Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season, pre-season, first game, all the same crap.

In his first season Martinez did nothing to that team, it was Moyes's team and they were playing good football the way Moyes had drilled into them.

Absolute myth Martinez changed the way we played in his first season, total and utter rubbish for anyone to suggest it.

We played cracking football under Moyes his last few seasons, all I see under Martinez is decline, and we've fallen a hell of a long way aswell.

Even during Martinez's first season he was winning a lot of games with Moyes' players coming off the bench. We'd waste countless first halves of games with mindless possession and then spring Osman and Pienaar on from the bench to try and win it in the last 30. We won an awful lot of games by one goal margins, we scored a ridiculous amount of direct free kicks and wonder goals. It was never a formula to create success upon as evidenced by last season where his impact players were injured, the solo goals dried up as confidence went, and the defence became less solid as Moyes' influence waned. Now we concede regularly in games and have no way of turning it around.

Near the end Moyes was struggling to get the best from a talented group of players.

Martinez is currently doing the same.

Stale football, devoid of any spark.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Near the end Moyes was struggling to get the best from a talented group of players.

Martinez is currently doing the same.

Stale football, devoid of any spark.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Moyes struggled with big game mentality. He was an absolute pragmatist though. If we had Arteta Pienaar Baines Osman Donovan in midfield we'd play some great stuff because he knew they could. If we had Neville Rodwell Heitinga and Anichebe in midfield he wouldn't ask them to play the same way, he'd instruct whatever tactics he thought would get the best result and if that meant a horroble defensive direct draw was the best on offer he'd take it. You felt with Moyes he'd need Iniesta and Silva in his team before he'd finally feel confident about going to Stamford Bridge looking for a win.

Martinez however lives in a deluded dream world where he will expect Barkley and Naismith to play on the flanks in exactly the same way Pienaar and Mirallas would. He thinks the same formation and tactics can be used at the Etihad and Watford at home. He's a dreamer that at first sounded quite refreshing but ultimately he's facing the same reality as Moyes, his players aren't good enough to win consistently away at top teams. At least Moyes realised this though, Martinez just thinks we didn't pass it enough of enjoying ourselves enough.

Moyes would have a top 4 challenge with this team. It has more pace and attacking power than any side he had. He'd have a solid defence with an array of holding mids to choose from, and he'd have a 20 goal a season striker upfront with Barkley and Mirallas. In his last few seasons our home record was brilliant under Moyes. He'd have us in the conversation no doubt and we'd probably have finished ahead of Spurs Liverpool and even United last season.

The fans slate Lukaku, Barkley, McCarthy etc. But these are top players who when played in fast free flowing tactics (see Europa League) look top class.

Fact is the buck stops with the manager, I like Martinez but I can't see things changing in all honestly. Yesterday was the same poor tactics and awful defending thay plagued us last season.

If after 10 games we look poor get rid and get someone like Monk or De Boar in, otherwise we'll be midtable again and next summer we really will lose all our best players and not have the pull to attract good enough replacenents.

This season really is [Poor language removed] or bust and I don't think some fans can see that. It's only 1 game which is why I said judge after game 10 but yesterday was not promising at all.

Moyes struggled with big game mentality. He was an absolute pragmatist though. If we had Arteta Pienaar Baines Osman Donovan in midfield we'd play some great stuff because he knew they could. If we had Neville Rodwell Heitinga and Anichebe in midfield he wouldn't ask them to play the same way, he'd instruct whatever tactics he thought would get the best result and if that meant a horroble defensive direct draw was the best on offer he'd take it. You felt with Moyes he'd need Iniesta and Silva in his team before he'd finally feel confident about going to Stamford Bridge looking for a win.

Martinez however lives in a deluded dream world where he will expect Barkley and Naismith to play on the flanks in exactly the same way Pienaar and Mirallas would. He thinks the same formation and tactics can be used at the Etihad and Watford at home. He's a dreamer that at first sounded quite refreshing but ultimately he's facing the same reality as Moyes, his players aren't good enough to win consistently away at top teams. At least Moyes realised this though, Martinez just thinks we didn't pass it enough of enjoying ourselves enough.

Moyes would have a top 4 challenge with this team. It has more pace and attacking power than any side he had. He'd have a solid defence with an array of holding mids to choose from, and he'd have a 20 goal a season striker upfront with Barkley and Mirallas. In his last few seasons our home record was brilliant under Moyes. He'd have us in the conversation no doubt and we'd probably have finished ahead of Spurs Liverpool and even United last season.

You had me for a moment then spoilt it

You can rib the crap out of me but if we were talking a change of manager I'd have Redknapp at the top of my alternatives, yeah he's a dodgy Kunt, but he knows how to manage players and knows how to play attacking football.

He'd do well here, he's got a great set of players to work with, I love Bobby as a bloke, but he's got a great squad here and it's going to waste under him.

You're right, he is a dodgy so and so, but don't swear.

Mark Hughes, Harry Redknapp and Sam Alardyce.

PMSL.

We have a manager, the one who got us our highest ever PL points total.

Those three muppets would take 60 years between them trying to rack that total up.

90 minutes into the season and the usual suspects cant hold their own water.

I must say, I thought it'd take 3 or 4 losing matches before they had the face to suggest a change. I gave them too much credit. 90 minutes. Ha Ha Ha. FFS.
To be fair mate it's not just 90 minutes though. It's been months of the same style of football that just doesn't work, the same tactics, everything is as if we've just picked up from where we left off from May.

I'm not calling for his head just yet but it's not just one game.

His obsession with 4-2-3-1 does my nut in.

The only width in that system comes from the full backs, and when you've got a CB in one of those berths, you don't need to be a football genius to figure out that you're going to lack penetration down that flank.

Our play is so plodding and static, we have aimless possession and then invariably end up punting an aimless ball into the channel, as we've run out of options due to the lack of width.

Last season, pre-season, first game, all the same crap.
In his first season Martinez did nothing to that team, it was Moyes's team and they were playing good football the way Moyes had drilled into them.Absolute myth Martinez changed the way we played in his first season, total and utter rubbish for anyone to suggest it. We played cracking football under Moyes his last few seasons, all I see under Martinez is decline, and we've fallen a hell of a long way aswell.

Cracking football. That's a novel way of describing the Gaelic football that Moyes introduced into the club.

The feller was a throwback to the 1950s. I'm amazed he didn't have them walking on the pitch with brylcreemed hair and diving boots.

The Young Boys away game last year was the Everton we want to see, fast paced passing and movement everywhere.
Yes. Now all someone has to do is to tell all the parasite teams that sit back to kindly play further up the pitch so we can bomb on behind them.

To be fair mate it's not just 90 minutes though. It's been months of the same style of football that just doesn't work, the same tactics, everything is as if we've just picked up from where we left off from May.

I'm not calling for his head just yet but it's not just one game.
The real yardstick is what he's doing the same with all the new players we'll bring in this summer....which is what change was predicated upon.

Maybe we should reserve judgement till then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back