Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes it easier if hard cash is handed to Martinez rather than empty promises.

I know it'll be seen as a fudge, but I really cant see how this feller can be condemned if this window slams shuts and he's spent the current amount he's spent on players so far or even a couple more million on top.

He needs to be doing permanent signings and loans to the tune of another £20M no problem to be in anyone's cross hairs.

Keep a manager on rather than let him go at the end of last season? Fine. But if you do (and you ask him to sort the problems out) dont starve him of funds, because that is completely out of order.

I think we will see spending, but it really is a poor transfer window strategy the club have put in place here this summer.

Martinez has had cash but has never sought to address our creativity problem in any of the windows he's presided over. He really didn't need to buy all of Barry, Besic , McCarthy and Cleverley. They are similar players and none of them are creative. He also had a choice about signing a different striker rather than spending our entire budget on Lukaku. Moyes picked up Pienaar and Arteta for 2 mill each, Gibson for 500k, Osman was out of the academy. It helps to have 20 mill to solve a playmaker shortage but you can't just pack your team with centre mids and do nothing to address the problem. Martinez had Osman on the bench v Watford, he could have used McCaleny, he could have started with Barkley or Cleverley deep and central. All these things would have boosted our guile. He chose to do none of them though and then watched a match unfold and only changed it late on. Martinez has no excuses left. Buy a playmaker, simple as that, if we've not got the budget then scout a bit better or use what small amounts of guile we already have. This is absolutely his squad now and he'll live or die by it this season.

Keep a manager on rather than let him go at the end of last season? Fine. But if you do (and you ask him to sort the problems out) dont starve him of funds, because that is completely out of order.

I think we will see spending, but it really is a poor transfer window strategy the club have put in place here this summer.

Just because have spent next to nowt doesn't mean there is no money there available, has Martinez even got any targets in mind? Over the last few months we have seen a lot of players sign new deals, so behind the scenes the club have been working hard but has Martinez been finding targets for us to buy? That is the real worry.

Martinez ' still in pre season mode '.

What does that even really mean? Him and his staff are paid decent wedge to prepare this team to the best of their ability for a new season. How can we go out there on the opening day of a new season and start like we did? That's down to the manager for me as quite clearly the 2nd half saw some response....

For me at least, something isn't right. Carbon copy of last year.

I took it as a reference to the fact we were taken aback at how quickly and aggressively Watford started. Not that we were under cooked or unfit.

Which happens. It was miles better in the 2nd half. Which if we were unprepared or unfit, it wouldnt have been.

But I am far from happy. Just, without wanting to come across as some latter day follower of the Martinez church, the distractions of last season have gone. Evidence. Players out, long term contracts signed.

IF, he is backed with cash, we will know soon enough if we have the manager of his first season, or a fraud.

It makes it easier if hard cash is handed to Martinez rather than empty promises.

I know it'll be seen as a fudge, but I really cant see how this feller can be condemned if this window slams shuts and he's spent the current amount he's spent on players so far or even a couple more million on top.

He needs to be doing permanent signings and loans to the tune of another £20M no problem to be in anyone's cross hairs.

I'm 98% sure he has a half way decent budget to play with. The actual amount is likely to be fluid in that he'll have to fully justify spending more than 15 million in total.

That means he has to take things closer to the wire than is ideal. But Martinez will have been under no illusions on the finances at Everton when he took the job so, though we as fans can complain about the situation, he can't really complain. He worked under a very tight budget under Whelan, which was probably a plus when it came to hiring him.

Martinez has had cash but has never sought to address our creativity problem in any of the windows he's presided over. He really didn't need to buy all of Barry, Besic , McCarthy and Cleverley. They are similar players and none of them are creative. He also had a choice about signing a different striker rather than spending our entire budget on Lukaku. Moyes picked up Pienaar and Arteta for 2 mill each, Gibson for 500k, Osman was out of the academy. It helps to have 20 mill to solve a playmaker shortage but you can't just pack your team with centre mids and do nothing to address the problem. Martinez had Osman on the bench v Watford, he could have used McCaleny, he could have started with Barkley or Cleverley deep and central. All these things would have boosted our guile. He chose to do none of them though and then watched a match unfold and only changed it late on. Martinez has no excuses left. Buy a playmaker, simple as that, if we've not got the budget then scout a bit better or use what small amounts of guile we already have. This is absolutely his squad now and he'll live or die by it this season.
His first season he had Osman and Pienaar in the squad and strengthened elsewhere. They played a lot of games for him. Last summer we had to get a striker sorted out and good strikers cost. That;'s how we got Lukaku and not much else. Then Pienaar and Osman both get crocked. He did bring Eto'o in in anticipation of those ageing players breaking down but it didn't happen for him, by and large. Now he's desperate to get a playmaker in and has stated so on many occasions.

