Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expressed my concerns at the end of the season, and I still hold those reservations.

However, given (i) the Board were never going to remove him and (ii) there is no apparent, suitable replacement anyway, you have to get behind your own. We all want Everton to succeed and perform beyond expectations therefore it's imperative that the manager and the players receive the widest support possible.

Given the pressure and scrutiny that Martinez will now be under in the early part of the new season to prove that season 1 is the standard we can maintain and improve upon all we can do is wish him well in the transfer market and in his preparations for the new season.

How about people can post their feelings on the manager (be it positive or negative) without being accused constantly of being "plotters" who want a return to the "hoofball" of Sergeant Major Moyes by one poster who makes a habit of going round the site and doing just that to pretty much everyone who voices anti Martinez views, ala trolling.

The polls: good to hear. It'll take some of the wind out the sails of those intent on (what is when all is said and done) trolling.

You'd think the 'own manager haters' would give it a rest and have some dignity. There'll soon be the pre-season games for you to start slobbering over with your bile. Try and act with some class in the meantime.

Sadly mate it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. These people eat, drink, sleep and breathe their campaign to oust our manager. It's frightening. Imagine being that bitter and driven against your own?

They're weird.

Exactly. It should work that way.

I'll tell you what you know already though: first poor result of the season (or pre-season for that matter) and the volume will be turned right up again on 'the managerial question'. And a forum like this will be destroyed by the depressing in-fighting that a few hardcore malevolent spirits (they know who they are) are determined to fan the flames of.

My suggestion would be to ban any "in/out polls" on the forum prior to getting the first third of the season behind us. They were a nightmare for admin to patrol and they dragged this place through the mud. Just a suggestion.

How about people can post their feelings on the manager (be it positive or negative) without being accused constantly of being "plotters" who want a return to the "hoofball" of Sergeant Major Moyes by one poster who makes a habit of going round the site and doing just that to pretty much everyone who voices anti Martinez views, ala trolling.

I think that's a fair point. I'd much prefer if all posters did not label other posters whom they disagree with

Basically I always said I would give him until October.

I wish to change that stance.

He has until 5pm on Saturday 12th September.(Unless Sky, yano)

Make me proud Bobby.

In that case why are said posters not banned ? It happens on a daily basis and has been going on for months.

Much prefer is not the same as downright object.

Personally I see no issue with the labels, Plotters, Kenwrongers, Clappers are pretty harmless words in my book.

Buy hey ho, what do I know, only been in the game for 7 years yo.

Re the forum, I agree and for sure we're not going to allow a poll after every game, nor I would imagine until well after Christmas unless there were a string of unimaginable performances, but we'll cross that bridge if we have to, although hopefully not!

Notwithstanding that, I think Martinez should have 3 clear objectives or performance hurdles between now and the end of the year. Satisfactory results in all three should remove any credence from the doubters (myself included). Those performances hurdles, pretty much lead, one from the other, namely:

• A "good" transfer performance, bringing in players that will strengthen weaknesses (already identified ad nauseum on this site), keeping all those that we want to stay, and perhaps (being greedy) a "marquee" signing.
  • A "good" pre-season in terms of preparation, performance and fitness levels in pre-season games (not necessarily results though) and a squad that hits the ground running from game 1.
  • A "good" first half of the season. Good being defined as style of play and results meeting or above expectations. Expectations? - well realistically top 6, i.e. a European place. Anything higher is exceeding expectations.
Our support, as against our derision, would help, certainly when the season gets going for real.

Just thinking out loud again: I wouldn't want to be accused of trying to shut down debate. I wonder if the owner and mods might think (if these polls came up again) of stickying a general in/out poll at the top of the forum? I think that could be the answer, tbh. If it's there it caters to demand if there is any. But if it's "up there" it takes it away from clogging up the main Everton forum and seeing it yo-yoing up and down. Also, I'm convinced they're a big 'look at me' type of statement anyway. Those people will be less inclined to post on the issue if they don't have the ego boost of bumping the thread to the top of the board.

Anyway, just a thought.

That start we have tho, he will either be a King or the worst manager in our history by the end of September.

Exciting times ahead.

Or the other side of the coin.

gp_edited-1.webp

Much prefer is not the same as downright object.

Personally I see no issue with the labels, Plotters, Kenwrongers, Clappers are pretty harmless words in my book.

Buy hey ho, what do I know, only been in the game for 7 years yo.
Exactly. It's a way of taking the steam out of the situation. Some people cant see that though. :coffee:

Just thinking out loud again: I wouldn't want to be accused of trying to shut down debate. I wonder if the owner and mods might think (if these polls came up again) of stickying a general in/out poll at the top of the forum? I think that could be the answer, tbh. If it's there it caters to demand if there is any. But if it's "up there" it takes it away from clogging up the main Everton forum and seeing it yo-yoing up and down. Also, I'm convinced they're a big 'look at me' type of statement anyway. Those people will be less inclined to post on the issue if they don't have the ego boost of bumping the thread to the top of the board.

Anyway, just a thought.

Good point, will refer to Mod Central!

In that case why are said posters not banned ? It happens on a daily basis and has been going on for months.

Firstly, I was stating a personal preference.

Secondly, labeling of posters per se is not against forum rules as long as it is not aggressive, insulting or discriminatory.

Thirdly, one of the reasons why GOT is successful, other than the content of the membership, is that the moderating team take a pragmatic approach to moderation. Our subjectivity helps make the place what it is.

I'm not a fan at this point of Martinez but Lord do we have a difficult start to the season. At the very least most of these aren't going to be teams sitting back, so that's what I'll judge Martinez on mostly.

Players in early and a good preseason will be a nice indicator..

Anyway, just a thought.

OMG K, your generalisations and re-writing of history are becoming rather extreme like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back