Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who was the number to to West?
Andy Rankin kept Westy out at times as I remember Westy dis suffer with tHigh trouble - I remember the save Rankin achieve v B M in the European cup to puT us through he had a fair run of games I seem to remember - H C dropped Captain Labby for George Heslop - In HC autobiography he heard his star winger bragging, and deliberately dropped him as a warning no one was bigger than EFC!

Geoff Barnett was also on the scene with Westy and Andy Rankin I remember when I was a kid ?

1969-70a.webp

Andy Rankin kept Westy out at times as I remember Westy dis suffer with tHigh trouble - I remember the save Rankin achieve v B M in the European cup to puT us through he had a fair run of games I seem to remember - H C dropped Captain Labby for George Heslop - In HC autobiography he heard his star winger bragging, and deliberately dropped him as a warning no one was bigger than EFC!

Rankin made less than 100 apperances in almost 10 years at the club, West on the other hand is one of our top apperance makers with something like 400+ for the club during the same time. It's clear who was the number one and who was the understudy covering for a player who's injured or suspended, just like Robles has for Howard during the last 8/9 games.

There's always a clear number 1, always has been always will be.

Rankin made less than 100 apperances in almost 10 years at the club, West on the other hand is one of our top apperance makers with something like 400+ for the club during the same time. It's clear who was the number one and who was the understudy covering for a player who's injured or suspended, just like Robles has for Howard during the last 8/9 games.

There's always a clear number 1, always has been always will be.
That does not prove West was ever dropped, I know one thing H C as a manager played any youngster on merit not on name as I highlighted above - Captain Alex Parker was dropped for Tommy Wright then sold - reputations meant nothing then!

Everton played well last night, chelsea are the best in the league with possibly the best manager too. Mourinho's side have what the likes of city and united dont - a dirty streak. Every foul was a yellow card, because chelsea players said so. I would love for us to be more aggressive in the same manner because this Mr Nice Guy Everton approach does not swing in our favour, mccarthy and Naismith are the only two i know of that got at chelsea's players in this way (especially leading upto the goal). I would give my left bollock to see duncan ferguson or Tim Cahill play last night, Ivanovic would still be asleep now.

Martinez had the chance to take barry off (should not of played the last 6 games anyway) and drop barkley in the midfield and play Mirallas, the catalan clown doesnt understand that you can change a formation to adapt to the game. I cannot wait to see him sacked before anybody else joins Mirallas, Eto'o, maybe garbutt, distin and mccarthy in seeing the man for the fraud that he is.

Cue the Martinez fanboy brigade.
What did Mirallas do in his 15 minutes against Chelsea that makes you think bringing him on earlier would have made a big difference? Kev was better than he was against Liverpool, not so much bad as meh, but it was hardly up to his superb West Ham Fa cup sub performance. Barkley looked like he still lacks confidence and apart from QPR he hasn't been putting in a lot of tackles this season.

So overall not sure we would have improved our attack much and would probably have weakened our defence.

What did Mirallas do in his 15 minutes against Chelsea that makes you think bringing him on earlier would have made a big difference? Kev was better than he was against Liverpool, not so much bad as meh, but it was hardly up to his superb West Ham Fa cup sub performance. Barkley looked like he still lacks confidence and apart from QPR he hasn't been putting in a lot of tackles this season.

So overall not sure we would have improved our attack much and would probably have weakened our defence.

I often wonder whether Ross Barkley has a thing about tackling after that horrible double leg fracture he got in one.

I often wonder whether Ross Barkley has a thing about tackling after that horrible double leg fracture he got in one.
Would be understandable if he did but a midfielder that doesn't put tackles in isn't much use to most teams.

But we've seen him do it in the recent past so think he is just lacking confidence tbh, nervous of doing much that isn't safe in case he messes it up.

Some people seem to think that our attacking threat has been nullified as a consequence of our defence improving, but our attack has been absolutely woeful for a long time now, long before the defence sorted itself out. Our attacking play has been woeful for months now, and it isn't a consequence of having a good defence, it's just a symptom of Martinez' woeful management.

Robles is a better keeper than Howard, imo. Howard's kicking and distribution is pish poor, and it will cost us more goals if we continue with him.

Martinez is going to take us back to bottom half finishes, with football that is far more negative than anything Moyes put forward. He will be afforded a couple more years in his project of regression, all because he complimented the club with a few chat up lines that made the fans blush when he first came here.

The football is appalling, and it's down to the manager.

Spot on that mate, I'm still perplexed as to why there still isn't any understanding between are attacking players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back