Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I would have Osman in the dire category or borderline. I see you are not over awed by Cleverly either.
Cleverley looks average to me. He has a bit of work to do to be in the same category as Coleman, Barkley, Mirallas etc.

I wouldn't dismiss him just yet though.

Cleverley has looked ok up until yesterday when played out of position on the wing. There is no need for this square pegs in round holes anymore, it is just frustrating knowing that we have players who naturally play them positions but the managers we have manage to mess it up.

He needs to move away from it now and make some bold decisions on the way we are going to approach next season as last seasons didn't work.

Pressing in that murderous heat? That approach would last about 10 minutes before someone was stretchered off wearing an oxygen mask.

you are so wrong, for your info the temperature was around 25 degree Celsius, not 35. Yes humidity is a problem but it's way easier than playing in the Brazilian afternoon sun during the world cup.

The lack of pressing is a definite concern for me

Against a Chelsea or Arsenal, then maybe there's a case for it, but against teams at our level or below, we should be constantly pressing to get the ball back. If the players aren't capable of doing that, then we need a new game plan

The whole style will transform itself once we start pressing, we'll see reduction in crosses we allowed, fewer shots concede, winning the ball higher up the pitch, launching counter attack more often and reduce the need to build up play from our penalty box which is painful to watch. It's not difficult to press more, just have to run more, the only reason we are not doing it more often is because we neglect it or don't think it's even necessary.

They're not superb mate. There's only a couple in that category, the rest are a mixture of good PL players, bog standard PL and the dire.

This belief that Martinez is wasting a golden generation is pure conceit/fantasy.
I agree with you completely on this one. The players are comically overrated by the fans.

The whole style will transform itself once we start pressing, we'll see reduction in crosses we allowed, fewer shots concede, winning the ball higher up the pitch, launching counter attack more often and reduce the need to build up play from our penalty box which is painful to watch. It's not difficult to press more, just have to run more, the only reason we are not doing it more often is because we neglect it or don't think it's even necessary.

The pressing is the core part of it working

Get the ball, make the opponent chase to get it back, keep it from them with passing and then find an opening to score

What we're doing is sitting back, letting the opposition have all the possession they want, and then passing it sideways when we do have it

The pressing is so important because it keeps the other team on the back foot

It's not as if I don't think this style works, because sides like Barcelona have showed that it can, but I just think the way we go about it is all wrong

Also, I feel that we need a plan B or C that can be implemented if this style isn't working

We got badly sussed out last season and need to start either making this style work or go completely back to the drawing board and come up with something new

We'll see anyway. I think Martinez is more interested at finding players that fit his style rather than trying to find a style that fits his players. Just my opinion, but that's how I've always felt. You may argue that most managers do that, but I'd argue the best managers pick the best formation for their players. Van Gaal showed that last season with his use of Fellaini

And yes, pressing hard in a pre-season match in Singapore is hardly going to happen. This applies to the actual season when it starts. Just want to nip that little comeback in the bud immediately

We have only played a few pre-season games and on that evidence we have some who already want Martinez out, I get the impression that some people just have an agenda against Martinez, and no matter how well he did, they would still want him gone.
Completely disagree. I honestly don't recall a single person wanting him gone during that first season.

Plenty were dubious about his appointment and I was one of them, but when we were doing well there wasn't any criticism of Martinez at all as far as I remember.

Let's be honest though, last season he deserved some flak as the season wasn't acceptable and football was pretty dire.

Do well and you get the plaudits as he did the first season, do [Poor language removed] and you get criticised.

That's the way it should be isn't it?

you are so wrong, for your info the temperature was around 25 degree Celsius, not 35. Yes humidity is a problem but it's way easier than playing in the Brazilian afternoon sun during the world cup.
That'll be why they had a water break in each half for a five minute rest and drink.

Completely disagree. I honestly don't recall a single person wanting him gone during that first season.

Plenty were dubious about his appointment and I was one of them, but when we were doing well there wasn't any criticism of Martinez at all as far as I remember.

Let's be honest though, last season he deserved some flak as the season wasn't acceptable and football was pretty dire.

Do well and you get the plaudits as he did the first season, do [Poor language removed] and you get criticised.

That's the way it should be isn't it?
Yes, but the 'out' calls were coming in November when we were in the top half and going well in the EL.

There's people who didn't and dont want him as manager regardless.

That'll be why they had a water break in each half for a five minute rest and drink.

The water break is unnecessary, no one would suffer any heat injuries if the game were to carry on without water break. Like I say 25 degree Celsius is well within human limits. It's not as punishing as you imagine. Non of the international games held in that region needs any water break in between and not one heat injuries was reported as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back