Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is Martinez isn't my favourite manager or yours or probably even Dave's. But we need to keep our faith in him. He brought us ourbest season since the 80s. If by the end of the September we're in the bottom three-im all for sacking him.

The thing is Martinez isn't my favourite manager or yours or probably even Dave's. But we need to keep our faith in him. He brought us ourbest season since the 80s. If by the end of the September we're in the bottom three-im all for sacking him.
I'd be inclined to give any manager a little more time than that. The upcoming run of games is a beast. A lot will have to do with the nature of the performances as well as the results. For instance, Stoke lost but I would see no cause for concern based on that performance. In some ways, I'd be happier with that performance than ours. If we get tonked a number of times and the players' heads have dropped than he goes.

I looked at Swansea's football last night quick fie passing entertaining loads of chances - what's gone wrong with all this Tippy Tappy stuff with defensive midfielders and so slow with no width??????

Then it'll be "we've played all the hard teams so watch how we fly up the league..."

Tbh I'd only want him gone if we can get someone better. That was always my thinking when Moyes was here and it hasn't changed. Right now though I think there are many managers who can do better than having us in lower mid table so he has a lot of world to do.

It's a tricky one! I'm no Martinez fan anymore. IMO he's been found out and is probably just an average manager who over believes in his own philosophy. Successful quality managers philosophy is winning any way possible!

However as you said, no point replacing like for like for the sake of it with someone similar who could turn out the same if not worse.

I think we're at a stage where if we were to replace him, we as a club and the squad of players here young and old need a high calibre experienced manager. Someone like ancelotti (I know, I know not gonna happen) who can take the club and players on a level.

I'd be happy to stick with Martinez if he just showed a maturing as a manager. That he could mix it up and be open to playing different football to be succesfull with the players at his disposable. But unfortunately I don't see that happening and it will eventually lose him his job. Shame!

I looked at Swansea's football last night quick fie passing entertaining loads of chances - what's gone wrong with all this Tippy Tappy stuff with defensive midfielders and so slow with no width??????

Swansea...One of the most pleasing teams to watch. Good movement, direct fast flowing football. Surprising enough they don't need hundreds of millions of pounds investment

Question: does it fit the Martinez profile to drag feet on signing players, or does it fit the profile of Kenwright and co.?

I know what answer most would give.

I get what you are saying about Kenwright but i think we have to look closer at Martinez.

Since he has been here has has shown no sign that he knows that transfare market at all, apart from Besic who has he really gone out and found? Kenwright and Co must be doing something with all the contacts that players have been signing recently but what is Marinez doing to strengthen the squad in terms of new faces?

This thread is no

It was a game of two halves. We were much better in the second half. And I saw some positives: Cleverly looks tidy; Kone scored and assisted; Ross scored a screamer; we came back twice from behind (of course we shouldn't be going behind twice to Watford). No one is happy with yesterday's performance or result, but the level of hysteria and doomsaying (we're going to be bottom of the league by October!!! They clouds will turn into cannons and rain down hellfire on us) on here is simply pathetic. Wait to we've been beat three in a row before you start panicking. It was a draw at home. Chelsea drew at home; Arsenal lost at home. Perspective.

Mate as so often last season. Game of 2 halves, saw some positives but ultimately we didn't get 3 points.

AND this is with a very good squad of players...were not talking the days of early moyes when he was trying to get us points with a relegation quality squad...this is a top 6 bunch of players.

We have definately been found out with Martinez's tippy tappy passing, his 1st season it was like a breath of fresh air but last season it was stale . Unfortunately yesterday it was no difference and the defence passing it around just wastes time and also puts the fear of god into me as i am expecting a mistake to happen any minute. He does not seem like he has a plan B if things are not working and that's my main worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back