that kind if game which we would have had to gambled for a win. All things considered, not worth it.

Alright Moysie

Excellent management by Martinez yesterday, based on the circumstances. He has shown that he can adapt systems and is able to make courageous decisions. There were a couple of times when he erred on the side of caution, but it was important that we did not lose. I did think that early on it became obvious that Sakho was not happy with the ball at his feet, paricularly when closed down by Naismith and Lukaku together, and this could have been exploited more than it was. People criticising Naismith must not forget that Martinez system needs someone with his energy to harry and press continually, the only other who can do this is the inexperienced Besic. It might not always achieve the first object, but without the Naismith effort we would be very vulnerable. This is why he was kept on yesterday to work through his injury. As I said earlier in the thread, Besic was in danger of getting a second yellow, and bringing on Alcaraz gave us an additional threat in their box from corners and free kicks. Alcaraz has a good attacking header in him. Lennon will prove to be an excellent signing, oldies will know what I mean by saying he is a 'typical Everton winger'. And when will some moaners realise that Mirallas is not and has never been fit enough to play more than 60 minutes? Barkley made one excellent pass, but it was not a difficult pass to spot...apart from that he was still standing off players, frightened to tackle, and currently he is down the pecking order, behind Naismith and Osman when fit. This was supposed to be 'Barkleys breakthrough season'...maybe that will be next season.

Excellent management, a draw at home to no marks, get real

I thought he got it just about right yesterday. As others have said, we are slowly moving in the right direction and the confidence is starting to build but its still very fragile. Liverpool are currently top of the form guide. If we had gone for it yesterday and been picked off on the counter attack, it would have been like a morgue on here today. We are currently showing qualities that looked alien to us over Christmas.

However, I don't think we can flood the midfield and sit back against Chelsea. Unlike Liverpool, Chelsea have the players who can unlock a defence that sits back. If we play 3 defensive midfielders on Wednesday, Chelsea will find a way of scoring. As far as I'm concerned, we have nothing to lose, no one expects us to get anything on Wednesday. We need to offer more going forward and present Chelsea with a real attacking threat. If we are capable of hurting Chelsea, it might tame them going forward. As such, I would drop Naismith and Barry and bring in Barkley and Lennon. That would allow us to counter attack with real intent.

I just can't but think if we actually went for it and tried to win the game, it would have opened the game up and anything could have happened, which is too dangerous for us to try in such a pivotal match.

didn't think it was pivotal at all tbh. if we won we will finish between 9th and 13th, if he lost we will finish between 9th and 13th.

Comical the way you think this is gonna happen overnight, is your good mate Bill gonna fund this massive overhaul?

this basically. alcaraz and distin will both be gone on frees you would imagine, we'll lose lennon and atsu. that's already 4 players down without receiving a penny. mirallas will possibly be sold but he won't gather a massive fee, it would take nearly the same amount to replace him. howard won't collect much either where i hope to god we sell him.

so we need a keeper, two centre backs (possibly one if he thinks galloway and browning can step up to share the burden of 4th and 5th choices) a backup right back still (could be done with a loan if they believe kenny is a very bright prospect), a top winger for the other wing, as well as a backup. another if we sell mcgeady. we need an actual central attacking mid who can pick a pass and definitely need another striker.

that's a whole lot of rebuilding, basically if united come along with a £25m+ bid for coleman, selling him may be the best route to strengthening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back