Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke Garbutt;

“With the games coming so thick and fast we hadn’t worked on a set formation. It was a quick turn around. It surprised a few of the players.

“I think I adapted to the situation well.

Romelu Lukaku

"I won't play on the wing anymore. I ve told the manager too: 'I'm useless as a winger. I will only score goals as a striker. The manager is the boss, but when something is going wrong, I tell him straight away. I hear what the others are saying too

Leighton Baines

Roberto Martinez, last season, revealed how he took Baines to Manchester United’s Champions League tie with Bayern Munich so he could study Philipp Lahm who successfully made the transition from full-back to midfield.

And though the Blues boss and Baines had discussed his potential to play there he admits to be being surprised when, eight months later, Martinez named him in Everton’s midfield at St James’ Park. “I’d never even trained there,” Baines said.

“Roberto told me on the day (that I would be playing there).

“It was fine and we did it at Hull in the second-half. It is brand new and it is about getting your bearings. I am used to playing in a position where the game is in front of me so it is new but it’s not something we had been working on or have been. I’m not sure if it will come up again in the future or not, I’ve no idea really, but I don’t mind.

Kevin Mirallas

There are promises broken and yet it makes for a somewhat awkward relationship with the coach. Soon I have a conversation with him, ”

Sylvain Distin

'On February 2, I went to see the coach about the proposal for West Ham who were offering me a transfer until the end of the season,' Distin told L'Equipe.
'The next day, at a press conference, he said that he counted on me and that I was part of the team. Since that day I haven't been called up once.
'I have no idea why. Ask him. We have not spoken since. There are a lot of things that are lost in football, and you hope there is still a bit of respect. But okay, I've played at the top level for 20 years so I'm enjoying my family weekends. I keep my spirits up.

@GrandOldTeam you can add Galloway's comments about not knowing he was starting or even in the squad against Newcastle, until 1:30pm of the day. When Martinez told the players the team.

He's had a full year to pull his finger out and get everyone playing together as a team and remedy our issues. What has he actually done that's conducive to that aim ? And he's going to solve this during his vacation ? Okay then...

State of Distin there saying that hahahaha.
He was the reason the West Ham move fell down. Eto'o and Distin were the two players Martinez wanted rid of in January, he successfully got rid of one of them but Distin refused to go to West Ham because of the contract they gave him, then he wonders why Martinez ignored him the tit hahahaha.

I think that some of the players need to look at their own failings as well as them looking at the managers shortcomings.
Baines isn't a criticism but instead shows how the managers mind is working and getting Baines to look at how Lahm plays for Bayern is not a bad thing.
I think Lukaku is improving as a player by having to adapt and play different positions.

I think that Garbutt should have kept his mouth shut. A young player trying to break into a team is not going to help his cause by questioning his manager publicly.
The issues between the manager and Distin as well as Mirallas we have seen grow this season. Last season there seemed to be no problem. Distin has been replaced by Stones and the manager has lost confidence in him and Mirallas clearly wanted to leave the club in Jauary and the manager wanted him to stay.

That's fairly common - hear that time and time again when young lads get their first game.

Agree with that. A lot of those comments are a bit worrying, but Ive no problem with the Galloway one. Martinez quite famously didnt tell Callum McManaman he was in the lineup when Wigan won the Cup, as he'd always had issues with nerves, and would quite often go out too pumped up and do something stupid if he knew he was in for a big game.

Had Stones and Alcaraz not both kept getting injured at the same time, I honestly dont think we'd have ever seen Distin again after the Swansea Cup game. His only appearance in the squad even as a sub between that Swansea game, and Lille at home after Alcaraz got injured against Swansea in the League, was to play Lille away. Probably because Martinez knew that Alcaraz is made of glass and cant play 2 games in a week. He then played in every match until Stoke on Boxing Day, when even when Jagielka got injured at half time, it was Alcaraz who came on for him. Jagielka and Stones getting injured then meant both of them had to play at Newcastle. Back out again at Hull with Jags fit again, though Alcaraz's red card got him back in the next game, but again, once Stones was fit again, he was out again. Fact is, since that Swansea game, he was only even involved when we had at least 2 centre backs injured. I think it was only circumstance that meant Martinez had to swallow his pride and keep picking him. It was either that, or give a kid a go in a struggling team that needed the points, which isnt ideal for either the kid or the team. Agree that it seems Martinez had pinpointed Eto'o and Distin as the 'bad eggs' who needed to go. And but for Distin quibbling over the West Ham contract, he'd have been gone too.

I think in some cases whats gone wrong this season is down to the manager, but there are others its down to the players themselves. I do think Distin was one of them. I know he was a good player for us for many years, but he also has previous for turning the second he's not happy. I have friends who support Portsmouth who saw a similar thing with them, great player for them, then when he decided he wanted out, he made sure he didnt go quietly and ruined his own legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back