Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets look at this properly. Our striker is not 100% Our World class left back is injured. Our great white hope has had his head turned. Our new Spanish wonderkid is injured. We don't have much in the way signings yet. When all/most of these issues have been sorted and we have a run of poo games then we should be asking questions. As for now, buckle in the next 10 games are going to be a ride.

We basically need to sign better players to make us a better team.

If only someone had figured that out earlier we might have been able to beat Watford.

Lets look at this properly. Our striker is not 100% Our World class left back is injured. Our great white hope has had his head turned. Our new Spanish wonderkid is injured. We don't have much in the way signings yet. When all/most of these issues have been sorted and we have a run of poo games then we should be asking questions. As for now, buckle in the next 10 games are going to be a ride.

Head turned? What?

Reading the OTT rubbish on here, asking for the manager to be sacked one game into the season, it seems that we are quickly getting to a point were it will be impossible for anyone to manage Everton, at least in the 'opinion' of some so called 'supporters' on here. Watford will play the same way as they did today all season, and will probably stay up. They are run to a strict plan which is already successful in two European leagues. We did well today to eventually learn to handle their physicality, and take the game to them.Another five or ten minutes and there was only one winner. There are signs that once we get moving a bit quicker from the back, we will produce some excellent football.Kones cameo and Barkleys goal could be turning points and the start of great advances in Robertos five year plan.

It isn't on one game, though. While I didn't see today's game so maybe I have no right to comment, from all accounts we played like we did for most of last season - dull, negative football with little or no penetration. As for failing to handle Watford's physicality, I recall we had exactly the same problem against Crystal Palace in April 2014. Then when the manager openly admits that we were in "pre-season mode" you have to wonder if he's the right man for the job, seeing as getting us ready is his responsibility.

The worry for me is that the first half was identical to last season.

It's too early to call for his head but if in a few months we're playing the same unimaginative, samey, ineffective football then I think we need to think about whether or not he's the man to take us forward.

We need to make a few key signings but we have some really top players. I can't help but think any manager who can't get effective football out of this team is just out of his depth. I mean even putting results aside, the lack of bite, fight and passion we show is just embarrassing.

I think thats why he wants 3 more players.

Really want him to do well but I feel it's getting tough now. The crowd really really are making their point known.

Would love him to just play two out and out wingers in the team for once, just abusing pace out wide.

Which is just daft.

He's basically signed the team he had in his first season, full of potential.

He's just got 2 key players to sign new contracts, and he's also kept Chelsea (for the most part) from buying one of the best young centre backs in the league.

He's come out and said he needs 3 players. He got rid of Alcaraz realising he wasn't good enough. He doesn't think Kone can't cut it.

He's making the right moves.

Bottom line, we aint getting too four and neither is anyone but City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal...so cups and top 8 is all we can aim for which is entirely doable.

I don't know where he gets this widespread reputation as a young, bright, up and coming manager from. His tactics are every bit as dull, negative and unimaginative as Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis. It's just masqueraded as something "continental" because he happens to be a smooth-talking, well dressed Spaniard rather than a fat Northerner with a funny shaped head

Going from season one I could understand his rep, brave, bold in changes etc. But last season was dreadful and today was a "take your pick of any game last season" type of performance.

I'm hopeful something is going to click with this squad, tactics and style of play but I ain't hopeful mate ive got to be honest. Hopefully a couple of signings would certainly help matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back