Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The water break is unnecessary, no one would suffer any heat injuries if the were to game carry on without water break. Like I say 25 degree Celsius is well within human limits. It's not as punishing as you imagine. Non of the international games held in that region needs any water break in between and not one heat injuries was reported as far as I know.
Was it 25c pitchside?

Regardless, they all looked knackered. Every team out there did. The heat and humidity plus lack of match fitness at this point combined to make a pressing game all but impossible.

Was it 25c pitchside?

Regardless, they all looked knackered. Every team out there did. The heat and humidity plus lack of match fitness at this point combined to make a pressing game all but impossible.

They are playing in the evening, not under the hot afternoon sun, temperature at pitch or pitchside would be the same.
It's not impossible, stoke did more pressing than us in that first match. I'm not talking about full 90mins press, it will be difficult to sustain that in pre season. It's about simple urgency to get the ball back more often than what we are seeing now.

They are playing in the evening, not under the hot afternoon sun, temperature at pitch or pitchside would be the same.
It's not impossible, stoke did more pressing than us in that first match. I'm not talking about full 90mins press, it will be difficult to sustain that in pre season. It's about simple urgency to get the ball back more often than what we are seeing now.
We still have games left to up the tempo.

I have to say though that I wish we weren't playing a couple of no mark clubs in Scotland before facing Villareal. It should have been the other way around: quality opponents again in the next two matches then taper off in a knockabout match. I really dont see how we're going to be stretched up there. It's a ridiculous choice of opposition.

We still have games left to up the tempo.

I have to say though that I wish we weren't playing a couple of no mark clubs in Scotland before facing Villareal. It should have been the other way around: quality opponents again in the next two matches then taper off in a knockabout match. I really dont see how we're going to be stretched up there. It's a ridiculous choice of opposition.
dunno some of them jocks have usually got a trick or two

Martinez has to have this team seriously up to speed for season's start. Of our first 7 games, only the opener vs Watford 'is a banker', the next 6 games after that, imo, we might be lucky to get a point

Completely disagree. I honestly don't recall a single person wanting him gone during that first season.

Plenty were dubious about his appointment and I was one of them, but when we were doing well there wasn't any criticism of Martinez at all as far as I remember.

Let's be honest though, last season he deserved some flak as the season wasn't acceptable and football was pretty dire.

Do well and you get the plaudits as he did the first season, do [Poor language removed] and you get criticised.

That's the way it should be isn't it?

I could accept the points you make, the problem I have though, is the first sign of a cock-up by Martinez there were lads right on his case (as if they were just biding their time) and that was when things were going well. Last season (I agree he did deserve a lot of flak for a lot of his decisions) the criticism he got verged on the insane, you only had to look at the match threads on here, and post match threads, a lot of the time it was up there with kopite behaviour.

We have played a few pre-season games and there are some shouts for him to be sacked already, lads kicking off because Martinez hasn't signed X,Y and Z, even though the transfer window doesn't shut till Sept 1st, we just need to chill and see what happens.

In my opinion Martinez will have learned from last season and will get it right, if he doesn't, then I'll be one of the first on here having a pop at him, but at the moment, I refuse to go into meltdown.

They're not superb mate. There's only a couple in that category, the rest are a mixture of good PL players, bog standard PL and the dire.

This belief that Martinez is wasting a golden generation is pure conceit/fantasy.
Even still it's a generation of players we've not seen here for many a year. We've not had this kind of opportunity at our club for over 20 years.

Martinez has to have this team seriously up to speed for season's start. Of our first 7 games, only the opener vs Watford 'is a banker', the next 6 games after that, imo, we might be lucky to get a point
Real possibility he may be in trouble by Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back