In all of that ^^^ how can it be said Martinez has been dilatory in sorting out creativity for this team?

Just because have spent next to nowt doesn't mean there is no money there available, has Martinez even got any targets in mind? Over the last few months we have seen a lot of players sign new deals, so behind the scenes the club have been working hard but has Martinez been finding targets for us to buy? That is the real worry.

Question: does it fit the Martinez profile to drag feet on signing players, or does it fit the profile of Kenwright and co.?

I know what answer most would give.

I'm 98% sure he has a half way decent budget to play with. The actual amount is likely to be fluid in that he'll have to fully justify spending more than 15 million in total.

That means he has to take things closer to the wire than is ideal. But Martinez will have been under no illusions on the finances at Everton when he took the job so, though we as fans can complain about the situation, he can't really complain. He worked under a very tight budget under Whelan, which was probably a plus when it came to hiring him.

I'm assuming loan deals fall outside that total, if not we may as well forget this season.

He let the two centre backs go (Distin and Alcaraz) which was understandable as he fell out with Distin and Alcaraz has the turning circle of a distant planet and the speed of a slug with a broken foot. What I see the problem being is that no other CB wants to turn up and be bench fodder. One that would wont have the quality to displace Stones or Jagielka so Martinez gets a pasting from fans for bulking out the squad with no mark players or goes out and spend large on a player to fit into CB demoting one of the two we have and that still doesnt address the player required for the joined up football in the position between the CMs and Lukaku.

Wiki says Shaq is 5 foot 7 inches tall. If we are setting up to play to the flanks and attack from there wheres the beast looking to be fed that we are setting up to play to? Say we got Lennon - wed have Lennon Deulofeu Mirallas McGeady for the I assume right wing slot.
If we are setup to play hard counter attack football then we need to be much more defensively solid and we have never been more open and exposed in over a decade to how we are now.

I just do not understand. We seem stuck between two styles of play and are not committed (and not successful) with either.

His first season he had Osman and Pienaar in the squad and strengthened elsewhere. They played a lot of games for him. Last summer we had to get a striker sorted out and good strikers cost. That;'s how we got Lukaku and not much else. Then Pienaar and Osman both get crocked. He did bring Eto'o in in anticipation of those ageing players breaking down but it didn't happen for him, by and large. Now he's desperate to get a playmaker in and has stated so on many occasions.

In all of that ^^^ how can it be said Martinez has been dilatory in sorting out creativity for this team?

Why not in January last season? And do you think it wise he went into a season with Osman and Pienaar as his only creative outlets? They were both over 30, even if they had stayed fit they couldn't both play 90 mins every match. It was naive to think this then stupid to do nothing about in January. Same principle applies to Gibson, since his injuries Martinez has bought Besic, resigned Barry and bought Cleverley, none of these players replace Gibsons playmaking ability from deep. We've now started a third season with no sign of any creative incomings. We're now hoping we can pull off a last minute deal. Whoever arrives will be a year too late.

Lets see who he brings in, if there decent we can go upwards in the lg, if the board dont back him he will be gone by jan as the footy on dispay is boring , and they will be looking for a scapegoat, he needs backing as the current squad /tactics are not up to the job and he knows it.

Why not in January last season? And do you think it wise he went into a season with Osman and Pienaar as his only creative outlets? They were both over 30, even if they had stayed fit they couldn't both play 90 mins every match. It was naive to think this then stupid to do nothing about in January. Same principle applies to Gibson, since his injuries Martinez has bought Besic, resigned Barry and bought Cleverley, none of these players replace Gibsons playmaking ability from deep. We've now started a third season with no sign of any creative incomings. We're now hoping we can pull off a last minute deal. Whoever arrives will be a year too late.
I said he brought Eto'o in to give insurance in that respect. It was very unfortunate both Osman and Pienaar broke down for large chunks of the season, Should he have signed a creative player in January? Yes, I think he should. But he chose with what funds were available (ie nothing but a loan deal's wages) to bring in Lennon, who he rightly saw as someone who could put a bomb under the pace of our attack. Good call as far as I'm concerned. Lennon had a big impact.

If only the board would back Martinez with enough money to bring in the current Barcelona team to play his system we might be able to beat the likes of Watford at home.

But if he just isn't good enough to have us at least level with his predecessor on a regular basis under the same financial contraints then it's all someone else's fault.

Quit tağging dave in on every post mate.
It was amusing at first, but just makes you look like a WUM now

What do you mean now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back