Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea what constitutes good football. You're a child of Moyes. Anyone growing up thinking that is the right way to play football needs re-educating.

What Moyes brought was safe, by the numbers, no frills 'football'. Only on a handful of occasions was that ever dropped as an approach.

Even in Martinez's worst moments here he's tried to get us playing football, on the ground and to feet and playing in a way that befits the traditions of this club.

Read some history books sonny Jim, you might learn something.

Which was far better than what we played in the season just gone.

You're not really disproving anything i've said. Never said anything about Moyes' football being the 'right way' either, so that's a strawman argument.

Finishing 11th isn't the 'right way' to play football.

Joe Royle took Oldham down (after years of keeping them up, like Martinez with Wigan) and I didn't see anyone crying when Royle was appointed EFC boss.

Let's have some due respect for a manager who's given us our best points total in PL history and football that's worthy of being called football: on the deck without any resort to smashing it 90 foot in the air.

To listen to some of you casting the rule over him - pushing him half way out the door with your demands for 'great starts or he's gone' - you'd think he was something you'd just trodden in.

Dave, you keep harping on about Pl History, lets stop there and talk of the facts over over all our top flight history. As usual you pick and choose bits that suit your agenda.

Well that's a totally logical conclusion from the post i just made....

It's not really. We had a ropey season, they happen. We rightfully point at other clubs and laugh at their trigger-happy chairman, there's nothing to be lost from having patience with a manager who has proven he can win trophies and get a record points haul with limited resources.

Are you placing yourself a rung above Davek? Lad...

I suspect the Plotters have irrevocably drawn their lines and nothing short of a top 4 finish will appease them, if even. It's a shame, because an overarching negativity can creep into a team's performance just as much as a feeling of progress and momentum. I'm glad we have such a difficult fixture list to start out with, take one or two big scalps early on and we might get some change out of our murmuring, restless audience.

You can give me any nickname you like but let me be clear. I think a top 4 finish is unrealistic but 5th to 7th is not. I would like us to be some where there above the Stokes, WHU etc and qualing for Europe even if it is the Europa. So I suppose that makes me inyour eyes a plotter when all I want is the best for Everton. IF RM can provide fine but if it is another season like last then he should face up to the fact and make way.

It's not really. We had a ropey season, they happen. We rightfully point at other clubs and laugh at their trigger-happy chairman, there's nothing to be lost from having patience with a manager who has proven he can win trophies and get a record points haul with limited resources.

I was being sarcastic you blimp.

How you could glean that i want Martinez sacked simply because i said finishing 11th isn't the right way to play football is beyond me. I'm a supporter of Martinez, i'm just bored of reading Davek's biased tripe which is unrepresentative of reality.

Moyes was a good manager for us and at times had us playing really effective and good football. To label it as 'agricultural' does a disservice to the performances from players during his tenure. Baines and Pienaar were never 'agricultural'. In fact, the complaint about that partnership was often that they arsed around with the ball to much rather than just getting it in the box.

You can give me any nickname you like but let me be clear. I think a top 4 finish is unrealistic but 5th to 7th is not. I would like us to be some where there above the Stokes, WHU etc and qualing for Europe even if it is the Europa. So I suppose that makes me inyour eyes a plotter when all I want is the best for Everton. IF RM can provide fine but if it is another season like last then he should face up to the fact and make way.

I agree completely. But the more... collusive among us are talking about him like he's a dead man walking already. I'm saying give the man a chance, and put the chins up. There's no point walking into the next season under a cloud of fume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back