Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besic' form was good enough to keep his place in the team. Maybe the plan was to ease him in, but if he is good enough then he is good enough. That is like saying 'I'm not going to use Alexis Sanchez all the time, I'm going to ease him into the pace of this league'.

I said Garbutt deserved his chance to show us what he can do, not be dropped back to the bench never to be seen again on the back of impressive form. Baines is the wrong side of 30, Garbutt is an up and coming talented left-back who we are now probably going to be losing on a free. Perhaps a run in the team would have convinced him he has s future with us?

Tim Howard has been shocking, the decision to bring him back into the squad was a disgrace.
not it's not at all. Are you serious comparing Alexis Sanchez going from Barcelona to Arsenal to Besic coming from the Hungarian league to the Prem while also playing a new position? Sanchez had 88 apps for Barca for 3 years while playing top quality opponents in the CL, outside of the WC the level of competition Besic has played in prior to coming to Everton has been really poor. It's a huge leap for a player to make and you can check my past posts, I really rate Besic so I hardly have an agenda

not it's not at all. Are you serious comparing Alexis Sanchez going from Barcelona to Arsenal to Besic coming from the Hungarian league to the Prem while also playing a new position? Sanchez had 88 apps for Barca for 3 years while playing top quality opponents in the CL, outside of the WC the level of competition Besic has played in prior to coming to Everton has been really poor. It's a huge leap for a player to make and you can check my past posts, I really rate Besic so I hardly have an agenda
Maybe it's not exactly the same, but that doesn't justify him being dropped because this was a planned transition year.

He was performing better in a position than another player, therefore he should have stayed in that position. Not only that, he is 22 and Barry is 35, we could have had the chance to address the enormous average age of our squad.

I'd say the blame's pretty much equally shared between the manager and the players. With Martinez being in charge he should really take the majority of the blame, that's how management works.

I guess.

For a lot of the slating Howard gets, and by God I've given him slating, it was pretty clear her needed dropping and Robles did nothing wrong to deserve being dropped. It was probably a decision I will never understand. That was Martinez. He drops Howard, then he doesn't get slated.

Oh bollox to it. I just want this season over.

Answers, good or bad, will appear early-ish next season I reckon, and answers to nearly all our questions.

Besic' form was good enough to keep his place in the team. Maybe the plan was to ease him in, but if he is good enough then he is good enough. That is like saying 'I'm not going to use Alexis Sanchez all the time, I'm going to ease him into the pace of this league'.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, and we'd rather we weren't.

Every manager we've had since Royle has been a failiure at this club. That doesn't mean that we should stop wanting success.
Not saying we should
My belief is (as with Moyes) we have to give the manager a chance and give him the support.
In RM & DM both were/are young aspiring managers coming to a club with expectations that was always going to be a massive task. Both managers made mistakes in line ups, subs, playing their favourites, but both I believe we're trying to get the best out of what they had available. My fear is if we don't give young managers a chance and hound them out as they don't deliver silverware, we get into a situation were we get on that manager merry go round looking for the right man - it rarely happens
I want to win as much as the next person, and I believe the best way of doing it is to give the manager time
I never give up wanting to see silverware, but I am realistical to know winning the prem is out of the question so our best hope is a cup which we all know can be down to the luck of the draw

I have to laugh at these posts
Yes this season has been terrible and there is blame to be proportioned all over the club
Last season was superb and most of us recognised it was always going to be a hard act to follow
Were I find it funny you would think we had been winning trophys and titles on a regular basis, and playing football on the same levels as Barcelona
The truth is we are a team that averaged around 7th place, never challenged for anything and played very conservative football
So please feel free to call him what you want, but just think back over the years and just remember since the mid 80s we have been at best mediocre
Hey Superfan !

giphy.gif

I guess.

For a lot of the slating Howard gets, and by God I've given him slating, it was pretty clear her needed dropping and Robles did nothing wrong to deserve being dropped. It was probably a decision I will never understand. That was Martinez. He drops Howard, then he doesn't get slated.

Answers, good or bad, will appear early-ish next season I reckon, and answers to nearly all our questions.
My fear for next season is if we start slow then it will be magnified by 1000x. The atmosphere will be poisonous if we get off to a bad start next season and it could set a precedent for the rest of the season.

Not saying we should
My belief is (as with Moyes) we have to give the manager a chance and give him the support.
In RM & DM both were/are young aspiring managers coming to a club with expectations that was always going to be a massive task. Both managers made mistakes in line ups, subs, playing their favourites, but both I believe we're trying to get the best out of what they had available. My fear is if we don't give young managers a chance and hound them out as they don't deliver silverware, we get into a situation were we get on that manager merry go round looking for the right man - it rarely happens
I want to win as much as the next person, and I believe the best way of doing it is to give the manager time
I never give up wanting to see silverware, but I am realistical to know winning the prem is out of the question so our best hope is a cup which we all know can be down to the luck of the draw

I don't want martinez out. I want him to win us a cup and I don't want 10 years of not doing that by losing games to the likes of wigan and reading while being one of the best paid managers in europe to be seen as success.

Which you know has happened before. You stop getting upset about bad seasons and you allow the manager to just take the piss.

Like by saying that top ten is a great result.

My fear for next season is if we start slow then it will be magnified by 1000x. The atmosphere will be poisonous if we get off to a bad start next season and it could set a precedent for the rest of the season.

Definitely.

Pre season will show us more than ever too.

Little did we realise all the signs were there last year. Losing to Paderborn (who the actual Christ are they?!) and getting utterly drilled by Celta Vigo didn't really feel too serious as it was pre-season, but in reality all the signs were there.

(Watch us spank everyone in pre season now and lose 2-1 to Watford on the opening day now)

I can understand that, especially when you're marooned so far from the Old Lady.

I can't bring myself to wish the season away though. Even when there's nothing to play for I still get a buzz out of walking up to Goodison in the Spring sunshine ( eyeing up any talent helps too ).

It'll probably throw it down for S'land and Spuds now, for which I'll blame Martinez. He's Spanish, can't he rustle up some decent weather ffs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back