Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but how west brom burnley did isn't and never will mean anything to us.

We aren't in a relegation fight and we never have been.

It was just that we didn't seem to be in the fight for fourth, and some people just like to feel they're in some sort of fight. We're not in any kind of fight at all..we're in the slight disagreement for middle of the table.

Reflects worse on the players. I don't think I've heard it better put than that mate and it's absolutely spot on. Let's look at the form of them this season

Howard : way under what is expected. His injury has been a blessing in disguise
Coleman : no where near the standard of last season
Jagielka : awful form and only the last few games has he looked like anywhere near the player of last season
Distin : awful season from him
Alcaraz : Poor when being called upon
Stones : excellent form but missed a large part through injury
Baines : consistent
Barry : awful for the most part, played when injured. Needs to be managed better
McCarthy : injured for huge chunk of season
Mirallas : finds form, gets injured, takes 5 games to find form. Wash rinse and repeat
Pienaar : useless due to injury
McGeady : consistently inconsistent
Barkley : out of form
Naismith : consistent though his form hasn't been great either past few games
Lukaku : has struggled all season. Has 2 good games followed by 3 average ones.
Osman : injured
Gibson : injured
Hibbert : injured
Oviedo : finding his feet after bad injury
Kone : finding his feet after bad injury

Positives of this season so far

Joel : growing in confidence with every game
Stones : has settled the defence down and Jags looks all the better for it
Besic : putting in some solid displays

Sorry for the long post but what the above tells me is the players have been absolutely garbage. It's easy to cope when one or 2 players are out of form. But we've had games where 8-9 of them have been an absolute shambles and there's not much Bobby can do when they are out on the pitch.

Martinez isn't blameless in all of this either, he's got a lot of graft to put in come the summer. A really good crack at the EL and this season won't be such a write off but as things stand today, it's been a [Poor language removed] shambles from start to finish and there's only about 3 or 4 players who can hold there hand up and say they've done what is asked of them.

Summary: a bad/non-existent pre-season arranged by the gaffer.

The resultant problems with fitness and re-occurring injuries is surely no coincidence.

It is February and we are still running out of steam before the end of games which is really not on.

Summary: a bad/non-existent pre-season arranged by the gaffer.

The resultant problems with fitness and re-occurring injuries is surely no coincidence.

It is February and we are still running out of steam before the end of games which is really not on.

Agreed Mr Woodward. I've stated it many times regarding the sham of a pre season and it really has affected us and is still currently affecting us. He was too soft on the world cup lads giving them far too much time off and we've paid the price. Hopefully that's one harsh lesson he has learned from a personal point of view. But just as the manager is not blameless neither are the players hence my original post.

It was just that we didn't seem to be in the fight for fourth, and some people just like to feel they're in some sort of fight. We're not in any kind of fight at all..we're in the slight disagreement for middle of the table.
We aren't even in the fight for the 7th place trophy.

To be fair, you can't lump everyone who questioned Martinez into the same category. Anyone shouting for him to be sacked after a few bad results was overreacting. However, a lot of people, myself included, were just asking for him to show a bit of pragmatism and get back to basics.

There is still a lot of work to be done but I think in the last 5 games he's showed that he can deal with a downturn, shore up the defence and get the team fighting if he needs to, which is reassuring to know. We all knew last season he could get us playing nice stuff, but we weren't sure if he could take us into battle when things weren't going so well - it took him a little while to show it.
This season has been and continues to be a learning experience for everyone including us. We'll be stronger for it.

We need to embrace the idea that we’re a top club and a big football club. Slowly we’re working hard to develop a big club mentality within the squad and that’s where the excitement lies."

Shocking really how we're still stuck on a small club mentality. Both fans and players

There is no difference towards how he approached the derby here than the one at the beginning of the season tbh
The memory of that humping at mordor I think scares the [Poor language removed] out of him

The memory of that humping at mordor I think scares the [Poor language removed] out of him

He's definitely resorted to 'Moyes' tactics against Liverpool. It's a shame when you consider how expansive we were in the Goodison derby last year.

His record against the big teams away from him home is starting to look pretty poor too considering how much optimism we had that corner had been turned when he first arrived.

We are having a terrible season- both the players and manager know nothing good will come of this and once we get 40 points don't expect any wins in the BPL and no effort at all. We will all see our Everton return in the Europa League and play brilliant football again- only to not try again in the BPL. We will try against United, Chelsea, and Arsenal as we consider them rivals- other games will be gutless. But the EL will be the highlight of our season.

Once next season starts- we need preseasons against teams like Valencia, Sevilla, Schalke, Roma, etc- to prepare us for the grind of the PL. But next season we'll have a first start and we will be back- can't wait for it.

It's a shame man

I'm just disappointed so many have resigned themselves to that. A win would have been massive. You saw the momentum that lot got off that game at the pit that carried them on to the end of the season (well, almost lol). These players haven't forgotten how to play football and I don't think that Liverpool are a good enough side to have taken the approach we did.

I mean, if we did lose, so what? We're not getting 4th. We're not getting relegated. A draw is no better than a loss really if we think we can still save some face in the league. There is no reason we shouldn't have went for it.

I can't be happy about Martinez addressing some problems (which seemed to coincide with the return of Stones anyway) when we're not playing winning football. Any team can shore up their defence by playing super defensive. But Martinez way of winning games is to play attacking football and just because there were some flaws with the way we were playing doesn't mean he has to rip up the system that thrilled us last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back