Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do people mean by play maker? I really don't think our problems will be solved by shoving a number 10 in there and hoping for the best.

The massive flaw in the way we play is how isolated our number 10 becomes. Whoever it is finds themselves with two men marking them in the final third because our other two centre mids are stood in the centre circle waiting to pass it backwards and sideways.

Hurrah!

The CM partnership of Barry and McCarthy is literally going nowhere other than backwards. As you say, the creativity we need needs to come from deeper than the second striker position, it needs to come from central midfield.

What do people mean by play maker? I really don't think our problems will be solved by shoving a number 10 in there and hoping for the best.

The massive flaw in the way we play is how isolated our number 10 becomes. Whoever it is finds themselves with two men marking them in the final third because our other two centre mids are stood in the centre circle waiting to pass it backwards and sideways.

We need somebody to start dictating the tempo of our play by not being afraid to take the ball forward, start looking for meaningful and direct passes, get our strikers anticipating potential balls in behind and offers a decent goal threat themselves. A bit like Santi Cazorla did today for Arsenal, Coutinho does for Liverpool, Fabregas for Chelsea, Silva for City ect ect

At the moment we have a big gap between the midfield and attackers and it leads to the likes of Lukaku looking isolated up top trying to feed on scraps, we've got to get somebody in that hole to link up the play or quite simply we will face the same problems as last season.

We need somebody to start dictating the tempo of our play by not being afraid to take the ball forward, start looking for meaningful and direct passes, get our strikers anticipating potential balls in behind and offers a decent goal threat themselves. A bit like Santi Cazorla did today for Arsenal, Coutinho does for Liverpool, Fabregas for Chelsea, Silva for City ect ect

At the moment we have a big gap between the midfield and attackers and it leads to the likes of Lukaku looking isolated up top trying to feed on scraps, we've got to get somebody in that hole to link up the play or quite simply we will face the same problems as last season.

Cazorla is exactly what we need. Even though he's a deep lying midfielder he can still hurt the opposition and gets his team on the front foot.

Barry, McCarthy, Besic and Cleverley would struggle to get 10 goals or assists between them in the whole season. Cazorla playing in the same role got 12 of the latter. That's the issue right there.

Martinez is just not very good. Or I'll re phrase that. He's just not a top 4 manager which is where we wanna be.

He's also gonna lose all these youngsters who will lose faith in him as the elders did last season.

Martinez is just not very good. Or I'll re phrase that. He's just not a top 4 manager which is where we wanna be.

He's also gonna lose all these youngsters who will lose faith in him as the elders did last season.
We can't judge him pre season he needs to be given a good start into the next season to be fair.
I think he has got a lot of hard work to put in and he needs to get the right players in.

Wait what? When Moyes was in charge you said we shouldn't be any higher than 7-8th and that our expectations were too high.

I'm positive you're either the longest serving kopite poster on this forum or missing a few sandwiches.

This ... You could stick Maradona in there in his pomp during the Napoli years and he'd be as ineffective as a chocolate fire guard.

The system is the problem or should I say the way in which it is being deployed. The ball needs to travel back to front a lot quicker and the pressing of the opposition improved 100%

It's really not rocket science.

This ... You could stick Maradona in there in his pomp during the Napoli years and he'd be as ineffective as a chocolate fire guard.

The system is the problem or should I say the way in which it is being deployed. The ball needs to travel back to front a lot quicker and the pressing of the opposition improved 100%

The system we play is a worry.
I was hoping after he changed it towards the end of last season with positive results he would carry on and tinker with it to get us playing like we did in his 1st season.
I still think he will get there but he has to learn from his mistakes and playing naismith in that position is a bad desicision.
I am hoping in pre season he will go at teams with pace and create chances and ditch barry.

McCarthy and Barkley in the centre and a superstar playmaker in front. Deulofeu and Mirallas wide to stretch the defence.

Problem we have now is 2 men on lukaku and barkley (or 4 on either if Naismith/Kone are playing).

The system we play is a worry.
I was hoping after he changed it towards the end of last season with positive results he would carry on and tinker with it to get us playing like we did in his 1st season.
I still think he will get there but he has to learn from his mistakes and playing naismith in that position is a bad desicision.
I am hoping in pre season he will go at teams with pace and create chances and ditch barry.

It's preseason buddy. We played Conor last week, he ain't getting a game all season if we're honest. (Sorry Conor, I know you're reading!).

Wait a few games into the season.

Excellent post.

Somewhere along the way key players seem to have lost confidence in themselves to play the system the way it's meant to be played.

It's preseason buddy. We played Conor last week, he ain't getting a game all season if we're honest. (Sorry Conor, I know you're reading!).

Wait a few games into the season.
I will give him time mate i just want to see a few green shoots of recovery.
I think todays game surprised me in how we never competed and let them walk all over us

I will give him time mate i just want to see a few green shoots of recovery.
I think todays game surprised me in how we never competed and let them walk all over us

This is the make or break season for him though no doubt about that, see how we're looking around November/December at the latest.

We looked a much better side with Gibson in it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back