Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi-res-177579178-supporters-of-everton-wear-roberto-martinez-masks-and_crop_exact.jpg

F201309041629443061421853.jpg

Well done mate, cheers nothing like a bit of fun to lighten things up. Which one is you?:)

Yes Kithnou.
I was very young then, but I remember that team and that photo in particular.
There were no mobile phones then, no internet, no SKY.
there wasn't 24hour access to information about club or players.
A transfer involved a bidding war between two or more clubs .
It was just so different then.

I have seen a lot of Everton players, teams and managers since then. I have seen a lot of mediocre teams and a few good ones.
I read of people quoting our motto and wonder if they know their history at all.
I have seen how long it can take to build a team without untold wealth and I know that a manager like RM needs to be given time.
David Moyes did a great job in rebuilding the club slowly from a time when it was on it's knees and RM needs to be given time as David
Moyes was, of course there is no guarantee of the same outcome.

As much as I love Goodison I believe we have to move if we are to compete. I would love new billionaire owners, but I have seen nothing to convince me that they are out there looking at us , I believe we would have a chance of that happening with a new stadium.

I don't love Bill Kenwright, but I do believe the club has steadied under his guidance . I do believe he is an Evertonian. I do believe he wants the best for the club.
I think football and all football clubs are at a precarious place in football just now. The money coming into the game from television is getting to ridiculous levels and there are going to be a lot looking to get their hands on the kind of money that premiership clubs can earn. I think a lot of these new investors are going to be bad news . More than ever now contrary to the opinon of many I would be ultra cautious in the person that I would allow get their hands on the reins at Everton FC.
Oh...just saw this by chance mate...you forgot the @ before my name
Agree with all of that.
My only response would be that while I agree with "I do believe he is an Evertonian. I do believe he wants the best for the club.", it doesn't automatically make one to be capable of running the Club or being guaranteed to have been a success.
The "steadied the ship"? Yes he did. How much longer does he live off that though?
All the failures. The lying during the Kings Dock/Paul Gregg takeover attempt, the total fiasco of Kirkby lies...

Anyway, lets not go there. I like your post and agree with you.

He was before Westy, who never played aged 35 by the way!
;)
West took over as number one from Albert Dunlop, but Dunlop came back for the run in to the championship season...the last four games, I think. His eyes were going and any shot at him from over 25 yards had a chance, but he did his best as usual and West was hardly missed. When it came to the lap of honour at the end of the season, Dunlop was so knackered he couldn't do it. I liked Dunlop...a very good keeper in his prime, and sympathise with his psychiatric problems in later life, although the story of him regularly escaping from Sefton General to play cricket (Liverpool or Bootle...I forget which club...but someone on here will know.)is amusing. Dunlop deserves a biographical book, his is an interesting story.

'Nobody will take for granted playing for Everton, that's for sure'.................was reassuring.

I'm taking it to mean that if Mirallas and Lukaku don't pipe down with their mutterings they will be shown the door.

Which is fair enough, except that we can't afford to be losing our better players.

[QUOTE="The Equaliser, post: 3372519, member: 10354"]'Nobody will take for granted playing for Everton, that's for sure'.................was reassuring.

I'm taking it to mean that if Mirallas and Lukaku don't pipe down with their mutterings they will be shown the door.

Which is fair enough, except that we can't afford to be losing our better players.[/QUOTE]

Except Howard, apparently. The guaranteed starter.

West took over as number one from Albert Dunlop, but Dunlop came back for the run in to the championship season...the last four games, I think. His eyes were going and any shot at him from over 25 yards had a chance, but he did his best as usual and West was hardly missed. When it came to the lap of honour at the end of the season, Dunlop was so knackered he couldn't do it. I liked Dunlop...a very good keeper in his prime, and sympathise with his psychiatric problems in later life, although the story of him regularly escaping from Sefton General to play cricket (Liverpool or Bootle...I forget which club...but someone on here will know.)is amusing. Dunlop deserves a biographical book, his is an interesting story.
Was it not Dunlop who went public with the purple hearts story in the 60s ? I didnt know about his psychiatric problems I worked for him in the early eighties when he was running a double glazing firm in Bootle and he seemed fine then( probably his problems started a lot later). He tried to stitch me up so I went over his head and started working for his head office and cut him out of any deals I done.
I liked the fella but he would sell his own granny for a few quid and I would imagine thats why he broke the story about the purple hearts.I see he died in 1990 aged 57 no age really RIP Albert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back