Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
West seemed (along with others ) to suffer form slumps after winning the League in 63 and 70 and was I think dropped and replaced by Rankin more times than he was replaced due to injury.
I also seem to remember Westy having a terrible form / confidence slump early in the 70-71 season, he was like Dai Davies on his worst day at the time. Especially at the ( 1st) Home game Vs Keflavik, the players were not happy with him and nor were the crowd, he had a bit of a go at them as well, it all fed on it's self in a downward spiral... result Harry dropped him

Short Version; Harry was never slow to drop a goalie who was playing poorly... 'big name' or 'first choice' made no difference. Stay in good form and don't get injured and you played...whoever you were.
Robles had done enough, IMO, to have got Harry's vote

google; 'andy rankin season by season' for the full picture.

Harry wouldn't have waited for Howard to get injured.

He would have dropped him after the Crystal Pakace home game.

Did Geoff ever get a first team game?

It says he played ten times in the two and a half years he was here. Id forgotten he'd played for Arsenal in the 72 Cup Final. It seems hes now doing what the old ex pros often used to do years ago....running a pub (in Holmes Chapel) the last couple of years. The disparity in what they make out of the game now is unbelievable isn't it...journeyman players like him earn a bloody fortune now - regardless of, as in his time, appearance fees/wins.

Yes Kithnou.
I was very young then, but I remember that team and that photo in particular.
There were no mobile phones then, no internet, no SKY.
there wasn't 24hour access to information about club or players.
A transfer involved a bidding war between two or more clubs .
It was just so different then.

I have seen a lot of Everton players, teams and managers since then. I have seen a lot of mediocre teams and a few good ones.
I read of people quoting our motto and wonder if they know their history at all.
I have seen how long it can take to build a team without untold wealth and I know that a manager like RM needs to be given time.
David Moyes did a great job in rebuilding the club slowly from a time when it was on it's knees and RM needs to be given time as David
Moyes was, of course there is no guarantee of the same outcome.

As much as I love Goodison I believe we have to move if we are to compete. I would love new billionaire owners, but I have seen nothing to convince me that they are out there looking at us , I believe we would have a chance of that happening with a new stadium.

I don't love Bill Kenwright, but I do believe the club has steadied under his guidance . I do believe he is an Evertonian. I do believe he wants the best for the club.
I think football and all football clubs are at a precarious place in football just now. The money coming into the game from television is getting to ridiculous levels and there are going to be a lot looking to get their hands on the kind of money that premiership clubs can earn. I think a lot of these new investors are going to be bad news . More than ever now contrary to the opinon of many I would be ultra cautious in the person that I would allow get their hands on the reins at Everton FC.

It says he played ten times in the two and a half years he was here. Id forgotten he'd played for Arsenal in the 72 Cup Final. It seems hes now doing what the old ex pros often used to do years ago....running a pub (in Holmes Chapel) the last couple of years. The disparity in what they make out of the game now is unbelievable isn't it...journeyman players like him earn a bloody fortune now - regardless of, as in his time, appearance fees/wins.

That's right.....I had forgotten he went on to Arsenal and played alongside Bally in the Cup Final of '72.

They lost 1-0 IIRC.

Yes Kithnou.
I was very young then, but I remember that team and that photo in particular.
There were no mobile phones then, no internet, no SKY.
there wasn't 24hour access to information about club or players.
A transfer involved a bidding war between two or more clubs .
It was just so different then.

I have seen a lot of Everton players, teams and managers since then. I have seen a lot of mediocre teams and a few good ones.
I read of people quoting our motto and wonder if they know their history at all.
I have seen how long it can take to build a team without untold wealth and I know that a manager like RM needs to be given time.
David Moyes did a great job in rebuilding the club slowly from a time when it was on it's knees and RM needs to be given time as David
Moyes was, of course there is no guarantee of the same outcome.

As much as I love Goodison I believe we have to move if we are to compete. I would love new billionaire owners, but I have seen nothing to convince me that they are out there looking at us , I believe we would have a chance of that happening with a new stadium.

I don't love Bill Kenwright, but I do believe the club has steadied under his guidance . I do believe he is an Evertonian. I do believe he wants the best for the club.
I think football and all football clubs are at a precarious place in football just now. The money coming into the game from television is getting to ridiculous levels and there are going to be a lot looking to get their hands on the kind of money that premiership clubs can earn. I think a lot of these new investors are going to be bad news . More than ever now contrary to the opinon of many I would be ultra cautious in the person that I would allow get their hands on the reins at Everton FC.
There may not have been te World Wide Web or mobile phones, but the talk on the terraces, and the shouts players knew when they had bad games in those days also with standing on the terraces it made it easier for fans to pass comment to the players, and management in those days!

Yeah, you're right, it is a pretty simple attitude. short sighted and embracing possible perpetual mediocrity as well.

I stand by my point... No Europa win; and if, by the end of Sept, we are still doing on average,1Pt. per game, then it's all over for Roberto.

Its not embracing mediocrity, its being realistic about how [Poor language removed] we are. We just need to finish this season with our PL status in tact and the next TV money coming in. I have been slating Roberto all season long before we were flirting with relegation because it was obvious then to a realist we were playing poorly and ineffectively

There may not have been te World Wide Web or mobile phones, but the talk on the terraces, and the shouts players knew when they had bad games in those days also with standing on the terraces it made it easier for fans to pass comment to the players, and management in those days!

Very true Joey. I think that very few players in those days were in any doubt about how fans thought they were playing. They certainly didn't need to wait and read the morning papers.

Famous example of Ernie Hunt who took loads as a newly signed player and eventually turned to some guy on the terrace and shouted back, "What the f*** do you want for 30 grand? Pele?

Very true Joey. I think that very few players in those days were in any doubt about how fans thought they were playing. They certainly didn't need to wait and read the morning papers.
They truly got the message should they have been dropped and playing for the ressies. Nearly everyone who attended reserve games then went just to hand out stick. And there'd frequently be 5,000+ there.

Famous example of Ernie Hunt who took loads as a newly signed player and eventually turned to some guy on the terrace and shouted back, "What the f*** do you want for 30 grand? Pele?
YES I remember the young Joe Royle in is formative tender years replacing the Golden Vision Alex Young - the stick he got was unbelivable - proved everyone wrong became my boyhood hero - hence my avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back