Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
4580520-3376618-6086040402-fhd99.jpg

Playing easy passes in safe areas and never mixing it up with a direct ball makes you Barcelona.

There's nothing else to it.

Nothing.

I am a little shocked people can be arsed slating the manager during the close season.

It's not like a lot is going to change right now surely.

I am a little shocked people can be arsed slating the manager during the close season.

It's not like a lot is going to change right now surely.
Sadly mate it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. These people eat, drink, sleep and breathe their campaign to oust our manager. It's frightening. Imagine being that bitter and driven against your own?

They're weird.

I expressed my concerns at the end of the season, and I still hold those reservations.

However, given (i) the Board were never going to remove him and (ii) there is no apparent, suitable replacement anyway, you have to get behind your own. We all want Everton to succeed and perform beyond expectations therefore it's imperative that the manager and the players receive the widest support possible.

Given the pressure and scrutiny that Martinez will now be under in the early part of the new season to prove that season 1 is the standard we can maintain and improve upon all we can do is wish him well in the transfer market and in his preparations for the new season.

I expressed my concerns at the end of the season, and I still hold those reservations.

However, given (i) the Board were never going to remove him and (ii) there is no apparent, suitable replacement anyway, you have to get behind your own. We all want Everton to succeed and perform beyond expectations therefore it's imperative that the manager and the players receive the widest support possible.

Given the pressure and scrutiny that Martinez will now be under in the early part of the new season to prove that season 1 is the standard we can maintain and improve upon all we can do is wish him well in the transfer market and in his preparations for the new season.

Exactly. It should work that way.

I'll tell you what you know already though: first poor result of the season (or pre-season for that matter) and the volume will be turned right up again on 'the managerial question'. And a forum like this will be destroyed by the depressing in-fighting that a few hardcore malevolent spirits (they know who they are) are determined to fan the flames of.

My suggestion would be to ban any "in/out polls" on the forum prior to getting the first third of the season behind us. They were a nightmare for admin to patrol and they dragged this place through the mud. Just a suggestion.

I'll tell you what you know already though: first poor result of the season (or pre-season for that matter) and the volume will be turned right up again on 'the managerial question'. And a forum like this will be destroyed by the depressing in-fighting that a few hardcore malevolent spirits (they know who they are) are determined to fan the flames of.

My suggestion would be to ban any "in/out polls" on the forum prior to getting the first third of the season behind us. They were a nightmare for admin to patrol and they dragged this place through the mud. Just a suggestion.

The polls were ridiculous.

That's why I done one for when the fixtures were released.

It's amazing that people can't give Martinez some time but the likes of Bill and his cronies can get nearly two decades and be applauded for doing next to nothing.

Amazing.

Re the forum, I agree and for sure we're not going to allow a poll after every game, nor I would imagine until well after Christmas unless there were a string of unimaginable performances, but we'll cross that bridge if we have to, although hopefully not!

Notwithstanding that, I think Martinez should have 3 clear objectives or performance hurdles between now and the end of the year. Satisfactory results in all three should remove any credence from the doubters (myself included). Those performances hurdles, pretty much lead, one from the other, namely:

• A "good" transfer performance, bringing in players that will strengthen weaknesses (already identified ad nauseum on this site), keeping all those that we want to stay, and perhaps (being greedy) a "marquee" signing.
  • A "good" pre-season in terms of preparation, performance and fitness levels in pre-season games (not necessarily results though) and a squad that hits the ground running from game 1.
  • A "good" first half of the season. Good being defined as style of play and results meeting or above expectations. Expectations? - well realistically top 6, i.e. a European place. Anything higher is exceeding expectations.
Our support, as against our derision, would help, certainly when the season gets going for real.

Re the forum, I agree and for sure we're not going to allow a poll after every game, nor I would imagine until well after Christmas unless there were a string of unimaginable performances, but we'll cross that bridge if we have to, although hopefully not!

Notwithstanding that, I think Martinez should have 3 clear objectives or performance hurdles between now and the end of the year. Satisfactory results in all three should remove any credence from the doubters (myself included). Those performances hurdles, pretty much lead, one from the other, namely:

• A "good" transfer performance, bringing in players that will strengthen weaknesses (already identified ad nauseum on this site), keeping all those that we want to stay, and perhaps (being greedy) a "marquee" signing.
  • A "good" pre-season in terms of preparation, performance and fitness levels in pre-season games (not necessarily results though) and a squad that hits the ground running from game 1.
  • A "good" first half of the season. Good being defined as style of play and results meeting or above expectations. Expectations? - well realistically top 6, i.e. a European place. Anything higher is exceeding expectations.
Our support, as against our derision, would help, certainly when the season gets going for real.
The polls: good to hear. It'll take some of the wind out the sails of those intent on (what is when all is said and done) trolling.

Your three bullet points:

• I think we're on our way to a good summer transfer window. I'd question though whether a marquee signing can be placed in the category of performance if the cash isn't made available.
  • Again, we seem to be off to a good start in respect to this. Five matches we played last season and I know it's not about quantity but that really was too few by about two matches. One worry is the dropping of the Austrian training camp, because I think we did well off the back of that in Martinez's first summer here and it has to add to conditioning. Given the rubbish season just gone, this lot should have been hauled back a week or so early so we could get all the preseason games in and the camp.
  • I disagree with top 6 as a measure for first half of the season performance. Top half would do as long as there's a lot of congestion around the 10th-5th positions. If Moyes had been judged on '6th by Christmas as a good performance' indicator he'd have been sacked well before he left in 2013!

I voted out last season but that has past. Now is the time to get back behind the manager and team for the new season. I have always stated that i didn't want him to fail, my tolerance just broke.

However he has my full support again; if he does well, we do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back