Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester -- the manager WAS sacked. How he was reinstated has yet to come out.
Burnley, Hull and Sunderland have each won at least 3 games in their last 16 compared to our 2.
QPR - do you really believe that Hawwy wasn't sacked? He jumped before he was pushed.

Palace and WBA did sack their managers and have not looked back since doing so. They're the lessons I'd rather take from the last few weeks.

what about the teams last season who got relegated after sacking their managers? all the teams near the bottom sack their managers, there's bound to be teams that have sacked a manager and stayed up

When is that? Early 70s?

No, I would say that is the pre season photo call circa August '68 or more likely '69.

If it had have been a year later the League title trophy and Charity Shield would have been in there.

And if it was 1971 a lot of those players would have already moved on.

No, I would say that is the pre season photo call circa August '68 or more likely '69.

If it had have been a year later the League title trophy and Charity Shield would have been in there.

And if it was 1971 a lot of those players would have already moved on.
C'mon man, get it right...

An attempt at naming them:

Back row.....Barnett, West, Rankin

Middle row.....I can't remember the wee trainer's name, Hurdt, Royle, Labone, Kenyon, Brown, Kendall, Harry.

Front row....Whittle, Morrisey, Newton, Husband, Jackson, Wright, Ball, Harvey

Three of those lads went on to manage the club.

When you geto my age the immortal words of Johnny Logan ring true......What's Another Year...:cheers:
Having seen so many great Everton teams, I can only wonder how you must be feeling about life as an Everton supporter under this gun...

kenwright_av512.jpg

People are happy for the 40pt mark because they believe that means we wont be relegated. Pretty simple

Yeah, you're right, it is a pretty simple attitude. short sighted and embracing possible perpetual mediocrity as well.

I stand by my point... No Europa win; and if, by the end of Sept, we are still doing on average,1Pt. per game, then it's all over for Roberto.

Having seen so many great Everton teams, I can only wonder how you must be feeling about life as an Everton supporter under this gun...

kenwright_av512.jpg

Bill?

I don't mind Bill.

Bill used to travel up with the ESCLA boys when I lived in that London back in the 20th.

Paid my taxi fare to Bramall Lane one day when we came out the station :)

Bill?

I don't mind Bill.

Bill used to travel up with the ESCLA boys when I lived in that London back in the 20th.

I like him. Feel he has stayed too long. The Kirkby affair was just a shame on him.
My point though...damn hard watching how football has become..and Everton's place in it

Rankin made less than 100 apperances in almost 10 years at the club, West on the other hand is one of our top apperance makers with something like 400+ for the club during the same time. It's clear who was the number one and who was the understudy covering for a player who's injured or suspended, just like Robles has for Howard during the last 8/9 games.

There's always a clear number 1, always has been always will be.

West seemed (along with others ) to suffer form slumps after winning the League in 63 and 70 and was I think dropped and replaced by Rankin more times than he was replaced due to injury.
I also seem to remember Westy having a terrible form / confidence slump early in the 70-71 season, he was like Dai Davies on his worst day at the time. Especially at the ( 1st) Home game Vs Keflavik, the players were not happy with him and nor were the crowd, he had a bit of a go at them as well, it all fed on it's self in a downward spiral... result Harry dropped him

Short Version; Harry was never slow to drop a goalie who was playing poorly... 'big name' or 'first choice' made no difference. Stay in good form and don't get injured and you played...whoever you were.
Robles had done enough, IMO, to have got Harry's vote

google; 'andy rankin season by season' for the full picture.

Bill?

I don't mind Bill.

Is right...as far as it goes, he does the Hillsborough / Dave Hickson stuff well enough to be 'President ' or some such. But as we know hasn't got enough 000's on his bank balance.

I just can't bring myself to forgive him for the KD & DK fiascos.

For me, his epitaph will be of the; yeah, but no, but yeah, but... / close, but no cigar, damned with faint praise type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back