Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of last season I wrote a fairly critical piece about Martinez.

I suggested he had until Christmas to prove his doubters wrong. To do so he'd have to have had a good pre-season, a strong transfer window, and evidence of significant improvements on the pitch.

I'm still prepared to give him that time before passing further comment. I'm aware that significant efforts are being made to support him in the transfer market (sorry not prepared to go into details) which I hope will bear fruit possibly this week and certainly before the window closes.

Then it will be down to him and the players to prove his value as a manager.

Seriously though, the thing that gets me about these turbulent spirits is that they point to this example and that example from season one and season two...but they'd already made their minds up to resolutely oppose Martinez before he signed up to become manager! Then they're having a go at posters who offer some support to their manager for not recognising the facts.

It's pretty hilarious when you think about it.
The present is all that matters. Same as it always does in football.

You're merely obsessed about your initial viewpoint and your desire for it to somehow be proven 'right'.

Anyone who isn't concerned about the season ahead of us given what we witnessed on Saturday following on from last years early season form, is either deluded or buried in their agenda..........

I suggested he had until Christmas to prove his doubters wrong. To do so he'd have to have had a good pre-season, a strong transfer window, and evidence of significant improvements on the pitch.

I'm still prepared to give him that time before passing further comment. I'm aware that significant efforts are being made to support him in the transfer market (sorry not prepared to go into details) which I hope will bear fruit possibly this week and certainly before the window closes.

...and that should be that. But it wont be, because we have a cabal of posters who want to drag the whole forum down the road of a witch hunt 90 minutes into the new season after a draw.

I'll never understand these people. To have that hatred for an Everton manager. You'd think he was a terrible villain of some description.

*sigh*

You're merely obsessed about your initial viewpoint and your desire for it to somehow be proven 'right'.

Anyone who isn't concerned about the season ahead of us given what we witnessed on Saturday following on from last years early season form, is either deluded or buried in their agenda..........
...and right on cue a turbulent spirit materialises.

The thing is Martinez isn't my favourite manager or yours or probably even Dave's. But we need to keep our faith in him. He brought us ourbest season since the 80s. If by the end of the September we're in the bottom three-im all for sacking him.

We won the FA Cup in 1995. Surely that was a better season overall.

Also he was bequeathed a solid disciplined defence which he benefited from that season. But he took it for granted, didn't continue working on it, and as a result we now leak goals like a sieve.

I'm aware that significant efforts are being made to support him in the transfer market (sorry not prepared to go into details) which I hope will bear fruit possibly this week and certainly before the window closes.

An ITK mod, how exciting.

I'm hearing Martinez is trying to convince Riquelme to come out of retirement, can you confirm?

Last edited:

...and that should be that. But it wont be, because we have a cabal of posters who want to drag the whole forum down the road of a witch hunt 90 minutes into the new season after a draw.

I'll never understand these people. To have that hatred for an Everton manager. You'd think he was a terrible villain of some description.

*sigh*

Can you point me to any posts that have said we should actually sack him at this moment in time? People who wanted him gone either wanted him gone in the summer, or are willing to wait until midway through this season to see where we are. Also, people aren't stupid enough to think that Kenwright would realistically consider sacking him after one game of the season anyway

Yep.

It's this formula.

A - Set an agenda.
B - No matter what, don't deviate from that agenda.
C - Belittle anything contrary to said agenda.

It's a shame, because valid points are often made and intelligently expressed, but it's difficult to take them seriously when you know the opinion expressed is done so only if it rigidly sits in the predefined agenda.

It does make a funny internet forum persona though - which is ultimately what the two are!

Well that's encouraging. Either you've got a genuine source or you've bought the club. I'm going with the latter because it's more exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back