Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed on Talksport this morning.

Outright said Stones is not for sale.

Repeated that what Terry said about Stones was 'illegal and disrespectful to Everton'.

Also said 'We are a big club, we've won 9 league titles' (actual quote).

Somebody must have had a word, as that's the 2nd time he's brought up our titles in the last couple of weeks.

About time somebody did - for far too long this has been ignored by the media.

In a roundabout way this also puts pressure on the board, as it brings up we've won things, which inevitably leads to the question as to why we haven't for a long time.

Anything that challenges the media perception that the only aspect of being a big club is that you have money right now is good in my book.

He doesn't want to spend all the money on a striker. The majority is on a playmaker. One game- I'll take it if it means he strengthens the squad by the City game. Also people seem to have forgotten Naismith is a striker as well.

But if that one game ends 0-0 or 0-1 because we have no creativity or decent striker because of injuries, and we finish 2 points below 4th we are back to two seasons ago. If it's the first 4 games and the season starts in September again its disastrous

But if that one game ends 0-0 or 0-1 because we have no creativity or decent striker because of injuries, and we finish 2 points below 4th we are back to two seasons ago. If it's the first 4 games and the season starts in September again its disastrous
If we finish 2 points below fourth we will have had an excellent season. Anything above eight will be good.
I still want to believe in Martinez, he seems to be a good guy. The 2 players re-signing has given me a bit of hope that he is working away in the background doing his business. I don't want Everton doing our business through the press, these last week's of the papers linking us with every player going have been very unsettling. It looks like we don't have a clue what we are doing.
I want him to bring in the 3 players he needs in a quiet dignified manner. 3 ball players who will make his tactics work.
I also want to win the lottery.

it's amazing, i have been away for 18 months on a government sponsored excursion and before i left "Bobby Brown Shoe's" was already almost at legend status amongst the fans and not a negative word could be said about him. I come back after one under-performed season, and yes i understand there was a player dispute and his tactical sense he is renowned for wasn't on point, but i feel a lot of un-neccessary negativity being thrown his way.

I honestly believe he is the fresh air this club has needed for a long time and will perform amazingly this season

have faith

#InBobbyITrust

If we finish 2 points below fourth we will have had an excellent season. Anything above eight will be good.
I still want to believe in Martinez, he seems to be a good guy. The 2 players re-signing has given me a bit of hope that he is working away in the background doing his business. I don't want Everton doing our business through the press, these last week's of the papers linking us with every player going have been very unsettling. It looks like we don't have a clue what we are doing.
I want him to bring in the 3 players he needs in a quiet dignified manner. 3 ball players who will make his tactics work.
I also want to win the lottery.

haha i agree - i think its more the system that's broken though witjh deadline day a month after the season has started, having a depleted squad (which we have BEFORE injuries) for these 4 games could damage where we finally end up this season.

...all summer with no money.

What players can you buy with no money? Please give me a list of players who come in and improve us on free transfers.

romero, gourcuff and konoployanka. which equates to about £30m in signing on fees but that doesn't fit my argument haha

Over the course of the latter half of last season, McCarthy evolved and is still going to progress- right now would be a huge mistake.
I had McCarthy as my 2nd best player last season. I would love to hold on to him but he's an expensive asset and we're well stocked in that area.

That's was my only point. The board need to free up money but if that isn't the case it's still no excuse to be starting the season with no left winger or backup striker other than Kone.

It's amazing how quickly Robles has went from zero to hero and now back to zero again.

I'm don't think I can remember any goals we conceded due to a howler either.

For me Robles has always been poor. I can't believe people were praising him last season, he let in a howler in Europe then had a some solid games, not great games but solid.They probably seemed better due to his low standard before. He's not good enough to be a premier league Number 1. Howard may be on the decline but I trust him over Robles any day of the week.

The only way to find out if Robles can cut the mustard as a number one goalie in the premiership is to give him an extended run of games, otherwise all/most opinions are largely based on his cameo roles which by nature will feature gaffs and errors due to nerves and unfamiliarity with the defence in front of him.

For me Robles has always been poor. I can't believe people were praising him last season, he let in a howler in Europe then had a some solid games, not great games but solid.They probably seemed better due to his low standard before. He's not good enough to be a premier league Number 1. Howard may be on the decline but I trust him over Robles any day of the week.
The guy was through one on one. It wasn't great goal keeping by any means but he had been caught in no man's land. Decision making is his biggest weakness by far. How he plans to improve that without game time is anyone's guess.

He was a one man defense in some of those other games.

The only way to find out if Robles can cut the mustard as a number one goalie in the premiership is to give him an extended run of games, otherwise all/most opinions are largely based on his cameo roles which by nature will feature gaffs and errors due to nerves and unfamiliarity with the defence in front of him.

I don't like people writing him off already. he has a bit about him. yes, he's probably not the long term solution, but everyone remembers how flappy and hideous de gea was when he first came (at a young age). robles is still very young, only the really special keepers are top class at his age.

I don't like people writing him off already. he has a bit about him. yes, he's probably not the long term solution, but everyone remembers how flappy and hideous de gea was when he first came (at a young age). robles is still very young, only the really special keepers are top class at his age.

De Gea is younger than Robles to be fair. But I agree, Robles showed some promising signs during his spell in the side, he seemed to be improving every week. it's a shame he was dropped for Howard the minute he came back, because not many keeper progress on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back