Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is though.

Listen to what he says. You will learn alot.

sucking-up.jpg

I can't even argue with you about this sadly mate - it's just too ridiculous.

Nothing against Clarke at all but... 'kin hell.
Anyone who's part of a league winning team effort is more of a legend than someone who got on as a sub in a cup final win.

Under what criteria is Clarke lagging behind the galoot on: strangling Stefan Freund? Belting burglars? Racing pigeon ownership?

Anyone who's part of a league winning team effort is more of a legend than someone who got on as a sub in a cup final win.

Under what criteria is Clarke lagging behind the galoot on: strangling Stefan Freund? Belting burglars? Racing pigeon ownership?

By that logic, Robbie Wakenshaw is a bigger club legend than Duncan Ferguson...

*sigh*

Why has Martinez failed to prepare our team for the new season ahead for two consecutive pre seasons?

I thought they looked fit and ok 2nd half. 1st half was just dreadful mind. Jury is out with me, but on balance, there is a sound manager there. But with some bewildering/dogmatic/stubborn issues that do get my goat.

And like some have said, we have no idea what transfer constraints he is or isnt working under.

Last year, it was reasonably common knowledge that something wasnt right behind the scenes. This year, other than the WHP "are we arnt" stuff going on, which Martinez probably isnt really that involved in, if anyone is, things should be stable. Players signing new contracts, dealing with Stones pretty well, imo, shows that.

He needs backing. I believe he will be.

Then we will see what we have in charge.

But another 45 minutes like the 1st half on Saturday, jeez.

So tell me, why he is DF a club legend. Over to you....

He inspired an entire generation of Evertonians with his take no prisoners attitude at a time when the club was dead in the water and needed some inspiration and a hero to get behind. So much so that 30'000 plus attended a game the other day and roared Goodison's roof off when he simply jumped for a header.

He lived and breathed the club from the moment he arrived and gave memories to fans that otherwise would have pretty much none whatsoever for the best part of a decade.

He inspired an entire generation of Evertonians with his take no prisoners attitude at a time when the club was dead in the water and needed some inspiration and a hero to get behind. So much so that 30'000 plus attended a game the other day and roared Goodison's roof off when he simply jumped for a header.

He lived and breathed the club from the moment he arrived and gave memories to fans that otherwise would have pretty much none whatsoever for the best part of a decade.
So nothing concrete then?

Pienaar made 23 appearances (19 starts) and Osman played more times than any other plauyer barring Mirallas in that first season. Guile is what we need and what he hasn't had at his disposal for a long time. Eto'o I think he believed would provide it, but he really just played for himself.

If he purchases a quality playmaker there really is no hiding place for Martinez if we're not well ensconced in the top half of the table come next May. That's a very big if for me though.

Wouldn't disagree with that.

A striker was top priority last Summer and guile is top priority this Summer. Get it right, and he'll be given more time. Get it wrong and he's on shaky ground, which is why he's paid so well.

Assuming he gets it right, then someone else with a bit of guile will be needed next Summer, at which point Pienaar and Osman, who have been our players with quick feet and quick minds for many years, will be, at best, second string.

Sounds easy really.

Moyes struggled with big game mentality. He was an absolute pragmatist though. If we had Arteta Pienaar Baines Osman Donovan in midfield we'd play some great stuff because he knew they could. If we had Neville Rodwell Heitinga and Anichebe in midfield he wouldn't ask them to play the same way, he'd instruct whatever tactics he thought would get the best result and if that meant a horroble defensive direct draw was the best on offer he'd take it. You felt with Moyes he'd need Iniesta and Silva in his team before he'd finally feel confident about going to Stamford Bridge looking for a win.

Martinez however lives in a deluded dream world where he will expect Barkley and Naismith to play on the flanks in exactly the same way Pienaar and Mirallas would. He thinks the same formation and tactics can be used at the Etihad and Watford at home. He's a dreamer that at first sounded quite refreshing but ultimately he's facing the same reality as Moyes, his players aren't good enough to win consistently away at top teams. At least Moyes realised this though, Martinez just thinks we didn't pass it enough of enjoying ourselves enough.

Moyes would have a top 4 challenge with this team. It has more pace and attacking power than any side he had. He'd have a solid defence with an array of holding mids to choose from, and he'd have a 20 goal a season striker upfront with Barkley and Mirallas. In his last few seasons our home record was brilliant under Moyes. He'd have us in the conversation no doubt and we'd probably have finished ahead of Spurs Liverpool and even United last season.

Top post this.

Top post this.

It is... but I disagree with the last paragraph. It contradicts the opening sentence.

Moyes did not have a big game mentality. As such, he'd bottle it no matter if things were in his favour or not - see the Wigan game in the FA Cup for details.

He'd have us comfortably top six with this squad, but after a decade of watching him as Everton manager I'm almost certain he wouldn't have got us in the top four.

Other than that, I agree with it. He was a pragmatic manager - in fact, he was too pragmatic in that he played things safe when he should have went for it as a way of preserving his reputation, specifically in his last few years here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back