Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way his press conferences are an embarrassment, he just spouts the same crap sound bites over and over again about us, "wanting to control the game in a positive way and how somehow we didn't reach the highs we're capable of, but the work rate was phenomenal". Blah blah £&@?&@ blah it's the same [Poor language removed] week in week out. He's a bloody con man just like a politician. I'm fed up with it all.

Of course Bobby Martinez is ultimately responsible for the shambles of this season but what is glaringly obvious is the lack of football intelligence on the field from the players in their crucial decision making. All our attacking players with the exception of Naismith are constant offenders. We stray offside with ease; we don't thread the right ball; our free-kicks and corners go awry; When the opposition come to Goodison, they allow us to pass the ball harmlessly in front of us and then close us down when we seek to penetrate their ranks. Barkley, Atsu, McCeady, Lukaku, Lennon, Mirallas are all headless chickens, our defence is no longer resolute and Howard is now so shockingly inconsistent. I don't think Martinez should be replaced but he needs to seriously look at a new approach, because the current one has failed. It may have worked last year, but his approach should have evolved and thrived in preparation for this season because it was obvious that his counterparts will want to suss him out.

The manager is ultimately responsible mate - that is the crux of the matter
If the players commit the errors that you mention over a sustained period of time( as has been the case) then any coach/manager worth their salt would adapt the playing style/team shape accordingly. Early season you would expect the manager to ensure that these mistakes are coached out of the players, but there comes a time when the manager has to accept the players he is working with and set them up to play accordingly.
BTW I have no confidence in the abilities of our coaching team AT ALL - again that is the manager's responsibility.

I think next summer (assuming we do stay in the league) is big. What we do in the window, how pre-season goes and whether we can keep hold of key players will determine us for the next few years. If we do well I can see Roberto building things back up and putting his stamp on things. Failing in the next window and having a pre-season similar to this season's would set us back years. I remember everyone saying "don't worry about how we're playing in pre-season, the real stuff starts and we'll be ready". I was concerned from the very beginning this year. I'd keep Roberto though.

By the way his press conferences are an embarrassment, he just spouts the same crap sound bites over and over again about us, "wanting to control the game in a positive way and how somehow we didn't reach the highs we're capable of, but the work rate was phenomenal". Blah blah £&@?&@ blah it's the same [Poor language removed] week in week out. He's a bloody con man just like a politician. I'm fed up with it all.

All managers are bluffers to an extent, cue Wengers "I did not see it"....but RM is the undisputed master. I don't know if it's his lack of vocabulary but he trots out the same phrases regardless of what just took place on the field, and invariably have no relation to the game. He reminds me of Jack in the Father Ted episode (the one where he learn two phrases...."yes"...."that would be an ecumenical matter").

Last edited:

Of course Bobby Martinez is ultimately responsible for the shambles of this season but what is glaringly obvious is the lack of football intelligence on the field from the players in their crucial decision making. All our attacking players with the exception of Naismith are constant offenders. We stray offside with ease; we don't thread the right ball; our free-kicks and corners go awry; When the opposition come to Goodison, they allow us to pass the ball harmlessly in front of us and then close us down when we seek to penetrate their ranks. Barkley, Atsu, McCeady, Lukaku, Lennon, Mirallas are all headless chickens, our defence is no longer resolute and Howard is now so shockingly inconsistent. I don't think Martinez should be replaced but he needs to seriously look at a new approach, because the current one has failed. It may have worked last year, but his approach should have evolved and thrived in preparation for this season because it was obvious that his counterparts will want to suss him out.
I can't believe anyone would ever say that. His final pass is a disgrace. Hurried and inaccurate. I'd love to see his successful pass rate.

I think he's boss lads.
Agree with Neiler wholeheartedly. Ok, some games have been tighter than I'd like and I agree that our throw ins are not all that (although they have improved massively of late...Leicester had no idea where we going to throw it today), but a combination of bad weather today coupled with second season syndrome suggests we are not doing too badly. If we can overhaul Stoke, I do not think many will be calling for Bobby's head.

All managers are bluffers to an extent, cue Wengers "I did not see it"....but RM is the undisputed master. I don't know if it's his lack of vocabulary but he trots out the same phrases regardless of what just took place on the field, and invariably have no relation to the game. He reminds me of Jack in the Father Ted episode (the one where he learn two phrases...."yes"...."that would be an ecumenical matter").
You've got red on you.

i actually thought we'd shored up the defence, had a rethink about being fiercely against martinez, given it's not likely he'll be sacked i tried to assess the situation

but First game we try to play our attacking game, we concede 2 at home to the bottom side

Genuinely worrying stuff

Going to put it down to Thursday, considering Spurs were similarly crap today but you know, if we don't get some big results then Martinez is goin to be under a lot of pressure at the beginning of next season

The absolute killer is that even though we have weak spots, i really do think we've got the best squad in goodness how many years. on paper there arent many teams with a better core of young players (stones, besic, mccarthy, barkley, lukaku) than we have here

Every cloud has a silver lining though. The second season syndrome (and bad weather tbf) which has affected this season has probably deferred Barca coming for Bobby straight away. That eventuality/inevitability was a concern for all of us. Hopefully, we can keep hold of our young talented manager for an extra season or two. But ultimately, Barca will come knocking.

We should All be behind our lovely team and our great manager no doubt about it we will be back next season but I hope we get that right winger and the euro cup its on once we aren't relegated and win the cup I'm happy but next year no excuse the team and Martinez need to get it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back