Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said he brought Eto'o in to give insurance in that respect. It was very unfortunate both Osman and Pienaar broke down for large chunks of the season, Should he have signed a creative player in January? Yes, I think he should. But he chose with what funds were available (ie nothing but a loan deal's wages) to bring in Lennon, who he rightly saw as someone who could put a bomb under the pace of our attack. Good call as far as I'm concerned. Lennon had a big impact.

The Etoo excuse is clutching at straws a bit. A 35 year old to cover the two 33 year olds? Foolish, especially considering how poorly Etoo played as well, he wasn't creative at all. He should have been nothing more than striker cover, instead we ended up playing the dreaded three number 10 formation of Barkley Naismith and Etoo behind Lukaku. It didn't work. It doesn't work now. He should have fixed it last year, he had to fix it now because we will not go anywhere this season if we continue with this group of players.

I think the key difference is in the squads. Moyes took s lot of flak for being cautious at certain grounds but you look at some of the teams he had to work with and it was a miracle we were anywhere near the top 6. Some of the strike forces we had were shocking (Stracquilarsi McFadden and Anichebe at one point).

Martinez is as negative/poor with his record against the big teams away from home. If you look at how we approach those games there's absolutely no difference.

We have a very good squad now, probably better than anything we had on the Moyes era. There's no doubt in my mind they're being undersold now and it's mainly due to negative tactics of playing midfielders who have very little impact in the final third of the pitch.

I mean, starting with 2 holding midfielders against Watford at home. What's the actual thinking behind that? It doesn't even give our defence better protection, simply results in us being slower and less expansive with ball. He's absolutely obsessed with Barry being in the team which is just bizarre to me.

I think we should hang fire a bit with the comments and replies, put this game behind us and let's look to the next game to see how that turns out - team selection, subs, tactics and strategy.

1 game in. (shakes head at the bed wetters)

People were saying that last year early on as well when it was obvious something wasn't right. Let's be honest, if it gets to October and we're languishing in the lower reaches then the sentiment will be that he should be ousted. The next few weeks are huge for Martinez.

A top class substitution from an astute manager would have won us the game, you set your standards quite low, are you Bill Kenwright by any chance

Don't be ridiculous. A top class substitution from an astute manager doesn't always win you the game..it just gives you a better chance of playing successfully. If you think that every time a manager makes the right decision, he wins a game, you have watched very little and know very little about football, or indeed about life. The right decisions don't always work, they just improve your chances. Your post is simply baiting, with no substance. Sometimes teams just 'play better'
Incidentally, what has Bill Kenwright got to do with this discussion? Was it his decision to send on Kone ?:)

People were saying that last year early on as well when it was obvious something wasn't right. Let's be honest, if it gets to October and we're languishing in the lower reaches then the sentiment will be that he should be ousted. The next few weeks are huge for Martinez.

I think we'll be bottom 3 by October. Our run of fixtures combined with RM is a reciepe for disaster!

Don't be ridiculous. A top class substitution from an astute manager doesn't always win you the game..it just gives you a better chance of playing successfully. If you think that every time a manager makes the right decision, he wins a game, you have watched very little and know very little about football, or indeed about life. The right decisions don't always work, they just improve your chances. Your post is simply baiting, with no substance. Sometimes teams just 'play better'
Incidentally, what has Bill Kenwright got to do with this discussion? Was it his decision to send on Kone ?:)

They really are off the scale

You do all realise you're getting annoyed by two people basically playing fictional super-villain character personas on a football forum right?

I think we'll be bottom 3 by October. Our run of fixtures combined with RM is a reciepe for disaster!

Then it'll be "we've played all the hard teams so watch how we fly up the league..."

Tbh I'd only want him gone if we can get someone better. That was always my thinking when Moyes was here and it hasn't changed. Right now though I think there are many managers who can do better than having us in lower mid table so he has a lot of world to do.

This is a discussion . Not for me.. Don't know were else too post my rant so it goes here

Dead wood I'm my eyes. Get rid.
He's gonna take us down the plonker.

This thread is no
People aren't just basing their opinion on one game though. It's the fact we were turgid week in week out last season and it doesn't look to have changed.
It was a game of two halves. We were much better in the second half. And I saw some positives: Cleverly looks tidy; Kone scored and assisted; Ross scored a screamer; we came back twice from behind (of course we shouldn't be going behind twice to Watford). No one is happy with yesterday's performance or result, but the level of hysteria and doomsaying (we're going to be bottom of the league by October!!! They clouds will turn into cannons and rain down hellfire on us) on here is simply pathetic. Wait to we've been beat three in a row before you start panicking. It was a draw at home. Chelsea drew at home; Arsenal lost at home. Perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back