Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
we were scoring goals for fun at the start of the season, but also shipping a whole lot, mainly due to howard, jagielka and distin partnership and barry. We get rid of howard and distin and we start keeping clean sheets. barry's out for the next 2/3 games and jagielka is much more assured with stones there. basically, drop howard, get robles back in and with besic in that DM position where he's been so impressive internationally, the defence is starting to look more of it's old self.

therefore go back to the style of early season and we start winning games again? not going to happen. howard will keep his place, gibson will come in, besic will be benched and then 2 games later barry will be back.

....then stones will get injured.

I think Martinez' brand of football is far more negative than Moyes', he put four different defensive midfielders on the pitch today. It's dire football that is taking us nowhere imo.

I mean everyone worrying about relegation can relax, it was never going to happen and we're proving that. Shows once for all there was never any reason to change manager mid season , it shouldn't and wasn't ever an option.

But still Bobby was meant to be different, he was meant to go for it away to the top teams and at home in derbies and this dire defensive stuff is just saddening to me.

I was really hoping our form would click back on without having to change our style like this. I want bobby to be the stubborn only playd one way everyuone accuses him of being. Because if this pseudo moyes stuff is around long term it would just make me so sad.

we were scoring goals for fun at the start of the season, but also shipping a whole lot, mainly due to howard, jagielka and distin partnership and barry. We get rid of howard and distin and we start keeping clean sheets. barry's out for the next 2/3 games and jagielka is much more assured with stones there. basically, drop howard, get robles back in and with besic in that DM position where he's been so impressive internationally, the defence is starting to look more of it's old self.

therefore go back to the style of early season and we start winning games again? not going to happen. howard will keep his place, gibson will come in, besic will be benched and then 2 games later barry will be back.

....then stones will get injured.

We're just too easy to play against. The poor teams sit back and know that a solid defensive shift will see them get a point and the better teams pin us back until the pressure finally tells.

Best chance we have of picking up points right now are against the teams who aren't dreadful away from home. They'll at least look to venture forward leaving a few gaps for us to exploit at the back.

Two goals conceded in the last five PL games.

Excellent turnaround.

Just need to get the goals flying in again now.

You know Dave as well as I do that if we play as shyte as we have been then that really should be no goals conceded because we are that defensive minded. We've been [Poor language removed] awful to watch. Tonight was more understandable than the Derby but we were crap again tonight except for 2 nice spells and then we went back into our shell.

We ain't getting relegated but it's been an absolute shambles this season and bringing Howard back shows a complete lack of balls on his part. Him being injured was the perfect time to phase him.right out of the equation.

I'm simply just not arsed atm. Tonight was like watching a Moyes side but with players who are infinitely better than that yet didn't have a [Poor language removed] clue.

He won't lose his job because we won't get relegated but the current situation of 2 wins in 15 is unacceptable and I reckon it's only a matter of time. Only the EL will be his saving grace because his tactics, subs, setting up, pre and post match interviews has become unacceptable and I've been a big bloody supporter of him.

I don't think he's got the stomach or backbone for this as it stands and he certainly wasn't expecting this reversal from last seasons form. He needs to be pro active but he's almost reverted to Moyes style football 8 years ago.

Rant over.

I think Martinez' brand of football is far more negative than Moyes', he put four different defensive midfielders on the pitch today. It's dire football that is taking us nowhere imo.

Martinez over the last 5 years is playing moyes style defensive football. For the rest of his entire careeer he hasn't.

Judging his style on the last game isn't exactly representive.

I mean everyone worrying about relegation can relax, it was never going to happen and we're proving that. Shows once for all there was never any reason to change manager mid season , it shouldn't and wasn't ever an option.

But still Bobby was meant to be different, he was meant to go for it away to the top teams and at home in derbies and this dire defensive stuff is just saddening to me.

I was really hoping our form would click back on without having to change our style like this. I want bobby to be the stubborn only playd one way everyuone accuses him of being. Because if this pseudo moyes stuff is around long term it would just make me so sad.

Despite times call for Desperate measures?

If he keeps it up for the remainder of the season it'll be worrying but it's dragged us out of what looked like a inescapable pit

Everton have won just 27 points in 25 Premier League games this season - 18 points fewer than they had at this stage last season in Roberto Martinez's first campaign as manager at the club.

Everton have won one of their last nine Premier League games (W1 D3 L5).

My mate (Wigan fan) isn't surprised. The media would wax lyrical about their brand of football for that run they'd inevitably go on late in the season but some of the stuff they served up was dire. Having a little bit more of the ball means absolutely nothing in the excitement stakes if you play with no intensity which is what we've saw this year.

As for playing against the big teams, he's obviously gone with the thought that sneaking a point here and there against the top sides is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back