Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's still young and learning like, some need to remember that, we can use the excuse for players like lukaku and rightly do the same for martinez. i wasn't sure if he would be happy to neglect his playing style, but rom has looked more dangerous lately and the players are getting a bit more confidence. we were cracking going forward at the start of the season, think we scored at least 2 in our first 5 or 6 games, let's hope that returns sooner rather than later.

Yep.

Look at it as a whole. 1st season, bedded in and did a stunning job. Breath of fresh air. Could do no wrong minus a few blood rushing to the head moments. Players either playing for contracts and coming into form, wanting to prove themselves all around him - Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy, Coleman, Delofeau, Naismith, Stones...

2nd season. Kept the same squad. Good. More challenges, more competitions to play in. Things were waiting to click. It didn't happen.

Heavy defeats - Chelsea hurt us mentally.
Ageing players - A season too many for Osman, Distin, Pienaar, Barry.
Poor World Cups - Baines and Jagielka the crux of England crashing out. Lukaku and Mirallas mediocre.
Disruptive new signings - Eto'o.
Younger players hit with injury and form - Stones, Barkley, McCarthy, Lukaku.

Add twice the amount of games to play - it builds. Then you've got poor officiating in an important period that hurt us mentally and turned draws into wins, loses into draws. It all adds up.

Martinez is practically rebuilding again. The spine of the team is young and needs time. He's already fixing the defence problem. Once that is second nature, he'll fix the attack problem.

Just need to keep with it.

The teams above us haven't had anywhere near our problems going on from last season. Minus the RS.

Yep.

Look at it as a whole. 1st season, bedded in and did a stunning job. Breath of fresh air. Could do no wrong minus a few blood rushing to the head moments. Players either playing for contracts and coming into form, wanting to prove themselves all around him - Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy, Coleman, Delofeau, Naismith, Stones...

2nd season. Kept the same squad. Good. More challenges, more competitions to play in. Things were waiting to click. It didn't happen.

Poor World Cups - Baines and Jagielka the crux of England crashing out. Lukaku and Mirallas mediocre.

Add twice the amount of games to play - it builds. Then you've got poor officiating in an important period that hurt us mentally and turned draws into wins, loses into draws. It all adds up.

Martinez is practically rebuilding again. The spine of the team is young and needs time. He's already fixing the defence problem. Once that is second nature, he'll fix the attack problem.

The teams above us haven't had anywhere near our problems going on from last season. Minus the RS.

i've got no worries to be honest. we have a lot of very very good young players not only in our squad, but all the way down the youth setup it seems. we have a manager who's nowhere near as scared as moyes to put his trust in them, he's also a forward thinker who's looking well into the future so he's leaving us with a good future whenever he's gone.

we do have a big rebuilding job, but i'm looking forward to it. just woeful luck with injuries and players who hopefully won't be in our starting XI next season who have let the club down game after game (he should be dropping them like). we peaked in the wrong season, if we played last season this season we would probably finish 3rd comfortably at the end. but next season without europe when the rest of the top 7 will have it could be a blessing in disguise, especically if we do business as good as this summer's.

i've got no worries to be honest. we have a lot of very very good young players not only in our squad, but all the way down the youth setup it seems. we have a manager who's nowhere near as scared as moyes to put his trust in them, he's also a forward thinker who's looking well into the future so he's leaving us with a good future whenever he's gone.

we do have a big rebuilding job, but i'm looking forward to it. just woeful luck with injuries and players who hopefully won't be in our starting XI next season who have let the club down game after game (he should be dropping them like). we peaked in the wrong season, if we played last season this season we would probably finish 3rd comfortably at the end. but next season without europe when the rest of the top 7 will have it could be a blessing in disguise, especically if we do business as good as this summer's.

We found out the hard way that last season was a lot of players swan songs - Osman, Pienaar, Hibbert, Barry, Distin.

And you're right. I will bet you that whoever finishes 4th this season will get less points tally than we did last season.

Yep.

So much wrong with this post. I'll just take one: 'add twice the amount of games to play'. Untrue. Our EL games have been compensated for by late entry and first round exit in the LC and another first round exit in the FA Cup.

We found out the hard way that last season was a lot of players swan songs - Osman, Pienaar, Hibbert, Barry, Distin.

And you're right. I will bet you that whoever finishes 4th this season will get less points tally than we did last season.

united are fecking terrible, fair play. especially based on the money they've spent. people say it's the winning mentality engrained into the club, but what's different from last season? they're playing no better than what they were under moyes. the main answer is the competition being so so poor as well though. they don't even have that many more points. even city have been pretty abysmal and will finish 2nd by a way.

'Every other manager would be sacked for it'.

Leicester, Burnley, QPR (Redknapp resigned through ill health), Hull and Sunderland are all below us and none of them have sacked their manager.

Villa have been terrible for 4 and 1/2 years and have only scored 12 goals all season. That's why their manager has been sacked.

People really need to stop exaggerating stuff.

We're having a bad season by our recent standards, but the past 6 weeks have shown signs of improvement.
Leicester -- the manager WAS sacked. How he was reinstated has yet to come out.
Burnley, Hull and Sunderland have each won at least 3 games in their last 16 compared to our 2.
QPR - do you really believe that Hawwy wasn't sacked? He jumped before he was pushed.

Palace and WBA did sack their managers and have not looked back since doing so. They're the lessons I'd rather take from the last few weeks.

I know you can't just blame injuries, but Jesus Christ. Every one of our starting eleven has been injured this season.

I honestly think that any manager would struggle with that.

yes but is that because the League is more even this year due to the TV money allowing teams to get better players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back